The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
HotRodScottsdale

starting problems

well the old beast finally got the rad hose problem fixxed but now when i went to start it it ran really rough then died and wouldnt start, so i popped the hood and turns out the guy i got to look at it forgot to add oil so it had the smallest amount of oil so i poured some more in and it started sounded better then rough again and stalled then when i checked the stick it was blacker then a chainsmokers lungs at 60,is this the problem why it wont start cause its too old and thick of oil and would an oil change help or did i do somethng stupid to my motor?
HotRodScottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Re: starting problems

j i have no idear pawPosted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Karnage

So wait, are you saying you know you used bad oil? If so, it wont hurt to drain that crap out and replace it with decent oil.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
HotRodScottsdale

possibly the oil was in the truck for almost 2 summers and a winter and had no clue it was that low cause the last guy who did repair work on it said he checked EVERYTHING
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Stepper562

If the oil hasn't been changed in 2 and half years you may have bigger problems then just black thick oil...need more details to pinpoint the problem.

1: Change the oil and filter. Try to do a quick analysis. Check for metal shavings, discoloration, milky oil, fuel in oil...
2: I'd do a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap rotor. Make sure your plug gap is where its supposed to be in check firing order.
3: Check timing, vacuum leaks and the carb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #6
HotRodScottsdale

i still need to do an oil change on it but no gas smell in the oil. i checked the plugs and they seem fine and all my wires are fine so im thinking its a dirty carb.i recently started having siezers*apperntly i have something wrong with my brain* and doctor said i cant drive untill they figure out what wrong but basicly forcing me out of my #1 hobby and my job and i have a buddy whos a big gear head and loves my truck so debaiting on selling it to him on a deal that i can come and see the truck on occasions and take me for the odd ride lol. still alot of things to think about first tho, i would hate to see my blue box belonging to someone else but it might be whats best