The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
AustinBelair

Help needed with steering column crunching noise

Help needed! My 66 has a grinding crunching noise in the column somewhere. My parents were driving the other day and went to make a turn and it started grinding and making a bad noise.

I recently installed a new Delco column wiring harness/turn signal assembly. I removed all of that and thought maybe it was the little bearing in the turn signal cam assembly but nope. If I pop the hood, and have someone turn the wheel inside the cab, I can hear a grinding noise at the base of the column where there is a spring. you can also hear it behind the horn button area.

Could the steering shaft inside the column be bad? Is there another bearing at the base of the column that would make that crunching noise? Its the stock manual trans column.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Richard2112

Re: Help needed with steering column crunching noise

I had exactly the same thing going on with my steering on my 70 C30. I pulled my column apart and found some brittle plastic component inside the housing down near the bearing. Cleaned it up, greased the parts and re-assembled it. hasn't made that sound since. Never did identify the debris but all the parts that were supposed to be there, were, so I didn't worry about it.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
vince1

My guess is the lower bearing is disintegrating. If that is the case then best to get at it sooner than later before too much damage is done to the shaft. There is a bushing available to replace the bearing. I think I got mine at Classic Industries a few years ago. In any case I think a complete disassembly of the column is in order.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
My guess is the lower bearing is disintegrating. If that is the case then best to get at it sooner than later before too much damage is done to the shaft. There is a bushing available to replace the bearing. I think I got mine at Classic Industries a few years ago. In any case I think a complete disassembly of the column is in order.
That was my first thoughts also when it happened to me. i didn't want to drive anywhere until I fixed it. Turned out the bearing was fine but the sound transfer though the column and tube made it sound much worse. Just some debris in the column. But I'd certainly check. Could be the bearing.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote