The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Today's IFS progress

Things went great today! Went and bought some 6013 rods and the welder worked like a champ. Being that it’s a lower end unit, I did have to stop a few times to let it cool off. My penetration was good but, not all of my welds were so clean. That’s OK. I’ll go back over a few of them tomorrow and grind out some of the gnarly ones. I’ve still got a couple of beads to lay on the cross member and then…it’s on to assembly.

I didn’t even jack with the stuck lug nut situation (for those of you who have been following that). I wanted to focus on getting the front end done. It’ll all have to be done by Sunday and the garage put back in order. As long as the weather holds up it shouldn’t be a problem. It was upper 70’s today but, windy.

Ordered my paint today. Some of you may groan at my choice of manufacturer but, I’ve got a fixed amount of money to get everything done. If figure if I lay it down right and take care of it, I should get a few years of a nice paint job. That’ll get me past the cost of the build and I can go with a higher quality later.
And the choice was…..Omaha Orange from Hawthorne Rayflex.
http://www.paintforcars.com/aep_omahaorange.html
If it holds up, I’ll make out like a bandit. All the primer, reducers, hardeners, paint and clear coat, including shipping…189.00
Attached Images

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
pugs

Re: Today's IFS progress

just courious did ya check the frame that it was truely level, front & back verticle height. we had installed a M2 setup in my brothers 55 f#*d years ago and the one side was way off and it was a pain to have it aligned
Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Man, I hope I did! I had every level I own out today, checking and rechecking. If there's a chance of screwing it up though...I did it.
We'll find out
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
pugs

well at the rate your going you will know soon enough. Im in the same boat as you are i only have a small garage to work out of and it seems you always have to do big and important jobs outside, but atleast you have concrete to work off of