The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #51
aspiringthomas

Re: Underbed gas tanks...yes again

How many gallons is the smaller tank that is not visible.
aspiringthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #52
aspiringthomas

I am looking at installing a gas tank at the rear of my 1965 chevy c10 and wonder what options for fuel pumps there if I put a 5.3 fuel injected engine in it.

Thanks Jeff.
aspiringthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #53
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Most of the aftermarket tank people have an option for the intank, which is better cuz it keeps the pump cool. they are not cheap, but if I were in the market, I would talk to DavidBoyd, he is out of Florida and he makes a nice tank, 19 Gal with/without fuel pump.

Oh, I PM'd you and asked if the truck in your avitar is a crew, is it?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 05-04-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #54
Rodents

All these threads talk mainly about 63-72 trucks.
I've seen the underbed kits for 55-59 and 63-72.
BUT I have a 1961 Apache C10 longbed. (Width/fit is different I'm assuming?)
What are my options?
Does anyone know of someone who has done this maybe a build out there?
Thanks dudes,
The Rodents
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #55
ImpalaJim

I bought a tank from LMC. Its going to take some doing the flipping fill is right where the bed cross member goes.
ImpalaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #56
rickylucy

I also bought a 17 gallon tank from LMC. Does anyone see any problems with bolting it directly to the frame instead of using the straps??
rickylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #57
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If this is a stamped steel tank, those flanges are not intended to support the weight of a full tank of fuel for an extended time. The tank could eventually fail where the flanges meet the tank. This is why the straps are used to support the tank.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #58
rickylucy

Thank you for your advise.
rickylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #59
63frankintruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
The price for the tank you linked to is definately a good value. Again, as a couple guys already posted, the blazer tanks like the one you have selected will hang down low. It will be visible from the rear of the truck. That bothers a lot of guys that have installed them.

If that bothers you check out my build thread for data on a late 50's Chevy Passenger car tank install. It isn't visible from the rear of the truck if the truck has a bumper or a roll pan.

It's a personal preference thing. The first two pictures below are my truck with the Chevy passenger car tank. Second picture is a blazer style tank.

Good luck!

Folllowing this thread.... I like the look of that 50s Chevy tank. What year and model Chevy tank is that?
63frankintruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #60
Pinchecharlie

I literally just did this yesterday. My 2 cents- I got a universal truck tank from tanks Inc. I had a mustang tank from another project and it was a better mount style but was more work to fit. So I think the mustang tanks a good one if it's free and you don't care about losing 2.5-3 inches of frame rail ,bottom or top if you wan5 to drop it in from top. The tanks Inc tank was 225 or so and I got one with fuel injection tray. It comes with a sender of your choice and a pickup and style of fill, bolt on. The fills placement is no good for bed fill cause it lands on a metal strip. So you have to delete that hole and move it where you want it and cut and drill. You also have to do straps that are provided. So in the end you have an extra 10 bucks filling the fill hole and moving the filler and a fair amounts of fabrication mounting the straps and making it level. Maybe around 235 or so. The tanks that bolt to a flange on the rail would be stupid easy but cost more and a boyds would be best but you gotta buy that too. Over all I am very happy with this tank but very embarrassed that it took me 6-7 hours to set it up and I cussed a lot and it's not going to be very fun if and when it has to be dropped for service. You could deffenitly a range it for side fill but you would have to think that through just like everyone else. Tanks sells all the pieces for what ever you want.the tank is far smaller than a lot of the ones being used and is 16gl. Not very I trusive from bet I d but it does take up the entire space .More like 4.5 cents after all sorry!
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #61
Cris

Pinchecharlie:

Which universal tank did you buy from Tanks?

Thanks, Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #62
AcampoDave

Here's how I did the Tanks Inc filler.....dang no pics...see next post
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #63
AcampoDave

Got a new tablet and struggling with the pics
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #64
jrusher

I just welded one up for my 65 other day. $170 in material and a days work pretty much
Attached Images

jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #65
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Pinchecharlie:

Which universal tank did you buy from Tanks?

Thanks, Cris
Umm..go to site then -universal fuel cells and then there are 3 choices I think for c10. One has fuel injection one doesn't and I think stainless? Super easy to find bit double ch3ck b3fore check out and make sure you get everything you need at once cause they charge shipping. Maybe scummitt or speedway has it and you could just reference the numbe4? All the accessories are on a accessories page easy to find.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #66
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Got a new tablet and struggling with the pics
Oh tricky! Didnt think of that!!! Allways a day late and a dollar short!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #67
Railroader

I know this thread is on tanks and installation but when it comes to fuel sending unit and gauge compatibility you can get a conversion unit to change 30 ohms to 90 ohms. In fact I have one if someone needs one.
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #68
pdxhall

Here is my early mustang fuel tank. If you'd like to see the install check my build thread.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #69
Cris

Pinchecharlie:

My understanding about the Tanks Inc universal tanks is they are a touch wider than a C10 frame and that you have to cut the lower frame flange. Just trying to see if you found a tank that fit without cutting the frame.

All these aftermarket suppliers and no one makes a true bolt-in tank that doesn't hang down. I'd happily take (only) a 14 gallon tank that fit up nice against the frame!

Thanks, Cris
Old 03-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #70
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Pinchecharlie:

My understanding about the Tanks Inc universal tanks is they are a touch wider than a C10 frame and that you have to cut the lower frame flange. Just trying to see if you found a tank that fit without cutting the frame.

All these aftermarket suppliers and no one makes a true bolt-in tank that doesn't hang down. I'd happily take (only) a 14 gallon tank that fit up nice against the frame!

Thanks, Cris
Yep you are right but it was about a 1/16 on both sides. I took a cut off wheel and did a little more than a blade width on either side of just bottom of rail to make it fit. That was easy . The thing that made me struggle was the offset crossmember in front. I keep thinking that the straps needed to hug the tank so I made tabs for the straps off the crossmember. I also made tab mounts on the frame so I could know it was level without the bed on. I over thinked it and I have never done straps in all these years so didn't really know how they where supposed to be. A main beam for the bed with the bed side support braces lands right in the middle of the tank and I think a guy could use it to locate the tank up with the straps but I just wanted it to be solid. .like I said I over thought it a bit lol. Also you don't have to cut out the rear crossmember at all. My mustang tank was a dry sump style and I all ready built it in to my 49 so I was going for cheap and easy. I am just a hack fabricator. Sure a real guy would have it in an a couple hours plumbed and ready to drive. The tank isn't as good as a flanged tank that bolts to the frame as far as easy but it's smaller and it's cheaper. If I didn't have kids I'd buy a boys tank just cause it's so nice. I can send you pics on Monday if you want . We're at inlaws for Easter (boring) lol!
Old 03-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #71
AcampoDave

Chris, its not hard to make the Tanks inc fit. Like Charlie, I used my grinder but instead of a cut off wheel I used the grinding wheel and slowly removed enough material from the lower frame rail so as to slip the tank thru. Looking at my receipt, here's what I used in my'66.
Tank pt# UT-N-2-T
Pick up, return and vent pt# PTA-G
Fuel sender # TAN-GML
Strap liner # SL24
Fuel Sender # TAN-GME (this one varries by ohm ratings for the application)

Last edited by AcampoDave; 03-31-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #72
Cris

Dave:

Thanks for the good summary. I won't be forced to change my tank until I fuel inject my inline 6. Then I'll have to make a move. I'd really prefer to keep the frame virgin(ish), but if there is no other option at that time, that Tanks part is on my list. Its nice that they make all the accessories for an FI application.

Cris
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #73
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I'm looking to put 2 saddle plastic fuel injected takes on the out side of my frame rails french in 2 doors for ether side have the 5.3 with the 4l70E.I don't have the small window any longer swapped with a guy for his big window 66.I've always had a problem that every one is on the driver side of the pump at a gas station .I want to fill up on ether side.Been driving these types of trucks for the better part of 27 years It all stated at age 14 Now i'm 47.Love these old trucks

my 1965 is my work horse for 20 years bought the short bed 10 year ago Now i bought me a new truck my 1972 and 71 chevy pick up's I'm a true diehard But like my 1990-92 ford rangers 4.0 5 speeds

an my 1971 Mock up 427 th400 12 bolt floor shifter Nova with AC ya to many toys
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #74
kens65fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Here is my early mustang fuel tank. If you'd like to see the install check my build thread.
Thanks
kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #75
Ghetto Fireman

I went with a Boyd tank. It’s great
Attached Images

Ghetto Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote