The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
samwise68
FarmBoy.

'67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Hey all. I'd like to introduce you to Betty.

She's not much to look at right now, but she should clean up pretty nice.

I picked her up for $500 off of a Craigslist ad about 30 miles north of her. She's a typical Wisconsin car, with all the Wisconsin problems - namely, rust.

Complete with a 194 cid 6 cylinder, and three on the tree. A whopping 40,xxx miles. Hubcaps. Am radio. Stock interior. And rust, lots of rust.

Plans are very much like my truck - fix it, drive it, break it, and repeat. I need to fix the rust, the rear frame rails, floor pans...etc. Typical body work. And then comes the engine.

It'll be a 250, bored .030 over, with 307 pistons. The head is going to get bigger valves, the bolt boss removed and possibly lump ports. An Offenhauser triple single 3x1 intake with Monojets will find it's way onto the engine, along with a set of headers. While it's a part, it'll get a bigger cam, somewhere about .500-inches of lift at 260-280 duration.

Exhaust will probably be glass or steel packs, or maybe 2-chamber mufflers. I'm undecided, as I want the sixy sound, but nothing too high pitched, resembling a sewing machine.

The three speed will be used for now, and I'm contemplating between keeping the stock column shift, or switching to an aftermarket Hurst shifter. Depending on what gear ratio it has, those could be changed for better bottom end, but we'll see.

The rear end will get some steeper gears when funds allows, possibly in the 3.5-3.7 range. As far as stance, I'm looking at 14's in the front, 15's in the back, with as wide of tire as I can fit into the meager wheel well, while keeping the stock caps.

Aside from that, I'm thinking a red paint job is in it's future, possibly IH Red, as it should go well with the stock fawn colored interior, which is in too good of condition for me to worry about recovering the seats.

All in all, a clean semi-daily driver thats different, has character, and won't be too much of a slouch. Oh, and won't cost me an arm and a leg to do. Being in college has it's limits. If the car were a person, I'd like to think she'd be the nerdy yet cute girl in class. The one where you're like, "Hmm...if she just took those glasses off, and didn't braid her hair..." kinda deals. Yeah, you know the ones. And then they turn out to be a real hell-raiser after a few drinks. Thats exactley what I'm going for.

So, Once I got her home, I started to tear 'er apart.

Got the interior stripped.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993

Last edited by samwise68; 03-06-2009 at 08:54 PM.
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Got the engine and tranny out.

and the front stub unbolted and rolled out, after removing the front clip, to get it ready for dismanteling and repairs.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
samwise68
FarmBoy.

The seat, and random trim and cardboard behind the back seat.

The pattern isn't the greatest, nor the color. It's from a base sedan, Model 100, for cryin' out loud, what do I expect? But it's growing on me - and it should add to the "Charming plain jane" feel I'm going for.

The new heart, pre-rebuild. Pulled it out of a '68 C20 out back, originally came out of a Chevy van, I think? My dad did the swap, and thats what he said. So we'll go with it.

And the 1967 Wisconsin Inspection Sticker, in the windsheild. That's definitely staying.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I spent the past couple of days working on making a dolly of sorts for the front end of the shell.

I made slotted plates that bolt onto the front stub mount, and welded them to piece of pipe, with angle iron chunks welded to the pipe to provide a flat on flat surface for the weld.

Then, I bent a piece of pipe, hapzardly and half assed, to make a yoke for a wheel I found out back. I then welded a stub of pipe onto that, which fit into a piece of pipe I welded onto the crossbar.

The camera's batteries died when I took this, so, bear with the poor quality. I'll bolt it on this weekend, and see if it works.

It's just a way I'll be able to move the shell, while the front end is unbolted. Plus, it should allow for some pretty tight cornering in the garage, thanks to the swivel mounted wheel. After it's repositioned, it'll be put back on jackstands, safe and sound.

And thats about where she stands for now. As I make a few more dollars and get further into it, progress will come at a more steady rate. But until then, I'm doing what I can that's free and cheap, and doing the best with what I have on hand.

Let's hear it!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
Frizzle Fry

Love that body style. Looks like it will keep you busy for a while. Keep it up!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Thanks Mike!

Yeah, she'll keep me quite busy...for quite a while...I hope to get cranking on it as it warms up.

I'm going to address the rear end first, since the trunk pan is shot. Then I can get the car to sit level, go to the floor pans, and then quarter repair. Easier said than done.

I'll keep you all updated,

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
JDL

have fun I put Competition Engineering Rear Frame Rails on mine
work a lot beter than the old stuf. i have some more stuff left to.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Competition+En...49702/10002/-1
Agency Iowa
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
Jvsapp

wow thats a whole floor replacement. lots more work than what i had to do on my 63. i'll be looking forward to watching your buildup.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
samwise68
FarmBoy.

JDL, thanks for the link on the frame rails. It'd be nice to have an aftermarket front and rear in it, but right now, it's just not in the works I fear. Though I'm always willing to take extra parts off peoples hands...haha.

Jvsapp - yeah, there really isn't much of a floor left. But, after looking it over, it shouldn't be anymore difficult than floor pan, rockers and cab corners on a pickup. Atleast, I hope...haha.

I'm going to be making an arch to lift the back of the car to address the trunk rust, and get the leaf springs from poking through the pan. I'll be sure to take pictures and show you all what I'm working with here...lol.

I'll keep you posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Jvsapp

this would make it easier, but you would still need to make the toe boards
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/62-63...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Jvsapp - Thanks for the link. A full floor pan would make my life alot easier. I'm considering a 2 half one, tho, since it's almost 200 dollars cheaper, if my price checking is up to par. We'll see how the dollars fall in the future though,

And just a quick update - I made my rear end lift today, and got the back end cranked up.

The rear frame rails are in better shape than I thought. Only the very ends are gone, and the rest seem to be good and solid. Further inspection will verify this - if so, it'll reudce how much I have to do considerably, haha.

Also pulled the gas tank and the trunk lid, along with the read bumper.

Pretty soon I'll have to start whacking and welding I suppose...

Also, I confered with Brad on the board, and in an effort not to steal the legacy of his truck, "Six Appeal", I'd like to give this car, along with her name of Betty, the title of "Six Appeal II". Pinstriping and lettering may come further down the road to appropriately display this title.

Thats it for now, I'll get some pics up soon.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post

So, Once I got her home, I started to tear 'er apart.
I think the 'ole sodium chloride gods already did that for you... that's road salt to you southern members!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 03-09-2009 at 10:03 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Haha, no kidding Mike. It sure did a number on this ol' gal. Everytime I slam the door or bang a panel, more rust comes off.

Kind of disheartening..but just think about how light it is!

It's just metal....I gotta keep telling myself that...

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
Jvsapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
I think the 'ole sodium chloride gods already did that for you... that's road salt to you southern members!
Road salt? never heard of it. we have ocean salt, and salt spray here. it's a constant battle. you could just finish grinding a piece of metal. take a lunch break and it starts surface rusting already out here.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
Cyclone44
Step Brother

I love the 67's...I had a 64 hardtop.....Can't wait to see you get it back together.....
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #16
fast75
Go Hard or Go Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvsapp View Post
Road salt? never heard of it. we have ocean salt, and salt spray here. it's a constant battle. you could just finish grinding a piece of metal. take a lunch break and it starts surface rusting already out here.
been there before. i used to live on South Padre Island Texas. got tired of replacing the chrome on my '76 shovelhead, so i went to billet. then i spent all of my time polishing, LOL. from one extreme to the other.........

2008 Dodge crew cab. YEAH, it's got a hemi, your ass is going to jail quick.

Some day's, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints................................
fast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,salt (or sodium chloride) in the air is hard to hide from.But,I always dug the faded beach bum vehicle look.Talk about oxidization.It sucks for shiney,though.

I really like your lil`hundred.That`s cool you`re running a 250 in it.Dual pipes hum a sweet tune.
A friend in Florida has a mint green one with a 426 stroker small block.It`s a street sleeper with rallyes/caps and no rings.He showed me a video they shot on the street(a launch coming at the camera for a block).Those cars are cool!They are Baby Biscaynes.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Thanks for the comments all.

Special K - Baby Biscayne is the perfect way to describe it. Poverty with a purpose, haha. 426 incher? Cripes, that baby must scoot!

Just an update, since I've been slacking as of late. Warm weather is here, and so is progress.

First, some pics of the lift frame I threw together.

It's just 2 inch well pipe for uprights, with 1 1/4" across the top. Plates welded to the 2 inch for mounts to 2x4's, and braces where the cross bar meets the uprights. It sure isn't pretty, but it got the rear up, and let me work on it some more.

A come-along, as well as a chain and chain tightener provided plenty of lift.

And got the rear end out, after fighting with the bolts and bushings. Sadly, the springs are totally shot, with chunks missing on the eyes for mounting. Par for the course, I s'pose.

And the rust in the trunk. Yeah, not looking too good, is it? Haha.

I figure then worst that can happen is that I fail miserably, spend countless hours and dollars on this rust bucket, only to be disappointed. So, on the bright side, it's only metal, and it can be fixed.

Anyone remember my truck when I first brought it home? Lol, yeah. She was in rough shape too. And, all thigns considered, she turned out pretty alright. So, I'm not too worried.

...and just because I love that rear fender curve.

And time for suggestions. Any body have ideas for paint color? White is really growing on me. Originality means little to me, so, take that into consideration, lol.

And a new future plan has popped up, which could possibly happen - I'll run the built 250 for a few years, until the engine in my truck pukes. When that happens, the 250 will go into the truck, and the 307 will be turned into a Mad Mouse - getting bored and stroked, etc. Just an idea that ran through my head, haha. Using what I got...and all that nonsense.

That's where she stands for the night though, so, let's hear it.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

How about that steering wheel?It`s just like a`67 truck.Is it a smaller diameter?One of those would be cool in a truck.I`m sure the horn button is interchangable,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I'll measure the diameter, along with the one in my '69 - assuming that '69 and '67 truck wheels are the same.

It's the same 3 spoke design, I know. And I considered putting the '67 chrome cap on the horn button to be different, and spice it up a bit.

I'll be back with the measurements asap.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #21
Jvsapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post

...and just because I love that rear fender curve.

And time for suggestions. Any body have ideas for paint color? White is really growing on me. Originality means little to me, so, take that into consideration, lol.

And a new future plan has popped up, which could possibly happen - I'll run the built 250 for a few years, until the engine in my truck pukes. When that happens, the 250 will go into the truck, and the 307 will be turned into a Mad Mouse - getting bored and stroked, etc. Just an idea that ran through my head, haha. Using what I got...and all that nonsense.

That's where she stands for the night though, so, let's hear it.

-Sam.
WOW original Spiral shocks. those bring good money if they were new . the sides look pretty straight. maybe some lower quarter patch panels. how's the rust at the bottom of the windshield and rear window? notorious places to rust for those. i bought a parts car from the junkyard and it was pretty rotted on the a pillars and above the trunk lid. your car looks like it's mainly floors and bottom sheetmetal. i don't like how they painted the drip rails though...

also nothing wrong with white...

and a inline 6...

these are my car.

Last edited by Jvsapp; 03-19-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok, I checked the diameter of the stock Chevy II wheel. It's right at about 16". So, compared to the 17" of a stock truck wheel..it's not much, but enough if someone is looking for smaller wheel and the original look.

Jvsapp - GORGEOUS CAR! Wow. My dad had a '63 or '64 4-door when he was younger. Said he couldn't kill the little 153 it had, haha.

And as far as I can tell, the rust is just along the floor and quarters. I pulled the headliner, and it all seems really solid, around the windsheild and rear window. I know on the outside, on the back of the C-pillar between the side glass and rear window I have some rust soming through the paint. But it looks like deep pitting at most, or atleast I'm hoping. It'll be addressed, though.

I'm getting pretty excited, because it might look like it's long gone, but it's just metal, as Frizzle Fry states.

The floor pans were spot welded on vertical lips, so that makes it easy. The rockers are still mostly there. And the rear quarters look pretty simple to fabricate, should I feel daring. Otherwise, it seems like mostly flat and straight forward sheetmetal patches.

Yesterday I got the radiator support off the front clip, after fighting with the rivets of the subframe. That'll need some patching, but nothing I'm not used to. Hopefully this weekend I can get the inner fender structres off, along with the coils and struts.

I'll keep you all posted, because pretty soon we're gonna start whacking and welding.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
Cyclone44
Step Brother

That little car is screaming "327" chevy II motor.....
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #24
Jvsapp

i got a nice 283 i'm prepping to slap into mine.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #25
samwise68
FarmBoy.

If I had a spare smallblock laying around, you bet she'd get a high winding mouse.

But. I don't. I have a bunch of 6's. So, after doing some math, despite what everyone says, it'll be cheaper for me to build a little 250 for now.

After a few years of that, well, chances are I'll find a smallblock, and build that baby up. Actually, that's what I plan on doing, haha. Maybe not the stroker 307, but definitely somewhere's around 300-350 hp. I dunno, something tells me it'll have more than enough to throw me in the backseat.

But, for now, a 220 hp 250 should have enough snort. I hope. haha.

-Sam.

Quote: