The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Mownsno

Wheels, Tires, and suspension help needed.

Hey guys I can finally say that I bought a truck! I purchased a '72 shortbox with a 67-8 front clip. Really excited about getting this thing going, it is ready to roll except I need some help with wheels and tires, etc. This truck was a daily driver but sat too low for what I want. This truck has 2.5 drop spindles with 2 inch drop springs in the front that had one full coil cut out of them. The back has 6 inch springs and 2 inch blocks. I was thinking of replacing the front springs with 2 inch drop without cutting them and removing the block in the rear. I am wanting to run bigger tires than what he had on as well, obviously he couldn't fit much under that much of a drop. I would like to run 20's all the way around or a 20/22 stagger. I have included some pics of what I want the truck to look like and also my truck. I have been looking at threads on here which are amazing but some are very long and I am looking to get this resolved right away so I can start driving this. This winter I will start into bigger projects on the truck.

Thanks GUYS!!!
Mownsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Mownsno

Re: Wheels, Tires, and suspension help needed.

I guess I need to resize pics but don't know how, lol. Could someone help with that too.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Xeen

Use a picture hosting site that way you won't have limitations.
http://imgur.com/
This one is easy to use, you just upload them to the site then change the size from original image to large thumbnail then copy and paste the BBC Code to here in the message box.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
CC69Rat

If you have the picture saved, say on your desktop of your pc:

> Right click and you should see an option for 'Open With'
> Choose Microsoft Picture Manager (it's possible it's not on your pc. Most pcs have it installed, Win 7, etc. )
> When the image opens, up top you will see the toolbar
> Choose Picture
> Compress Pictures

Change it to about 640x480 resolution ( i usually save a compressed version on my pc too so I don't overwrite my original larger version )

I'm an IT guy. The awesome people that run the board do this to hold down the space it takes to store and/or backup all the images that get uploaded to this site daily, plus .. how big do we really need the images to be? ) Usually you will be safe with something around this size. If you see an error about 'Invalid Token..' Something like that it is a safe bet the pics are too big.

Excited to see your truck, welcome to the board.

(Remember, if you put larger diameter wheels on your truck, it will actually raise your truck some. ) For example if you have a 26" diameter tire on it now and you put a 28" diameter tire on it .. the truck will be 1" higher off the ground. (1" up into the fender, 1" down to the ground thus raising the truck ) I wouldn't pull the springs / blocks out just yet Just sayin ..

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Mownsno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
If you have the picture saved, say on your desktop of your pc:

> Right click and you should see an option for 'Open With'
> Choose Microsoft Picture Manager (it's possible it's not on your pc. Most pcs have it installed, Win 7, etc. )
> When the image opens, up top you will see the toolbar
> Choose Picture
> Compress Pictures

Change it to about 640x480 resolution ( i usually save a compressed version on my pc too so I don't overwrite my original larger version )

I'm an IT guy. The awesome people that run the board do this to hold down the space it takes to store and/or backup all the images that get uploaded to this site daily, plus .. how big do we really need the images to be? ) Usually you will be safe with something around this size. If you see an error about 'Invalid Token..' Something like that it is a safe bet the pics are too big.

Excited to see your truck, welcome to the board.

(Remember, if you put larger diameter wheels on your truck, it will actually raise your truck some. ) For example if you have a 26" diameter tire on it now and you put a 28" diameter tire on it .. the truck will be 1" higher off the ground. (1" up into the fender, 1" down to the ground thus raising the truck ) I wouldn't pull the springs / blocks out just yet Just sayin ..
Thanks for the pic info. I will try it now to see if I can get it to work. As far as the suspension goes, it has to be raised. It sits to low. The previous owner had 20's already on it and they rubbed if you turned the tires and the wheels would rub. All this and the inner fenders aren't even in the truck. I want bigger tires and that is gonna require more room.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Mownsno

Here it is when I bought it
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Mownsno

This is more like how I want it to look. I would like to have the tires tucked into the wheel wells good but cannot sacrifice drive ability. This is a 20/22 staggered. Of course I didn't get the info from him.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
CC69Rat

Looks (to me ) like a 4.5 / 6 " drop with 2" blocks in the back. It sounds like on your truck a combination of the 1 round cut out of the front coils, and incorrect offset on the front wheels is causing the rubbing issues. 2.5" spindles, 2" springs + one full round would equal about a 6" drop up front and I'll have to agree that's kinda low.

I think the green truck might be 4.5" F and 6" R but it has at least a 1" block, maybe 2"

The combo you want is a 20x8.5" wheel up front, 5.25" BS, 255/40/20 tire. 20x10" wheel in the rear, 5.5" BS (assuming you have the 72 rear end housing) and a 295/40/20 tire. With 22" in the rear I'd stick with a 285 or 295 tire .. but ..

Not assuming you don't know this..

Tires are measured like this. Say 295/40/20 for example. Take the 295 and devide it by 25.4. This will give you the width of the tire in inches. = 11.61"

Multiply this number by the aspect ratio. In this case, 40. So, 11.61 x .40 = 4.64" This is the height of the sidewall of the tire in inches.

Two sidewalls (top / bottom ) 4.64 + 4.64 " = 9.28" + your wheel = 29.29 " tall. (rounded)

What you don't want to do is get the height of the sidewalls too far apart. Compare the front to back, and of course the back sidewall needs to be a little more meaty lookin than the front. Width wise too.. You don't want the front tires to look bigger than the back tires when you stand behind or beside the truck.

On the front - 255/40/20 = 10.03" wide, 4.01" sidewall, 28.02" tall
On the rear - 295/40/20 = 11.61" wide, 4.64" sidewall, 29.29" tall

OR - 295/35/22 = 11.61" wide, 4.06" sidewall, 30.12" tall. <~~ see what I mean ?
295/40/22 = 11.61" wide, 4.64" sidewall, 31.29" tall

I like to get my tires from the same manufacturer too, you might check with Raul here on the board, I think he has a 20/22 setup on his stepper than looks incredible. I think he has 285/35/22 on his but it's bagged.. and laying rocker if I recall.

Hope this helps man

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Mownsno

Wow thanks for the explanation on the tire/wheels measurements! I knew about some of it but not that much and especially in that detail. I agree with what you were saying about my truck. I believe it is at about a 6/8 drop right now. So you think that green truck has a 4/6 plus a block of 1-2" in the rear? What I was thinking about doing was replacing front springs with 2" drop without cutting them and removing the 2" block in the rear. Thus putting my truck at about 4.5/6 drop. you think I could start there with wheel sizes you described and then add a block in the rear if it needs to come down a touch? I also agree with the width and sidewall height look. I have seen people stagger wheel/tires and even though the back is bigger it has a shorter sidewall and looks smaller. It looks stupid. I also want to run the same manufacturer tire on all four corners so we agree with that too. I am curious what you meant by the clearance issue in the rear with a 72 rear end? Whats the difference and how can I tell what it is? Keep it coming you are a huge help?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Mownsno

BTW who is Raul and how do I find him? also I meant help!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
CC69Rat

Yes, you got it..

Swap your springs out and pull the blocks to just give you an idea at 4.5/6 drop. The blocks can be added back in to adjust to your liking.

These trucks came with two different length rear end housings. 67-early 70 model trucks didn't have disc brakes up front yet. The rear end housings are more narrow than late build 70-72 model year trucks.

This happened because in 71 the disc brakes up front added track width. The trucks started to look a little goofy (just my wording to help explain it) so they added .75" to the width of the rear housing to help match up the width front-to-back. So looking down the side of the truck the rear end wouldn't look sunken in as far.

67-69 rear end housings are 55.5" long -- IF you lay under the truck and measure the length of the housing from the inside edge of one brake backing plate to the other. IF you're around 55.5" side to side you know it's the early housing. IF this measurement is 57" it's the late housing. 71-72. You said your truck is a 72, so I'm assuming late rear end and 5 lug, etc.

A lot of times lets say I have a 68 but I want 5 lug. I can swap the whole rear end, BUT say I have $5k wrapped up in billet wheels to fit my old housing. The later model housing is .75" wider and now the backspacing is off. So when I suggested 20x10" wheels on the back, I said 5.5" BS to fit your 72 rear end housing. IF it's the early housing, go with 5" BS. Make sense?

A lot of guys like the early housings because they are narrower. I can stuff more wheel under the truck (same width, but the 'lip' on the outside will look wider) because the housing is shorter.

This is huge when it comes time to replace your axles too. A lot of times guys will replace the 6 lug axles for 5 lug. 67-69 year model (usually 6 lug) will be 30.5" long if you measure from the mounting surface of the wheel to the end of the splines on the axle. the later model housing takes a 31 5/16" axle at this same measurement. What I'm saying is it's not always as simple as robbing original 71-72 5 lug axles and sticking them in my 67. Just as an example

If you're thinking about new wheels, you definitely want to know which housing is in your truck.

67-69 year model usually has the narrow housing. 70 was the transition year, I have seen wide and narrow housings in them. There IS such a thing as a wide 6 lug (I had one in my GMC I just sold) Most OEM 5 lugs will be 71-72 and 57" long plate-to-plate.

There is a different way to measure overall length, etc.. but under the truck and the backing plate point is easier since you don't have to remove the wheels. Just a buddy to hold the other end of the tape measure.

Do you have shock relocators on your truck now? Are the rear shocks in the factory position? Post up a pic if you'd like.
Later ..

Last edited by CC69Rat; 07-25-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
CC69Rat

>> Raul's stepper .. Good friend of mine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485320

Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Mownsno

Thanks I am looking at his build as we speak. One last thing. Who or where would you recommend buying front springs?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
CC69Rat

Early Classic Enterprises. Talk to Stan, tell him you are a board member and you'll get a discount.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Mownsno

Just ordered some springs! Talked to Stan and he saved me about $10! Thanks again, I'll stay in touch with the suspension.