The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Tmwoodall

Pushrod length replacement or New?

Summary/Questions at bottom for shorter reading.

I have the pushrods that came from my engine before I rebuilt it. If you have followed my bits and pieces on here you probably know I started with a head swap and have ended up with almost an entirely new (new or new to me) engine. I am down to the pushrods. When I used the TrickFlow checker and then compared it to the originals it was a TINY bit shorter. So tonight I put the originals back and and noticed that it also put the wear line across the valve spring tip in the center.

Now depending on which tape measure I trust the stockers (what was in the engine at least) are 7.75 +/1 1/16 or so. I assume this means they are 7.750 length 7/16 diamater rods. Does this sound normal for a SBC? I went with the comp 274 cam and have Edelbrock 60899 heads with guideplates.

Here is where the important question comes in, if my PR length measurement seems within the scope of normal, do I need to replace them and get hardened ones? Is there any way to visually check the set I have to see if they are hardened? Sure would be nice to drop those suckers in, set my valve lash and finish this engine up tomorrow.

Summary:
1. Does 7.75 sound like a correct/normal pushrod length for a SBC?
2. How can I tell if what I have on hand from PO are hardened or normal?
3. Will it matter with my mild cam and guideplates if they are hardened or not?

Also for all of you helping me get this far, pic of progress is attached. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Pushrod length replacement or New?

If the pushrods are marking dead center of the valve tip, they are the proper lenght.....as far as what the PO did(nobody has a clue!). You say 7/16 on the pushrods.....I know for fact that the edelbrock RPM'S are running 5/16 dia pushrods(I have a set on my 383). Unless the PO changed out the guideplates, & drilled the pushrod holes, something is up crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Tmwoodall

Prods are from po. Heads I bought recently. I probably just measured wrong as this I my first go around I just put them on a slide ruler and the total rod thickness was around 7/16. Guideplates are stock non drilled. Chalk that up to ignorance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Tmwoodall

Comp Recommends: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-7644-16

Seem like a good fit, or is it overkill?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Are you sure about those measurements? The standard diameter is 5/16" and the "heavy duty" push rods measure 3/8".

7/16" is heavy duty Big Block stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote