The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #26
davischevy

Re: 71 GMC Longhorn tires and/or rims

We have several sets of Transforces on company trucks. I'm not normally a Firestone man but that's what we got the deal on. We haven't had any abnormal events or wear with them. I had one replaced due a bad cut in a tire on my company truck the other day.

I have an off brand Mastercraft on my Longhorn. I guess I don't have enough pull with the front office.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
My tires were from ‘15 the second set were from around the same time. Never used tire shine on them as it was a “working” truck. Both sets dry rotted within a few months and wore prematurely, roughly 70k between the both sets combined.
by the time I get 35k on a set, it's about time for new tires anyway.
but still, I feel your pain. first I've ever heard of anyone having a dry rot issue, or any issue, with these tires, but 35K is average, to a little below, for tires on an HD truck in my experience. beats the heck out of Goodyears though But it sounds like you racked up the miles pretty quickly if they were dated 2015 - so it does seem odd that they'd experience dry rot.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #28
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
We have several sets of Transforces on company trucks. I'm not normally a Firestone man but that's what we got the deal on. We haven't had any abnormal events or wear with them. I had one replaced due a bad cut in a tire on my company truck the other day.

I have an off brand Mastercraft on my Longhorn. I guess I don't have enough pull with the front office.
still made in USA by cooper so they did alright for you.. at least they didn't put cheap chinese rubber on there..
Old 12-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #29
JerryIndy2112

Ok, I got tires on the truck today. But, Man, what a drama.
I decided to go with the Firestone 16.5. I did some shopping by calling used tire stores around Indianapolis. I felt really lucky to find a set of 4, never mounted. Tags still on them. Marker on the tread, brand new.
Took a week to get the set because they were lost in storage. Picked up last one today. Loaded them in bed, called a tire shop to get them mounted, balanced and get oil change as well.
Had wife follow me to tire store because the dry rot was so bad I was worried a tire may blow on the way. Got to the tire store, they looked at my tires. The tires while never mounted were over 10yrs old. Tire store refused to work with tires due to age. Rubber ages and insurance will not let them touch them. Crap. Nice clean tires I paid $350 for are worthless. The tire guy said, "see if a mom and pop store will mount them". He gave me a quote to get the new tires after the weekend delivered. Then installed. $750.00
I went into the parking lot and called used tire stores to find someone to mount the tires I had. New tires will have to wait, it is Christmas time. I need income, not new spending.
Called someone and he said he would put them on. So wife followed me to a crap little place and they did the mounting and new stems. They were unable to balance because my rims were too big inside to tighten onto machine. I've gone this far so fine. Just get them on the truck. After waiting 2.5 hrs. Tires are on truck. Drove truck home. Engine runs much better after running for maybe 30 miles. The truck had more miles today than it has had in 20 years. I have learned better how to drive it. I feel much more comfortable driving it. While it was lifted I got a better look underneath it. Cab mounts are rotted. All mounts need replaced. Sitting in a yard was worst thing for the truck!

Jerry
JerryIndy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote