The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
-T-

wiring guru's needed

I am putting an 01 blazer tank under the bed of my truck. I have the fuel pump wired and functioning, and now im preparing for an aftermarket fuel level gauge. I have found the wiring diagrams for the fuel pump. My question for the GURU's is, does the fuel level sensor return wire just get ground? Does the computer ground this wire or can I just ground this wire to the frame? My understanding of the wiring in the donor vehicle is that the computer grounds this wire when the blazer was running to keep the dash completely shut down when turned off. Im not sure that I would have to have this as it doesn't draw enough power to matter, or does it?

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/rm...91804_fule.gif

thanks
-T- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
burnin oil

Re: wiring guru's needed

Don't know exactly what you have but I can tell you this much. Just about, if not all, pre computer vehicle has a lead wire the goes from the tank to the gauge. As the float goes up and down the float changes resistance and the gauge reads this resistance. The sending unit must match the gauges operating range to work.

Fuel pump should be wired to an ignition hot wire or into a oil pressure switch so that no pressure will shut off the fuel flow.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
jimdaug

Re: wiring guru's needed

I'm curious about this too. I'm wanting to swap in a similar pump eventually.

I think on the newer stuff that the ECU or PCM or some other acronym drives the gauges. It gets the signal from the sensor and then processes it and drives the gauges on a separate circuit because the new gauges are stepper motors instead of an electromagnetic device. I haven't looked into it that much so unfortunately I don't have a solution.
jimdaug is offline   Reply With Quote