The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Wowcars

Rebuilding my Youth (1972 K20)

I posted this in my intro, but I guess it kind of morphed into a build thread. Although, haven't done too much building yet.

So I've had this truck since I was 15 years old. I redid the body and painted it the summer after I graduated High School (1996). For many years it was my daily driver and the newest vehicle I owned. This is the only good digital picture I have of it. This was taken when I was selling my house in the country to move to Chicago to build Hot Rods. Both the '40 Chevy coupe (my 1st car) and the pickup (my 2nd car) had to go into storage.

After a couple of years of building cars for other people, I got burned out, moved back to MN, changed careers and got engaged last year.
For the upcoming wedding, I promised my lovely wife-to-be I'd have my '50 Studebaker (my 3rd car) ready. This one:

Now that the Stude is almost nearing completion, I've set my sights back on pulling the '72 out of storage for an overhaul. This truck means a LOT more to me than just a pickup. Both the '40 and the '72 were given to me by my uncle because he had other projects to finish. Unfortunately, he passed away unexpectedly right after I moved to Chicago. So this rebuild will be in his honor.
Plans include a very slight lift, maybe 2 inches and running pie cutter tires to deal with our Minnesota winters. I won't do much custom to the body, which is rare for me, but I like it how it is. I plan on undercoating all the inside of all of the body panels to put off rust as long as possible, as this will be a somewhat daily driver again.

Losing my storage forced me to get the truck out and on the way back home. Finally...

So after it sat at my parents house while I went and got married and finished the Studebaker enough for the wedding, I was finally able to pick it up and had a friend help me bring it home.

Last week I pulled the trigger on this Craigslist score. 60,000 mile 1996 454. I will be running a HEI or points dizzy and carb. Always dreamed of having a big block in my pickup. Starting to come true.

First item on the list is to get the engine ready for dropping in and get the truck running again. Then it will be a long list of body panel replacement and slowly getting it reliable once again. Storage was not good to her.
Wowcars is offline   Reply With Quote