The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
FL71C10

Auto Metal Direct hood from Summit

I need another hood for my truck. I was thinking of buying a hood from Summit, they have Auto Metal Direct hoods. Is that made by triplus? And what kind of experience have people had with these repo hoods?
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
FL71C10

Re: Auto Metal Direct hood from Summit

No opinions or suggestions?
Old 05-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
Cyanide93

No experience with a hood, but I just put 2 new AMD fenders on mine, didnt have to drill any holes, bolted right up.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
FL71C10

Thank you for sharing your experience. Has anybody used one of their hoods?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
tj1970cst

I had a good experience buying a goodmark cowl hood for my late model truck from summit. They shipped fast and it fit well.

I think if you get a crappy hood summit will make it right. They always have for me and everyone I know who buys there.
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
SoCoC10

I'd recommend finding another OEM hood. If you can't. Find a local restoration shop or body shop and have them order a Goodmark one through LKQ. LKQ owned Goodmark and they will not charge you shipping.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoC10 View Post
I'd recommend finding another OEM hood. If you can't. Find a local restoration shop or body shop and have them order a Goodmark one through LKQ. LKQ owned Goodmark and they will not charge you shipping.
But they would add onto cost of metal , wouldn’t they ?
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
FL71C10

I am looking to get opinions on the quality of the part, not the cost. I am on my second OEM hood, and they all have problems. I don't want to track down a third one and put more money into that one if the new one is good quality. I seem to be getting mixed signals. That's why I want to see about real experiences people have had.

I went on the Auto Metal Direct website and for that part it lists Tri-plus as the manufacturer. So I guess it's a Tri-plus hood. Any experience with those?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

AMD sells the same manufacturer's parts as Tri-Plus. There are only three stamping plants that make this stuff. AMD is listed at the top for their standard of acceptance. LKQ owns Goodmark and they are listed at the bottom. Makes sense since LKQ is obviously all about volume

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
Rambler62

I have one from summit. It came well packed and only had one minor flaw when unpacked and lined right up. I would buy again. Went on 1970 GMC stepside
Rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler62 View Post
I have one from summit. It came well packed and only had one minor flaw when unpacked and lined right up. I would buy again. Went on 1970 GMC stepside
Do you have pics of your hood mounted on the truck?....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 05-14-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: correct grammer
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
FL71C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Do you have pics of your hood mounted on the truck?....
No, the truck is apart and the hood is at the body man's shop. It sounds like he's going to be able to work out the stretch part and get it back to where it should be for a little bit less than it would cost to buy a new one
Old 11-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
jdime20

I'm a little late to this party but in the same boat as well, thinking about the AMD hood from summit. For everyone's info I tried a goodmark from lkq and it was about the most pathetic excuse for a hood I've ever dealt with.
jdime20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #14
FL71C10

It is my understanding that the ones from Summit are Key Parts. Those seem to be the best ones, but it is still a repop.

I ended up having him fix mine which cost a bunch. I will hopefully be putting it on in the next few days or week. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
68is4me

I bought a hood for a 68 from GMC pauls and the fit was almost as good as the original and if I remember right the sticker was from key parts.

I am not sure what year your working with, but who ever stamps the sheet metal for 67-68 redid all the stamps and they are a lot closer to factory specs than before.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68is4me View Post
I bought a hood for a 68 from GMC pauls and the fit was almost as good as the original and if I remember right the sticker was from key parts.

I am not sure what year your working with, but who ever stamps the sheet metal for 67-68 redid all the stamps and they are a lot closer to factory specs than before.
This must be true because I believe GMC Paul stopped selling the earlier stamping due to quality not up to snuff.

People need to realize it's about the manufacturer, not the distributor. You need to find out who made the hood from who you are buying from, then look for reviews on that! If the dealer can't or won't tell you, move on.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-23-2019 at 09:28 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #17
Sharptrans

Buy form GMC Paul's
Sharptrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
Rufas

Before I knew any better I purchased a cowl induction hood from LMC. It actually was a good hood. In fact my body shop said it was the best quality repo hood he had installed.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #19
kxmotox247

I caught a sale at Jegs for the new Tri-Plus hoods. Even spoke with someone from Tri-plus about whether I might be buying a hood that was made with old tooling or the redesigned tooling. He reassured me that they scrapped all the 1st version hoods. I think the shipping was $99 but the sale price offset that. It came to work without any dings or damage.
Like you I tried several used hoods. Found my original was full of holes behind the lip and the other OEM hood needed work.
All things considered the new Tri-Plus hood fits great. I'm running OEM fenders and grill. Aftermarket core support (Woodall). I'll still dial in the gaps but they are very manageable. My install was a little more complicated too since I'm running porterbuilt hinges.
Attached Images

kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #20
james69z28

late, but i just saw this post, I am going to purchase a new cowl hood for my '71 and it will be AMD, I don't know about truck hoods but after talking to many and lots of research on the net, seems like most reccommmend AMD.
I just put a new AMD cowl induction hood on my '69 camaro and it is heavy gauge metal and was about 95% perfect, even nos gm had some errors.
one corner was slightly bent but wasn't creased since it was low i put a 2 x4 under it and slowly closed it until it was perfect, one area on the back is a little higher than the other side (hard to explain) but not out enough to worry about no one will ever notice it I am just very picky and i decided to let it stay. after the bending of the one corner I had zero body work to do, car has been in 2 shows and no comments at all (bad), so for my truck it will be AMD because I have used a lot of the goodmark and others and they have many problems!
james69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #21
ImNoSpaz

Late to this thread too.
But I will say that I bought the goodmark cowl hood for my 67 and will never buy goodmark again. If the painter would have made sure it fit before painting it, it would have gone back because it sits darn near a half inch high along the top edge of the fenders. I also returned several window regs because they were made wrong. Goodmark told me they never had a problem with the hoods fitting ???????, and apologized for the regs. I wonder how many regs are out there made wrong? I'm sure they will do a recall on them?????
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #22
james69z28

all the companies that make repo junk have 1 standard answer "we have never had any complaints" so it must be something you are doing wrong.
OER made nearly all the replacement items i put on my 69 camaro and at least half of it is not even near the original GM stuff! they spent much more time and money making the great looking boxes!
I do not think any of them will ever recall anything it is just "tough luck" for the customer!
james69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:00 AM   #23
ImNoSpaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by james69z28 View Post
all the companies that make repo junk have 1 standard answer "we have never had any complaints" so it must be something you are doing wrong.
OER made nearly all the replacement items i put on my 69 camaro and at least half of it is not even near the original GM stuff! they spent much more time and money making the great looking boxes!
I do not think any of them will ever recall anything it is just "tough luck" for the customer!
I bought the OER bumper and took it back. The bolt holes were off by over an inch at the frame, and the curved edges at each end were ground different. With the holes being off it pushed the bumper to the drivers side and almost had the pass side touching the fender. Very thin and flimsy too. I would swear it was a rebox to boot. I ended up with the AMD bumper which was much better. The OER bumper bolts were a mess too. Way too long and the square part was way too deep. I sawed off the excess threads and lathed off the excess square. Summit was getting tired of me bringing stuff back so I dealt with the bolts.
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #24
kxmotox247

OER can't even get the rubber hood bumpers right.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote