The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
ol84

Thoughts on Wheel Setup

Im purchasing a complete rolling 70 SWB frame that is bagged on 4 corners with c notch, McGauphys 2" drop spindles, 5 lug disc front converted and 5 lug drum rear for a great deal. I am swapping my 67LWB to it. US Wheels has a blowout special on 20x9 with 4.75" backspacing. I want to run these on all 4 corners if possible. I have searched a lot of threads and see the small diameter steelies work with similar backspacing. Will these work as is or can I make them work with spacers or is it just a no go all together? Ive spent the better part of 6hrs trying to find a answer and the backspacings are all over the place. Any help might be appreciated. This was supposed the be a cheap project and I want to stay away from custom made wheels. Looking to stay with a smoothie/steelie style wheel.
Hope to be on the road by Summer 2018

1967 C10 CST LWB
327/PG Original
Running Driving Future Project
ol84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Thoughts on Wheel Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol84 View Post
Im purchasing a complete rolling 70 SWB frame that is bagged on 4 corners with c notch, McGauphys 2" drop spindles, 5 lug disc front converted and 5 lug drum rear for a great deal. I am swapping my 67LWB to it. US Wheels has a blowout special on 20x9 with 4.75" backspacing. I want to run these on all 4 corners if possible. I have searched a lot of threads and see the small diameter steelies work with similar backspacing. Will these work as is or can I make them work with spacers or is it just a no go all together? Ive spent the better part of 6hrs trying to find a answer and the backspacings are all over the place. Any help might be appreciated. This was supposed the be a cheap project and I want to stay away from custom made wheels. Looking to stay with a smoothie/steelie style wheel.
For your listed chassis set-up, I would say no on the front & possibly yes on the rear. But, it depends on how much drop. Less drop might get away w/it; more aggressive & I'll bet there will be issues.

On the front of slammed 67-72's, those I know (& myself) have used 8" wheels w/5-5.5" BS so the tires don't buzz the fender lips. A 9" wheel w/less BS is going to have some interference depending on how low you go.

On the Red 68 below, I recall it used 5.25"BS. It was bags, spindles, & factory x-member.

The Lt.Green 68 had @ least 5.25"BS & possibly even more (might of been 5.75"). I recall it was also using narrowed a-arms & had a PB Dropmember which narrows track width vs. a stock x-member. It could get/drive lower than one w/o an aftermarket x-member but the wheel spacing is still an issue (aftermarket x-member or not).
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
ol84

Re: Thoughts on Wheel Setup

Thank you. Nice trucks. I believe I am going to get everything together and measure. No sense in rushing it while I still need to swap everything.
Hope to be on the road by Summer 2018

1967 C10 CST LWB
327/PG Original
Running Driving Future Project
ol84 is offline   Reply With Quote