The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
jmarkha1

65 Fleetside slowburn project

Some serious lurking on this site before I finally purchased my truck in UK early summer in 2016. I bought it from Oil City Americana in the south of the UK - I am based in Surrey which is 15 miles outside of London.

I had NO idea of the size of this thing when looking at pictures online - when it was delivered the size became very obvious - get plenty of gear in the back of these trucks.

The plan id to protect the truck from the UK weather without destroying its 'patina' - makes me wince using this overplayed term but hey ho.

The truck looks to be a really honest one family owned truck - built in Fresno and lived in S California until it was traded for a newer truck. It has a SBC and 2 speed Powerglide, Manual Steering and drums all round without booster.

Original paint on some panels - 518 light yellow with fawn interior.

This project will be a running project (famous last words) for now with the intention of using it for a house build next year.

I am preparing the truck for road licence - changing headlights, adding windscreen washers and making sure everything is in good shape.

learning a lot of info from this forum - a few pictures of the arrival...

as seen for sale -with new chrome rallyes, wooden bed sides and a few battle scars

the morning she showed up was delivered - very excited to get her off and start checking things out - first cheeky drive up the road and finally got back on the drive and after some serious tinkering managed to squeeze it down the side of the house into the carport - that first drive told me one thing - I need power steering...
I love he stance of the truck and was interested why the ralleys seemed to stick out so far - after taking a wheel cap off - ah 5 lug! - with adapters hat measured over 3" going from 6x5.5 to 5x5.5.

The chrome wheels did not last long - replaced with a set of white wheel vintique steels - 6x15 and 8x15 with 235/75/15 & 255/70/15 tyres - tucked in with 4" back spacing - much better IMO.
I stripped the interior out, treated surface rust on the floor and recovered / refoamed the bench with a original style cover - more pics to come.

jmarkha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
66ChevyMax

Re: 65 Fleetside slowburn project

Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard, down the rabbit hole you go
1957 Chevrolet 2dr Hardtop
"It makes sence if you don't think about it"
Mesquite 1966 C10 - LS3 W/ Air Ride
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4989763
66ChevyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
jmarkha1

Thanks Craig - just checked out your build - WOW.
cool story being your dad's truck - I reckon your boys will be after the keys...
jmarkha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Bomp

Glad you're keeping it a rolling project for a house build.
I tore into mine back in 2011, major project now.
Since bought other trucks to drive to stay motivated.
Looks to be a solid truck you have. enjoy.
Sub'd
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote