The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
BigRed

Squeaky rear window

Anybody know if there's anything that can be done to lubricate the rear sliding window? When mine comes down, it sqeaks pretty bad.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i believe i read someone put some kind of lube in the tracks but it was a water based lube and i think it was something real silly like KY Jelly.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

you would probably want to use something like Sil-glide or another white lithium type grease for the regulator sliding track, but WD-40 works pretty well in the window felt tracks. You will need to pull the trim panel and cover to get to the regulator to grease the tracks there.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonboy
you would probably want to use something like Sil-glide or another white lithium type grease for the regulator sliding track, but WD-40 works pretty well in the window felt tracks. You will need to pull the trim panel and cover to get to the regulator to grease the tracks there.
Thanks, I appreciate the help! I've never pulled of the trim part but I'll try that and see how it goes.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:55 PM   #5
Grim Reaper

Might not have any felts left in the track. My 79 was just dust and rust. Dealer can still get the tracks with the felts (the way it's sold). This may also bee a issue with worn latches and not really the widow squeeking but the windows tension preventing something else from squeeking when it's up.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:30 AM   #6
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper
Might not have any felts left in the track. My 79 was just dust and rust. Dealer can still get the tracks with the felts (the way it's sold). This may also bee a issue with worn latches and not really the widow squeeking but the windows tension preventing something else from squeeking when it's up.
Thanks for the info about the tracks and felt! My problem is when the window is actually going down. That's when it squeaks.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Grim Reaper

As it's traveling? is this while the fehciel is moving or it do it as it sits still?

If it's doing it while it sits still time to Grease that pig.

Pull the carpet pannel. Under it is a access pannel to the guts of the gate. Pull it off to get access to the regulator.

The whole deal runs off a worm drive. Grease the snot out over everything. Use a grease that will stick in the heat but not super thick. If it's too think it will bog it down in the cold. I use a Synthetic Grease for wheel bearings you can pick up at Auto Zone.

If you take a rod or dowel in the passengerside latch and latch it you can operate the window to get better access.

I CANNOT MAKE IT CLEAR ENOUGH OF HOW CAREFULL YOU NEED TO BE IF YOU EXTEND THAT GLASS WITH THE GATE OPEN. Have a saw horse or something ready to suport the glass when you extend it and you have to suport it as it extends. It was not desgned to operate while being horizontal.

Watch your flangies around that regulator when it's running or even not. Big heavy spring and if something lets go your going to loose a couple digits.

Check the tracks and felts. You might find the bottoms of the tracks rusted clean off.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:37 AM   #8
BigRed

Quote:
Pull the carpet pannel. Under it is a access pannel to the guts of the gate. Pull it off to get access to the regulator.
Thanks for the great response! How does the carpet panel come off? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but if I remember correctly, there aren't any screws. Is it attached with just adhesive?

Last edited by BigRed; 01-15-2004 at 02:40 AM.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed

Thanks for the great response! How does the carpet panel come off? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but if I remember correctly, there aren't any screws. Is it attached with just adhesive?

Feel around the edge of the Carpet. The screws are hidden in wells around the edge and you can't see it for the carpet.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
BigRed

Quote:

Feel around the edge of the Carpet. The screws are hidden in wells around the edge and you can't see it for the carpet.
Great, thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #11
KShortell

Scott-

The plastic and carpet panel is all one piece. Yes, it is only screwed in and clipped at the top just like the door panels, as was described above. Once that's off, you can remove the screws on the metal access panel to get inside the tailgate.

I've been inside mine a couple of times-- once ten years ago running oil through it to keep out rust (must've worked!) and once to look at the plastic guide wheel that's left a wee bit of a mark on the glass over the years.

It's really not that hard. My back window squeals when going up or down, but it's ALWAYS done that. I guess it's just never bothered me.

Good luck!

Kevin
Old 01-16-2004, 12:42 PM   #12
BigRed

Thanks Kevin. I've lived with the squeak for awhile, it's just those little things that bother me.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:52 PM   #13
72MARIO

Mine Squeeks most of the time too. Bugs the Heck out of me.

But I live with it.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote