The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
allen57

subframing a 57 truck

i was thinking of subframing my 57. what subframes would work, yrs and models.
allen57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
allen57

Re: subframing a 57 truck

i found a 78 firebird clip for sell, would that work?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Another cheaper alternative is 70-77 Impala/Caprice suspension. The frame is the same width as the 55-59 rails.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
56chevy1300

Here's a link...go to the bottom of the page.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/ifs&rearend.htm

I installed a 73 Trans Am subframe, basically the same as the 78:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=220256
56chevy1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
OrrieG

I'm going a totaly different approach (4wd) but from what I have seen of the different build threads here you can get them just as low using "FatMan" or other front end conversions that do not require cutting off the original rails. If I was looking to upgrade a 2wd that is the way I would go. Go through the thread and get a feel for what it takes to do a clip, lots of work to keep thing square and lined up. And you don't have to mess with grafting on bumper and radiator mounts. Just my 2 cents worth....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
allen57

how much does this drop my truck, if i leave everthing stock. how high does it sit off the ground?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
56chevy1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen57 View Post
how much does this drop my truck, if i leave everthing stock. how high does it sit off the ground?
Depending on how you install it, I think around 4-6 inches.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
allen57

ok well i bought the subframe. if anyone has pics and instructions please send them to me. i'de really appriate it. i like the thread earlier, but more would be better, i want to make sure i do it right
Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
RabidScott

Funny that this thread was near the top, I just dropped in to see what options were available for these year trucks.

I see lots of '73-'87 Chevy trucks, and was wondering if it had been done before, or if the frames are too different to use that era suspension on the Taskforce trucks.
RabidScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
56chevy1300

I know a guy who swears by the 73-87 subframes because they are quite strong and the frame width matches the 55-59 exactly at 34". However, I think the track width is a little too wide though.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

it is about an inch on each side to wide. I have one and it just fits with off set wheels. I didn't use the clip I tapered narrowed my stock 58 frame to accept the crossmember.

the wheels will stick out on an AD
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
tiggerstoy
tiggerstoy

i used a 76 nova, c-notched the rear frame, and lost all but 2 of the origanal leafs, but added an overloader, it sit's nice and low, and handels a load.
tiggerstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
hotrodsbyray

go to jalopyjournal.com. click on the HAMB link at the top. do a search for camaro subframe. there is a thread there on subframe in a 58 truck. quick, clean and easy - supposedly. i just did an 81 trans am subframe in my 57 short stepside and the frame swap went great. i extended the wheel base about 1 and 1/2 inches. BUT - getting the radiator mount and front sheet metal to fit was NOT smooth and easy like his thread [he lengthened it 2 inches] and some of the other threads i have seen. it has been a fabrication heavy night mare. i guess that is hot rodding though! i am gonna try to get some photos to the cure i had to come up with to make it fit. i dont know if my truck was different or what
oh, well - buyer, that is - builder beware.
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
allen57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsbyray View Post
go to jalopyjournal.com. click on the HAMB link at the top. do a search for camaro subframe. there is a thread there on subframe in a 58 truck. quick, clean and easy - supposedly. i just did an 81 trans am subframe in my 57 short stepside and the frame swap went great. i extended the wheel base about 1 and 1/2 inches. BUT - getting the radiator mount and front sheet metal to fit was NOT smooth and easy like his thread [he lengthened it 2 inches] and some of the other threads i have seen. it has been a fabrication heavy night mare. i guess that is hot rodding though! i am gonna try to get some photos to the cure i had to come up with to make it fit. i dont know if my truck was different or what
oh, well - buyer, that is - builder beware.
cool, when u get pics please post them i like to see
Old 08-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I'm going a totaly different approach (4wd) but from what I have seen of the different build threads here you can get them just as low using "FatMan" or other front end conversions that do not require cutting off the original rails. If I was looking to upgrade a 2wd that is the way I would go. Go through the thread and get a feel for what it takes to do a clip, lots of work to keep thing square and lined up. And you don't have to mess with grafting on bumper and radiator mounts. Just my 2 cents worth....

X2 .... contact "Gibbons" the fiberglass people who make all the old rod bod's. They supply a crossmember that uses torsion bar suspension. Adjust your height any time you want as well wheels end up centered in the wheel well.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #16
MrSinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post

X2 .... contact "Gibbons" the fiberglass people who make all the old rod bod's. They supply a crossmember that uses torsion bar suspension. Adjust your height any time you want as well wheels end up centered in the wheel well.

esll.
PO installed a Gibbons x member in my 56. It's well made but if I had it to do over I think that I would use something like No Limits or TCIs front end. The problems I have is that the steering box on those mopars are HUGE and make motor mounts a pain. Also hard to get it in the weeds, torsion bars get mushy when unwound, and fatman is the only company that makes a drop spindle. My 2 cents
MrSinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
Coronas56

Just completed mine 3 weeks ago, then took a 2 week vacation.........to the west coast......
Attached Images

Coronas56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #18
55dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
PO installed a Gibbons x member in my 56. It's well made but if I had it to do over I think that I would use something like No Limits or TCIs front end. The problems I have is that the steering box on those mopars are HUGE and make motor mounts a pain. Also hard to get it in the weeds, torsion bars get mushy when unwound, and fatman is the only company that makes a drop spindle. My 2 cents
sure is refreshing to hear a honest opinion from somebody that actually owns the product they are commenting on. i have a extra frame that the po. installed a aspen clip, JUNK! the steering box is the size of mount rainier,the idler arms were garbage when they were new (the mounting is too light causing deflection) and the torsion bar bushings like the bad. i have owned gm clipped trucks and for the amount of work involved in clipping one my 54' is going to stay close to stock with the exception of pdb and ps.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
chevyrestoguy

Julian-
So you got up the nerve and starting cutting! That's the hardest part of the swap, getting up the nerve to hack up a perfectly good stock frame. Looks great, and I hope the pictures I sent helped you in some way. You're on your way now! Keep posting pictures, and I hope you brought a jacket to SF because it has been unseasonably cold up there.
Alex
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Talking Re: subframing a 57 truck

A few pic's of my 50' that has a Gibbons X member. I do not have any problem with it but the again I"m not trying to kid myself that it is air suspension or what ever. It's not a bad system and if the local law gives you problems you can raise it. Try that with a clip.

Down in the weeds .... low enough for what I think looks good on a truck of this vintage but this IMHO. Like anything there are limits to everything and this system is not designed to install and unwind it to the point of being totally impractical. It affords one to have 11' disc brakes which is a good thing as these trucks are heavy, wheels are centered .... I've seen clips where this has not been the case. Each to their own, I've been happy and had allot of thumbs up from people that have seen my truck.

esll.

I'm not trying to defend this system, I'm just making a point that it worked for me with my application and as you can see by the pic's the truck has a nice stance.

Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 AM   #21
mexgrhd68

hit the search button at top of page, search "my pops truck pt 1". That 55 is on a 1965 chevy truck frame.
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 AM   #22
mexgrhd68

He also has a 53 with a 1974 chevy nova clip. I'll be posting pics of that truck pretty soon. It sits pretty nice. He loves to baby these trucks. the 55 is white with a blue pearl and the 53 is white with a red pearl.
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote