The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #101
Slammed '87

Re: Street Rod Sugar Daddy (Dino63's 78 C-10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
i think maybe the shocks are limiting that. or maybe it needs bigger dogbones. i know my friend had to make longer dogbones on another companies 6 link to lay.
Yes i agree. I was looking on th KPC website after i had posted that and i believe they offer different size "dogbones?" for different wheel sizes which makes sense. So for example if i wanted to lay pinch on a 20 i could order the 22 i assume?

I went and looked at my truck after i posted that earlier as well and i have a new concern now lol. From looking at the pictures, if you were laying pinch wouldn't the bottom of the cant. bag support be dragging on the ground, especially if you were up in the front and dumped in the rear? It looks like it would be damn close if it didn't hit. It's so hard doing guess work from other peoples pics! Does anyone have one of these kits that would be able to measure how close to the ground these sit? I assume they don't hang lower than the stock bumpers? And again does anyone know what happens to bumper mounts if you have em? sorry for all the ?'s, i'm gonna be rippin my truck apart again this weekend and i need to know which route to take so i can get things ordered. :-) Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #102
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed '87 View Post
Yes i agree. I was looking on th KPC website after i had posted that and i believe they offer different size "dogbones?" for different wheel sizes which makes sense. So for example if i wanted to lay pinch on a 20 i could order the 22 i assume?

I went and looked at my truck after i posted that earlier as well and i have a new concern now lol. From looking at the pictures, if you were laying pinch wouldn't the bottom of the cant. bag support be dragging on the ground, especially if you were up in the front and dumped in the rear? It looks like it would be damn close if it didn't hit. It's so hard doing guess work from other peoples pics! Does anyone have one of these kits that would be able to measure how close to the ground these sit? I assume they don't hang lower than the stock bumpers? And again does anyone know what happens to bumper mounts if you have em? sorry for all the ?'s, i'm gonna be rippin my truck apart again this weekend and i need to know which route to take so i can get things ordered. :-) Thanks.

The bumper brackets stay put... we didn't have to mod em at all on Dino's truck. As for the canti-lever bracket being too close to the ground... I am pretty sure you're safe on that one. I will air up the front of the truck tomorrow and dump the rear and see where it's at.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #103
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los-lowrider View Post
Porterbuild would you ship to Germany?

I'd ship it to the moon if that's where you wanted it... you pay the freight of course!

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #104
Slammed '87

Hey thanks porterbuilt! I just went and looked at my truck again. You're completely right, i could have sworn the bumper brackets mounted further onto the frame but they don't. My bumper is pushed in about an inch or so more into truck for a cleaner look but i still think it would fit fine, if not nothing a lil grinding wouldn't fix right up. So, sorry for not looking more into it.

I got a rough measurement of the bottom of my frame to the ground while laying pinch and i have approx 3.5" clearance. Do you or anyone know how low these cantalevers hang BELOW the bottom of the frame rails. If its more than 3" than i don't think this will work for me. :-(
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #105
grnddwn
belly dragger

We just finished a frame for a guy with a KP 6 lnk in the back frame was on the ground and there wasn't any clearence problems. the only part you should have to clear would be the end of the bar and the hanger as the rest of the bar goes from there. Unfortunatly the guy already picked up the truck so I have nothing check right now. Of course once he changes his wheels it won't lay but that what he wanted couldn't get him to go for a dropmember ( sorry Nathan) but I've got a guy with a 64 panel thats showing some promise.
Anyway Clint would have a better idea than I would thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited by grnddwn; 09-19-2007 at 10:42 AM.
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #106
Dinos63
chevy only

Thanks clint for the watts link , nice work .Sorry we haven't worked on the truck for a while ,I well be at nates this week to help out a little with some stuff and will get some work on the white truck and get some pics , WE have all the parts, any luck with that c4 stuff?

Last edited by Dinos63; 09-24-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Dinos63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #107
Sweet 85 C10
OG

Heres a question someone can answer, now im going to purchase the 4 link, Cantilever kit for the rear and the front drop member, now heres what im curious can I use the Watts Link in the rear with the 4 link and Canti setup?
Sweet 85 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #108
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet 85 C10 View Post
Heres a question someone can answer, now im going to purchase the 4 link, Cantilever kit for the rear and the front drop member, now heres what im curious can I use the Watts Link in the rear with the 4 link and Canti setup?
Since KP's 4link in this kit is of a "parallel" design and the cantilever is as well you will still need something to restrict side to side axle movement. A pan hard would work but would pull the axle off center as it swung through it's arc as ride height changed.This can be minimized by using the max length bar that will fit.
The Watts is the superior but slightly more expensive route do to it's more complex design. It will allow full range of motion with minimal, if any, side to side movement.
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #109
babyblueoval

"Slightly more expensive" may be a bit of an understatement.
When Nathan was designing my suspension the Watts Link made it almost $300 more. Watts Link for 12 bolt is about $350
After checking clearances and possible space issues I decided to go with a triangulated 4-link which was a fair amount less expensive and you get basically zero side to side movement as you do with the Watts Link.
Your useage could have space issues with the triangulated so be sure to check it out before you go this route. Make sure you have somewhere for your tanks, exhaust, etc.

'71 Blazer-Porterbuilt Dropmember C4/LS1/6L80E
'57 VW beetle - Oct. 2006 Hot VW's pg. 87 - 350hp intercooled, turbocharged, EFI 2.3liter and 5spd in the works
'87 BMW 325i - daily driver
babyblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #110
Sweet 85 C10
OG

Nice! Only reason im asking is because alot of people ive seen only installed the 4 link and canti setup. I want to do it the right way pan hard bars are cool but im impressed with the Watts link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninLo View Post
Since KP's 4link in this kit is of a "parallel" design and the cantilever is as well you will still need something to restrict side to side axle movement. A pan hard would work but would pull the axle off center as it swung through it's arc as ride height changed.This can be minimized by using the max length bar that will fit.
The Watts is the superior but slightly more expensive route do to it's more complex design. It will allow full range of motion with minimal, if any, side to side movement.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #111
RunninLo

I try to use watts exclusively now since doing my first on our 92 Tow pig. It is a frame laying, 2.5" stock floor body dropped chevy crew cab dually. I Originally built it with a panhard bar but it was getting into the dually fenders.
A lot of guys will tell you towing and air don't mix but this thing is overbuilt and a triangulated 4 link wasn't an option. Watts were starting to pop up in the scene and so I built my own after talking to a few guys who were using them. Truck has about 25k miles on it since install and other than road grime still looked pretty new. We use it primarily to tow another extra-cab dually, a 64 impala, or 55 pro-street to shows.
here's a small pic:
Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #112
gunpointgraphics

can the kp rear link system work for a 79 2wd blazer? i want to buy a porterbuilt cross member but i dont know how the rear will come down easily.. Also dont want to lose my back seat.. also this truck is awesome..
gunpointgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #113
midwestcar

man that truck looks hot
midwestcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #114
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestcar View Post
man that truck looks hot
Mike just got my sport truck mag, and you truck is so so bad a-- man , the stance sic , color killer, very cool , is the truck going to be at sema? will look forward to meeting ya and seeing your ride, your dad would be very proud , lator dino
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #115
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
man that truck looks hot
Mike just got my sport truck mag, and you truck is so so bad a-- man , the stance sic , color killer, very cool , is the truck going to be at sema? will look forward to meeting ya and seeing your ride, your dad would be very proud , lator dino
Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #116
midwestcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
hey thanks alot man!! i still havent seen a copy..lol. it was at sema the last past two years. gonna take it easy this year and just enjoy it. the truck has only been to three shows so far... sema05 and 06 and havoc in bowling green ky. i plan on doing alot more this year after i finish my tow vehicle. you gonna be at sema? let me know we can hook up. and thanks again
Old 10-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #117
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
hey thanks alot man!! i still havent seen a copy..lol. it was at sema the last past two years. gonna take it easy this year and just enjoy it. the truck has only been to three shows so far... sema05 and 06 and havoc in bowling green ky. i plan on doing alot more this year after i finish my tow vehicle. you gonna be at sema? let me know we can hook up. and thanks again
Very cool, I was at nate on saturday working on my 78 here is a few pics,All i was doing was yapping about your truck to nate, It would cool to meet ya at sema, when i get more details on what day i will be there i will hit ya back dino
Attached Images

Last edited by Dinos63; 10-15-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #118
midwestcar

that would be cool. man nates taking good care of you on that truck. he's doing some kick ass stuff
Old 10-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #119
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
that would be cool. man nates taking good care of you on that truck. he's doing some kick ass stuff
Have you seen any my 60 trucks we did?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #120
Sweet 85 C10
OG

Anybody ever thought about chroming out the entire rear half of the 6 link kit, cantilever, 4 link bars and Watts link? That would be tight thinking of doing this to my truck.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #121
Kontrol Phreaks

Here's a truck that one of our dealers did and we made them a trick bridge/notch cover as well. The 4 link, cantilever, and Watts bars were all chromed, and the rest of the kit was powdercoated red to match the trucks exterior color. They also switched out the shocks for some killer Sway-Away shocks with the anodized red mounts.

This 88-98 trucks has a full kit that was powdercoated a candy green to really accent the trucks suspension.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #122
RunninLo

Ok Clint,
I don't wanna have to start with the daily phone calls again but these pics REALLY aren't helping. I've never had this much trouble spending money before.... I've been good all year but I don't know if I can hold out for Santa.

Josh

PS Dino, this truck looks as cool as the rest of the fleet.

Last edited by RunninLo; 10-15-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 PM   #123
PBFAB.COM

Finally had the time to finish up the "loose ends" on the suspension for Dino's truck. Got the watt's installed... decided to fab up some brackets that allow for ride-height adjustment, just in case Dino changes his mind on rear tire diameter in the future.
Attached Images

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #124
PBFAB.COM

A few more... shows a good comparison of the Factory Crossmember vs. Dropmember.
Attached Images

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #125
copperchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperchevy View Post
Clean truck. Any pics of the trans crossmember that comes with the kit. Will one bolt up to my 86.
I like the look of the one that comes with the dropmember kit. Are they sold separately.