The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Steel_valley

Wiring schematic for key switch

When we got the truck, the previous owner was midstream installing a push button starter, at least I think. I'm not sure if it should be a push button or not, anyways the key switch was hanging and disconnected all but 1 wire. The key switch is at the locksmith getting a key made, then I'll want to reinstall with all the proper wiring connected. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the key switch? I see most of the wires are colored, so assistance from my wife and we can figure the colors out.
Steel_valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
mikebte

Re: Wiring schematic for key switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_valley View Post
When we got the truck, the previous owner was midstream installing a push button starter, at least I think. I'm not sure if it should be a push button or not, anyways the key switch was hanging and disconnected all but 1 wire. The key switch is at the locksmith getting a key made, then I'll want to reinstall with all the proper wiring connected. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the key switch? I see most of the wires are colored, so assistance from my wife and we can figure the colors out.
Do you have the 6 Cyl or 8 Cyl. Is it a key of foot start? I assume key start.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
Steel_valley

Sorry, it is an 8 cylinder SBC, and yes a key start. Thanks for the diagram
Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Steel_valley

Ok, and also, why can't I locate a fuse panel anywhere? I've been all over the inside of this dash from underneath. Is it hidden ?
Old 03-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
mr48chev

Was the truck originally a V8 truck? Factory V8 trucks had key start while factory six cylinder trucks had foot start.

On the fuse block I can't remember where it was on my 57 Panel as that was way too long ago but following behind someone else or several someone elses over the years might mean that someone modified the wiring after burning up some wires at one time or another or for what ever other reason you can think of.

Maybe we can WAKE UP some of the knowlegeable tF guys and get a good answer. Some of them are "real old" and have to have their afternoon naps.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Ok, and also, why can't I locate a fuse panel anywhere? I've been all over the inside of this dash from underneath. Is it hidden ?
You probably wont find a Fuse panel or Block as (MOST) I say "most"did not have a Fuse block, BUT, They are out there, and you would find it under the dash on driver side if it was equipt ??

Good Luck with your Truck!
Allen

PS I need a Nap Now!
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Steel_valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Was the truck originally a V8 truck? Factory V8 trucks had key start while factory six cylinder trucks had foot start.

On the fuse block I can't remember where it was on my 57 Panel as that was way too long ago but following behind someone else or several someone elses over the years might mean that someone modified the wiring after burning up some wires at one time or another or for what ever other reason you can think of.

Maybe we can WAKE UP some of the knowlegeable tF guys and get a good answer. Some of them are "real old" and have to have their afternoon naps.
I'm not sure. I bought the truck with a SBC in it. It's got some weird front engine mount kind of a U shape. The transmission and clutch is factory. It was not an automatic. I know these trucks had Pontiac engines back then, perhaps that's what was in it??

As for wiring burning up, the wiring is beautiful, I've found nothing burnt or melted yet, the reason I ask, is the purple wire in my 3 wire key switch plug had juice yesterday and now it's dead and I don't know why. I think the previous owner was installing the push button cause they didn't have a key for it. I'll attach some pictures of the engine mount and wiring plug.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
Steel_valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
You probably wont find a Fuse panel or Block as (MOST) I say "most"did not have a Fuse block, BUT, They are out there, and you would find it under the dash on driver side if it was equipt ??

Good Luck with your Truck!
Allen

PS I need a Nap Now!
Wore ya out in one post!! Winning!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
57tailgater

I'll agree the V8's had the key switched starter and the 6's had a foot pedal starter floor button you pushed that had a mechanism to push a button right on the end of the starter solenoid. Your "U" mount looks to be for the V8 GMC w/a Pontiac engine that someone redrilled for the SBC. Original fuse panel in my '57 Chevy was above the driver's side kick panel and vent.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
Steel_valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
I'll agree the V8's had the key switched starter and the 6's had a foot pedal starter floor button you pushed that had a mechanism to push a button right on the end of the starter solenoid. Your "U" mount looks to be for the V8 GMC w/a Pontiac engine that someone redrilled for the SBC. Original fuse panel in my '57 Chevy was above the driver's side kick panel and vent.
There is no hole in the floor for a push button, there is one for a throttle rod, but an aftermarket pedal was installed that I'm taking out since it don't work right. Or was the push button mounted in this big oval hole? You can see the hole behind the throttle pedal for the linkage. I'm likely going to replace the linkage with a stock reproduction.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Wore ya out in one post!! Winning!!!
Not wore out, maybe to much Teflon on the brain as sometimes it just won't stick to my brain,Lol....

They say Old is not a disease, but sometimes it sure feels like it!

Last edited by 58CameoAZ; 03-22-2019 at 03:56 PM.
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
57tailgater

Quote:
There is no hole in the floor for a push button, there is one for a throttle rod, but an aftermarket pedal was installed that I'm taking out since it don't work right. Or was the push button mounted in this big oval hole? You can see the hole behind the throttle pedal for the linkage. I'm likely going to replace the linkage with a stock reproduction.
If I am looking at that picture right, it's turned 90 degrees and the floor is to the right, right? If so, yes the "big" hole you see is for the starter button. Now mind you, the button it not like a push switch button. It is a whole mechanism attached the flywheel housing. See pictures. The button actually rotates when actuated (which requires the need for the larger hole) and then activates the solenoid on the starter by a lever.
Attached Images

Last edited by 57tailgater; 03-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #13
Divine 59

Most 55.2-59 trucks I have seen simply did not have a fuse block. All electrical current was routed through the light switch with that little fuse in the switch. I will confess that almost all trucks I have seen were born at the factory with a 6 cylinder. The larger trucks most likely would have a fuse block due to the additional electrical demand.
Trucks with a 6 cylinder use a key to switch as shown in the diagram to activate power to the coil, and the foot activated starter as shown in the photo instead of bendix type electrical switch to engage the flywheel. 57Tailgater correctly shows the 6 cylinder starter mechanism. V8 engines used a starter that automatically engages into the flywheel.
I think that three prong plug will only fit into the key switch one way if I recall my memory accurately.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
mikebte

My 59 had a fuse block under the drivers side. If had 3 or 4 old tube style fuses in it with some other slots. I'll take a photo tonight. I have the wiring harness in a box.
My Junction block was identical to the one in the photo.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #15
mikebte

I present to you the fuse panel off my 59 chevy. Enjoy it in all its glory.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
57tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
I present to you the fuse panel off my 59 chevy. Enjoy it in all its glory.
My '57 had a 6 cylinder in it and had a fuse panel similar to this one as well. Minimalistic at best.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #17
Steel_valley

I confirmed with the VIN and of course feedback from here, this was originally a 6 cylinder truck. I'm hoping I can use the key switch for an on/off and add a starter button next to it. My tumbler is still at the locksmith, he's retired....so he don't get in a hurry lol. Once I get it back I'll wire it per all the information here and see what we get. I did also look, I have one fuse on the headlight switch as noted. Very simple truck and I'm loving the fact that things are just coming apart. Very little rust!!
Old 04-02-2019, 04:11 AM   #18
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
the purple wire in my 3 wire key switch plug had juice yesterday and now it's dead and I don't know why.
Neutral safety switches typically use a purple wire. Is it possible that the wire is dead because the truck has a NSS and is now in gear?
Old 04-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #19
1project2many

Quote:
You know, the kids at the register break out a calculator when they check to see if I'm old enough to buy beer. I keep telling myself it's because they suck at math. It has nothing to do with how far apart the years are.

Fuse panels were optional on TF trucks. My understanding is they were also installed if electric wipers were installed at the factory. If a TF truck does not have a factory fuse panel there was no circuit protection for any electrical circuits except the lights. The fuse on the light switch protected the tail and park lamps. The headlights were protected by a circuit breaker built into the headlamp switch. GM believed it was safer to let the lights blink during a short rather than go out completely.

In a truck with a factory key start the purple wire connects between the key and the starter solenoid. It would be powered in "Crank" position. In a vehicle with a starter linkage on the floor there is no purple wire. If your truck has a purple wire then it was added.

Quote:
Neutral safety switches typically use a purple wire. Is it possible that the wire is dead because the truck has a NSS and is now in gear?
This is a great question. Be sure to check for additional switches in the circuit.

I would recommend using a key start style switch with the tumbler and key from the lock switch to make wiring and operation simpler. If you are connecting a starter button make sure it can handle high current and that you power it from a good power source, preferably the battery, using a wire of sufficient gauge. The original wiring was only 20 ga. Having spent years working on GM vehicles and understanding the problems engaging a hot starter, I would probably opt for 12ga.

BTW, a copy of the 1955 TF shop manual is here:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...55ctsm1201.htm

The 1957 accessory installation manual (covers the fuse box, wiper, heaters, etc)is here:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...tai/index.html

Last edited by 1project2many; 04-03-2019 at 08:10 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote