The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Do you really need to move the gas tank for safety?

I only want to relocate my fuel tank so that I can carry more junk behind the seat (carry anything at all back there). Is the gas tank inside the cab really a safety issue as some have claimed it to be?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Do you really need to move the gas tank for safety?

It is not. The only "safety" thing I could think of is fumes. And that is only after making a right hand turn with a full tank.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
leftybass209

In the extremely rare and highly unlikely instance that the fuel tank would explode, the blast radius of a tank of gas makes it lethal within a few dozen feet, and shrapnel even further. I always reference IED's and Humvees in this instance. That's a buried explosive under an armored Humvee and can still prove to be highly lethal. Case in point, combustible fluids are dangerous regardless of location on the vehicle.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
FirstOwner69

I agree. Not a major safety concern. As I recall there was a big safety concern (recall?) with the 73-87 trucks due to the tanks being mounted outside the frame rails and subject to fire in side impact collisions. Tanks mounted behind the axle are also at risk when rear ended. Nothing's perfect.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
RManson

It's an interesting argument to say the least. I always figured that if I was in an accident that was destructive enough to puncture the gas tank in the cab, I'd probably already be dead. But, I do like the idea of separating myself from said tank.

On the other hand, I used a '69 Camaro tank and mounted it behind the rear bumper with the license plate fill and there's nothing really protecting it from a rearend collision other than the flimsy bumper. That worries me a bit more than when the tank was in the cab, but again, I take a little comfort knowing I'm not in the content's direct path, so to speak.

That said, when's the last time you saw a new car with a gas tank in the passenger compartment? There's probably a good reason why you haven't...
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
leddzepp

No.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #7
Bob B.

Only a problem if you roll over on the left side and knock the cap off.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
Spartan

It's pretty hard to make a gas tank explode...as you mention.
Myth busters did a show on it.
For the rear tank scenario the ford pinto come to mind.
I shot a propane tank with my 308 and it just vented. Turns out a 900 degree spark is needed...so...some tannerite and tracer rounds did the job.
still, some extra space would be nice too

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

It all boils down to where YOU feel safer where the tank is located .The purist all have their opinion (and their entitled to it) yet they will improve every other system in the truck, brakes /driveline /suspension /ride height and leave the 1960's fuel storage/delivery technology in place ?

pros and cons of tank relocation

Pros
1) weight distribution
2) safety (my opinion)
3) extra room in the cab
4) no fumes
5) room for speakers/audio
6) cleaner body lines

Cons
1) not original look with missing filler neck hanging off the side of the truck
2) cost to relocate
3) ??
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
cdowns

monkey see monkey do describes the gas tank non issue
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
jjzepplin

I did mine for the felling it gave me. I kinda had the creeps with fuel sitting right behind me. I also wanted to get rid of the fumes that I had no Idea where they were coming from. I also like to run with a full tank and wanted no overfill situations like spill over. That old rubber gasket doesn't keep much out of the cab except bugs. Just stole everything from my wrecked Blazer. Bed is going to be used as a truck so drilled out the side and looks just like the fill on a Blazer.
Replaced everything for the Blazer on this site for under a hundred bucks. Now No stinky.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #12
sboris

I dont even think about it..
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
burnin oil

The only issue I had with a tank behind the seat was my own fault. I pulled the sending unit out and messed up on the reinstall. Went to town and refilled the tank. All was good until I smelled gas and looked down and saw it running down the floor. Not good when you have a cigarette in your hand. Anyways I reinstalled the unit and all was fine until I sold the truck. My current 72 has a blazer tank but only because I needed the extra fuel capacity. My milage sucks and I was refilling the tank every 2 days at my old job. I drove the truck for over a year with the original tank and it didnt bother me in the least.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Been driving these trucks since '73. Been talking to others about these trucks since '73. Never heard of a single incident where the tank being in the cab caused anyone injury since '73. I have never smelled gas in any of the trucks I've owned. The very first '72 I bought in '73 met it's end in the wee hours of the night driving home from my girlfriend's house. Driving down a divided hiway a car ran a red light and t-boned the right side right square in the side of the cab/front of bed. The truck got knocked hard and was pushed sideways, ending up in the median down the road. The cab was all caved-in and the frame was bowed. I guess that's the accident some worry about. Sure, there's no guarantee the results would always be the same, but I feel it shows how good the odds are in favor of the location being safe as any. I never heard the tank location being questioned until recent years when people locate the tank for other reasons. If you move your tank based on safety concerns you are wasting your time and money while creating a new issue... where to put the spare. Make sure it's bolted down in the bed because I have heard of objects laying in the bed flying through the back window causing serious injury in front end collisions (most common accident).

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
hamjet

Think of all the trucks sold in this country since the tanks were behind you and all the people who smoked driving the trucks, personally myself included. I've never heard of one catching on fire or exploding, I haven't googled it and I'm sure there will be a case or two, but thats over alot of years. As long as its a good solid tank with good lines and cap I don't feel unsafe... PS; if I were to move it , it would be for tool storage or the likes.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
IHeartGroceries

The single thing one might consider is their personal health, possibly breathing any escaped or leaking vapors. It'd otherwise take a very heavy dose to ignite, and you'd long be pulled over to the side of the road, overcome with vapor inhalation before you ignited the vapors/source. As long as everything is sealed up and good to go, I don't see any inherent dangers beyond any other vehicle.
IHeartGroceries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #17
Grumpy old man

Let me set something straight , I've owned and still own dozens of these trucks in parts and pieces and have driven tens of thousands of miles with a stock placed tank and never had an issue other than fumes and there was nothing dangerous about them I used to smoke too , That being said I'm more interested in the space and weight distribution than worrying about becoming a fireball in a collision are you going to die from leaving a serviceable tank in place ? NO definitely not ! Can you gain some extra room and better weight distribution Yes you can . it's just each owners own preference nothing more !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #18
jeffahart

For safety it comes down to record and testing. The behind the seat tank has a track record. Where you exactly locate an under the bed tank could be debatable. The old Ford Pintos has a problem with a bumper bolt puncturing the tanks in some rear end wrecks. Remove bolt and problem solved. So who knows what could bump and puncture a tank in a custom location. You can only really assume safety based on the configuration of similar vehicles with under bed installations. But you never really know. Just a little more to the left or a little more to rear... and it might not have gotten punctured.... in a rear end or side impact, or whatever type of wreck. 1" either way could make a difference.

That said, I plan to get an under bed tank. And my big safety concern is going to be where to put the fill neck... not in the bed!
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
For safety it comes down to record and testing. The behind the seat tank has a track record. Where you exactly locate an under the bed tank could be debatable. The old Ford Pintos has a problem with a bumper bolt puncturing the tanks in some rear end wrecks. Remove bolt and problem solved. So who knows what could bump and puncture a tank in a custom location. You can only really assume safety based on the configuration of similar vehicles with under bed installations. But you never really know. Just a little more to the left or a little more to rear... and it might not have gotten punctured.... in a rear end or side impact, or whatever type of wreck. 1" either way could make a difference.

That said, I plan to get an under bed tank. And my big safety concern is going to be where to put the fill neck... not in the bed!
"The behind the seat tank has a track record."... Does it though? I think that many are saying that it doesn't. Just wondering if there are any FACTS.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
Tinkermc

I believe putting it in the rear of the truck is like the Pinto of yesteryear, closer to the wreck with less protection. On the other hand do I want that gas all over me if I roll my truck? Neither one sounds like the correct answer. I guess it is personal preference.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #21
turp mcspray

It's probably best, to just not drive one of these trucks! LOL!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
"The behind the seat tank has a track record."... Does it though? I think that many are saying that it doesn't. Just wondering if there are any FACTS.
Absolutely has a track record. Are they known for having tanks puncture and catch fire. And when we speak of the Ford Pinto, what's it's track record that comes mind.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #23
Lees68GMC

None of the people burned to death in crashes in these trucks has ever voiced a complaint. Just like all those Liability Waivers we ALL sign at the Race Track and just about everywhere we go. They essentially say: "If you're killed at Our Facility, or in Our Vehicle or while using Our Products, We'll never speak to you again" Really kinda like being Struck by Lightning or having a Meteor hit your house, might not happen frequently but it would be good to avoid the event.

Woody Allen used to say; "I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens".

FYI Drove my 67 GMC for many years with the Tank in the Cab, Today my current 68 GMC has the Tank relocated out back. What-ever this; it hasn't happened to me yet, info really means.
"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"

Last edited by Lees68GMC; 10-22-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #24
leftybass209

Quote:
Absolutely has a track record. Are they known for having tanks puncture and catch fire. And when we speak of the Ford Pinto, what's it's track record that comes mind.
Do you have any information from a credible, impartial party concerning the dangers of an in - cab tank specific to 67-72 Chevrolet trucks, and do you have enough information to show a repeatable pattern to lend creed to the phrase "track record"? I ask because I've searched myself and only come up with 3rd party Google stories with little to no verifiable evidence.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #25
BrianG

Quote:
Original Poster was asking if there really is a concern to have the tank behind the seat. I'm not sure that anyone has any concrete evidence that it is a safety issue... or at least any safer to have the tank located anywhere else on the vehicle. Mostly just speculation and personal preference. I'm just trying to be neutral and looking to answer the question at hand.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote