The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
keystoneGerm

My contribution to a better society

I am having major issues trying to upload photos. I am trying to get away from Photobucket and use Google drive. There wasn't a way to run a test post so bare with me while I figure it out. In the mean time, if you use Google drive and know how to post an embedded pic please hit me up via call or text 610-256-1638

I am going on the fun. Rather than see this truck go to waste I picked it up for a build.
Barely ran, barely stopped, barely working in general really.

More coming test post, if you read this I am editing right now please don't post.

Last edited by keystoneGerm; 01-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.
keystoneGerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
keystoneGerm

Re: My contribution to a better society

it won't let me edit my first post anymore. I give up for the night. The pic was able to be hosted with imageshack, but it's too small and not clear. I have to up in 6 hours. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to upload from a phone, so maybe that's what the other ways aren't working from the FAQ
Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
SkinnyG

Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
keystoneGerm

Thanks for the help. I can't edit the second post now. Never had that problem in other forums.

So, the plans for this truck:

3/5 drop with flip,
Red metallic paint with new black interior
Full brake revamp
All new suspension and steering
87+ 350 with headers, Summit 1065 cam
Summit intake manifold and Edelbrock 600 carb

Just trying to build a normal daily driver that is really nice.it needs a decent amount of body work, but overall isn't too bad.

I am looking to buy an extra cab to do the body work off the frame. I will have an extra title and VIN plate if anyone e needs one, hit me up.

More pics to follow. I already did all the brake work and the steering and suspension is already ordered along with all the engine parts.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoneGerm View Post
Thanks for the help. I can't edit the second post now. Never had that problem in other forums.
So, the plans for this truck:

3/5 drop with flip,
Red metallic paint with new black interior
Full brake revamp
All new suspension and steering
87+ 350 with headers, Summit 1065 cam
Summit intake manifold and Edelbrock 600 carb

Just trying to build a normal daily driver that is really nice.it needs a decent amount of body work, but overall isn't too bad.

I am looking to buy an extra cab to do the body work off the frame. I will have an extra title and VIN plate if anyone e needs one, hit me up.

More pics to follow. I already did all the brake work and the steering and suspension is already ordered along with all the engine parts.
You only have a limited amount of time to edit posts on this site. Beyond that requires a moderator to assist.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
keystoneGerm

Thanks. I'll contact a mod to clean up the posts after I figure out the best way to load these images. I had to go back to Photobucket. I think I am going to try this out with the app.

Progress so far:

Old 01-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
daddyjeep

I have settled on Photobucket for all my forums. I have several hobbies.

Looks like a good start and a good plan for your truck.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
keystoneGerm

[IMG][/IMG]

Got the engine in last night. Still have a lot to go before I get it running. I am trying to decide on interior. I have been all over reading reviews of dash pads. For every good review of one there is another bad one. I want one that looks nice. It seems that most have issues with cluster fitments. I dont care about trimming stuff, but I want it to look good when done. I was thinking about starting a new thread for just dash pads where people can post pics, prices, part numbers and dates they bought them. Try to make a all inclusive style post. What do you guys think?
Old 01-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
RDrancher

Following along and glad I did. I've had some a/c vibration issues on the Suburban and just noticed from your photo that it's missing the brace that goes from the bracket to the side of the manifold.

I'd be interested in a dash pad thread.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
MikeB

So, tell us about the engine. Did it start life as that TPI engine in your truck bed?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 01-22-2017 at 12:52 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
keystoneGerm

Well, story goes as it was in an 86 IROC Z. The car was disassembled in 97 and the engine was put in dry storage. The car had 66k on it. I did some research and the 5.7 was not offered in 86. So the guy I got it from said, "Maybe it was an 87?". Regardless, it is definitely an 87+ 350. When I pulled the TPI manifold off, I found that they slotted the middle bolts for the different angle. So in fact it was an 86 IROC that had a newer 350 in it. So unfortunately, I do not know the mileage on this one, but it was really clean, and had the letters "CFE" stamped in all 4 corners of the heads. So it was either rebuilt or a savage yard engine. I am leaning towards rebuilt due to not having any temp indicators glued to any freeze plugs or heads.

Specs now are summit dual plane manifold, Edelbrock 1406 carb, summit 1065 cam and new lifters with a new true roller timing chain. The engine has been resealed, cleaned and painted with a single stage urethane in semigloss black.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
keystoneGerm

These headers fit really well. They were removed from a c10, but wasn't sure what they were made for. I didn't want to run the hedman for our trucks because they hang too low for a slammed truck. I didn't want to give up the HP from a set of shorty's, so I am going to notch the cross member a bit on the P/S and the driver's side I can weld the exhaust at a slight angle to fit above the cross member. I had to make a bushing for the A/C bracket so all day today was project headers.

Next on the menu is the carb linkage and then onto the exhaust.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
rusty76

Cool truck and I will be watching.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
keystoneGerm

Thanks. You guys are the greatest.��
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoneGerm View Post
These headers fit really well. They were removed from a c10, but wasn't sure what they were made for. I didn't want to run the hedman for our trucks because they hang too low for a slammed truck. I didn't want to give up the HP from a set of shorty's, so I am going to notch the cross member a bit on the P/S and the driver's side I can weld the exhaust at a slight angle to fit above the cross member.
These s-bend header extensions came in handy when I installed my Patriot long tubes. However, I had to section one for use on the passenger side. They are available in two or three pipe sizes.

Hedman 18803:

1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #16
keystoneGerm

That is really good info. Thanks for the help
Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #17
MikeB

FYI, I used 2 coats of VHT high-temp paint over 2 coats of this KBC 1200 degree primer. After 3 months of the truck sitting outside, there are no signs yet of any rust. Much better than using just VHT paint. Turns out the Hedman extensions aren't aluminized, so I need to coat them, too. For your headers, I'd suggest using some type of rust converter before painting.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/XTC-Primer.html

Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
keystoneGerm

I have never seen header paint last, so I wasn't going to waste my time. If you get yours up and running let me know or I will contact you to see how it's lasting. When I pull the cab and front clip, I'll repaint if you still have good results.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
keystoneGerm

Started to rough in the wiring. I am deleting the ECS distributor. At some point the car had a little engine fire it seems, so glad I seen this issue. I am going to eliminate the fuseabke links and run some standard ATC fuses. My goal is to eliminate all the visible wiring and vacuum lines.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #20
keystoneGerm

Got the exhaust done today. I am pretty happy with the Pypes dual exhaust system. One bend wasn't right, but I was planning on welding most of it together anyway. I had to do a few pie cuts to clear the driver's side crossmember, but not to bad.

This is what I started with.

First side done, no progress pics though.

Then made a few cuts with the torch

Welded the system together.

Got it on, sucks I couldn't get the X-pipe centered

Giving myself plenty of room in case I C-notch it later.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
keystoneGerm

Worked on the harness today. All day spent on just the A/C portion. I rerouted under the air box, reloomed with nice loom and heat shrink all ends. Got rid of the junction block on the firewall, so ran my last fuse off the alternator. Now I am working on the transmission wiring for the kickdown and torque converter lockup. Anyone know what the red 2 wire plug is for the transmission?

These connectors are awesome to depin to do the wiring reloom. I am used to garbage Volkswagen pins that get stuck on the reg.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #22
keystoneGerm

I used this diagram to figure out my lockup. Thanks to another member here on the board, and Google images. I fully deleted the ECS distributor wiring.

I got the rest of the harness roughed in. This one is going to be a ***** to loom. Fuses are already connected and can't depin, the oil pressure switch and sender can't be depinned. I may cut and resolder to get the heatshrink on at the same time extend or shorten as needed.

Time for bed.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
keystoneGerm

Making pretty good process. Got the distributor in and am making the wires today. I think I can have it running tomorrow. Need to run a wire to the fuel pump and finish plumbing in the pump and filter. Install radiator and fluids.

On a side note. I think I am buying ab 81 C60. I am going to use the doors off of it and the 22' box. I will be selling the truck complete of part out. I live in a nice neighborhood and can't have the truck sit here. If you need something, LMK. It's a 366 with a 5 speed.