The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
72'FleetcydeENVY

choosing which link suspension for my truck??

I have a '72 chevy fleetside long bed c20. Im getn ready to get rid of the leafsprings,and put an air bag air ride suspension in it soon. The problem im having is deciding what kind of link setup im going to put on the truck? I kinda have a small budget. It would be fine to just have the truck go up an down,in front,back,or both at same time? I do want to lay frame(be on the ground) when parked? So id thougt a simple 2 link would be fine,not sure 100%?? I need some advice or ideas if possible?? I am currently leaning a lil more towards a 4 link setup? Im having a hard time finding clear pics,or descriptions?? Can anyone help me figure out what my options are?? And depending on 2 or 4 link,what are some things i can do to prepare my truck,an what measurements do i need to have for the people making my link bars and parts maybe?? Ill be doing alot of reading on this site,so i sure hope to find answers or advice. Thank you.
72'FleetcydeENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: choosing which link suspension for my truck??

How much is your small budget?To lay frame right your looking 6 grand plus to do it right.The front you need a dropmember or raised crossmember to lay frame because the factory crossmember will hit the ground before the frame does.The dropmember fully dressed like 3 grand,Scotts hot rods ifs kit 3700 fully dressed.Then you got the rear kit weld in or bolt on?Rear kit around 2 grand and then you need air management your looking 600 bucks to 2 grand range depending which way you go.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
wraprail

If you can weld you can do it WAY less than the 10 grand andrew is talking. Z the front wont cost you a little steel, welding gas and wire. Couple hundred. On the rear I got a kit off ebay for $300 and welded it in. Of course you got to get bags, valves and all that crap which does add up but less than a grand. Heres what I did on the rear of my 85 c10 and I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
72'FleetcydeENVY

Yeah? I agree with response #2. No disrespect intended in any way,but if ur spending 10 g's to bag ur truck properly,or to "lay frame" right, either ur truck should be able to leap volkswagons in a single bound,or transform from a 72 longbed fleetside into a 50s step side or somethin?? Or ur getn milked at a shop,or maybe dont get ur hands dirty?? Seriously,no offense intended but for 10 grand i could almost cherry my old rust bucket out or bag mine buy two more an bag them too? Thats just an outragous number for a do it yourself suspension?? Im not a tech head so facebutt and chat rooms/ forums are very new to me. However,i come from a long line of knucklebustin do it yourselfers. Ive been peepin out peoples builds an logs an soforth,and im really buildin up alotta respect for the lilguys that are fabricating their own visions an makin due with what they can to make that vision real. Theres alotta doers. I am also noticing a good amount of stuff bein made for the build people are claiming is "their build". Not sayin its a bad thing,but i dont think its respectfull to knock someones dreams down with a rediculous price for something so cheap and simple to do without some crazy contraption premade by a company?? And laying frame right??? No such thing. Pull ur shocks springs and bumpstops,flatten all ur tires and ur layin frame,right. I put a couple questions or sorta described my build an my dilema cuz i saw people in my similar assumed possition,ie budget. Give me 10 grand an ill build ur suspension an find u a whole decent truck to keep "buildin". Some nice setups in this awesome chevy forum. I could look at the pics of all the creativity and great insight from dedicated chevy lovin nuts. Thats a compliment. I had actually decided already to put in a triangulated four link in the rear of my truck. And that crazy thick and strong ass front crossmember is gonna be an awesome langing pad. Im not gonna change that one bit. U dont change perfect. What i am going to do is take all the body,bed,and cab lift parts out,get the body of my truck level and aligned straight which will sorta "lower" my truck,while also kinda raising the crossmember. Picture it as a 2-3 in illusion body drop?? Next im actually weld on another quarter to 3/8 in steel plate onto the crossmember. Now i know ur askin why?? Keep that 1st body drop illusion in ur mind..... so now the body is 3in lower and the crossmembers a1/4 in lower too?? Hmmm.... now im gonna measure from the bottom of the crmember to the ground, then im gonna do the same right where the cab and bed meet on both sides,and im gonna make a steel block for both sides to weld to the frame. The crossmember and those two blocks will be exactly the same distance to the ground. Im callin it the perfect "frame layin" tripod landing gear. Kooky or not? Take ur pic. Benifits.... my truck will appear to be laying on the ground,i wont have to cut off the lil 1 in strip that runs under my cab,and i wont have to reroute my short exhaust or my mufflers. My truck has history. Gramps used to go from paradise ca to sanfrancisco to do construction every day. One of the sites worked on was the golden gate and bay bridge. So others can lay their rides on frame,body,doors,etc. Im not disrespection my gramps truck that way? Kinda like droppin the flag before getn it on the pole. To me. Goin that low is when parked.and if i choose to drag my truck,an noot worry bout hitn my landing gear,throw on a magnesium block an let the sparks fly!! In any case succeed or fail its about not quiting. My opinion matters to me. But it goes both ways. I appreciate the responses whether helpfull or not. The overpriced one tho...for reals bro,10,000?? Wrong answer man. Do it yourself. Great motto in the car clubbin life. Any life really. Hit me up if u need somethin done. Lol. But i spent about $750 for a complete FBSS heavy duty air bag setup,and another $200 for a complete 4 link do it urself brackets and all. All i gotta do is tear down,weld up,hook up,done. Blood sweat and gasolina baby. Its time to get downlow an dirty. Then when im at shows whether its a work in progress orits finished(never finished) if asked i can say,"i did that". Gotta love that feeling. I truelly appreciate all feedback. Getn any feedback shows the true heart of a chevy enthusiast.. i hope i dont offend anyone? Everyone does it their way. This is like the best digtal informative my kinda place. Late. The build begins. Ill take pics an start a build log an all soon. When i figure how to add pics. Gnite
72'FleetcydeENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

WOW! Thats a pretty amazing transformation there 72'FleetcydeENVY. You went from not knowing if you shold run a 2 link or 4 link, to being an expert in building truck suspension and what it costs. There may be more in that novella you wrote, but I got lost in all the meandering.

The bottom line is always the bottom line. Yes, you can build an air suspension on a poor mans budget if you are creative, and possess the tools and/or skills. If not, the end result is quite often a cobbled up pile of parts that are unreliable, unsafe, and typically unattractive.

Most important to any modification, but especially one that involves suspension, function and safety should be a priority. I had a hard time trying to decipher your post, but it sounds to me you have visions of laying frame in a manner that might not be safe if your system fails. If you want to see the end result of that little scenario, theres a great video of a truck dragging then burning to the ground on YouTube you might enjoy.
I wish you well in your build sir. if you need any well thought out advice please ask. Keep in mind you might not like the answer, but we will do our best to offer safe and proven information.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
How much is your small budget?To lay frame right your looking 6 grand plus to do it right.The front you need a dropmember or raised crossmember to lay frame because the factory crossmember will hit the ground before the frame does.The dropmember fully dressed like 3 grand,Scotts hot rods ifs kit 3700 fully dressed.Then you got the rear kit weld in or bolt on?Rear kit around 2 grand and then you need air management your looking 600 bucks to 2 grand range depending which way you go.
You guys don't agree w/this approach yet the alternatives you offer only compare to this suggestion if the builder has the equipment, facility, & skill set.

Dropmembers (the front or rear versions) & other aftermarket crossmembers can be installed w/basic hand tools in a driveway in just a few hours. About the most complex tool it takes to install a Dropmember is an angle grinder w/a cut-off wheel. That's not happening w/a frame Z or a universal 4-bar set-up & getting it RIGHT.

Anything can be done w/experience and/or an educated plan. But, if one is asking basic questions, that usually indicates one of those requirements is missing. In the end, bolting in an engineered aftermarket crossmember kit is done w/quality & safety foremost.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote