The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #1
steve aleve

Anyone know what makes this truck sound so deep and clean?

I love the sound of this truck and I am wondering what gives it that killer sound. It’s deep and smooth. More so than I usually hear from an ls sawp

https://youtu.be/S0_ZpJdAnWQ
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Anyone know what makes this truck sound so deep and clean?

Part 2 of the video that better shows the rear of the exhaust system. You can barely catch a glimpse of the mufflers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9BNObThNII
Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #3
mr48chev

That engine and just the right mufflers.

A friend of mine has what is probably a 2004 Chevy truck give or take a year or so. That truck has the best sounding pipes I have ever heard with a 5.3 or 5.7 and I don't know for sure what he has in it. I don't know who put the exhaust on but he doesn't go cheap on anything and always goes top of the line.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
1project2many

As always it's a combination. The first thing to notice is large pipe diameter. Smaller pipes tent to produce more bark or crackle. Larger pipes produce a lower, more rolling sound. Second will be cam timing. Later valve opening generally allows more complete combustion while early valve opening allows fuel/air which is still reacting to exit the engine. Third is ignition timing for the same reason as cam timing. Fourth is compression ratio. This is tied in with cam timing but a higher compression engine has more cylinder pressure when the exhaust valve is open which can cause a more "snappy" sound.

Check out this Merc by the same individual:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVdWK8GbgE
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
65blackfleetside

I think Those headers look to be the same that I have?, Chrome S-10 LS block hugger style nothing to special. I think I found them on Amazon?

The exhaust pipe looks to be 2.5?

Not sure what mufflers he is using ? Probably FlowMaster ?
I would bet no Cats.

As someone mentioned-The larger size pipe sounds much better.
I had 2-1/4" pipe on my last build and you can tell the difference with 2- 1/2" Sounds way better with larger pipe. Deeper growl.

Dumping it early behind the cab is one way to do it but for me I was worried about the noise being so close to the cab.

I am running a 2 in 2 out Borla Muffler(amazon) in the stock muffler location on of the S10 frame (towards front of the bed underneath but after cab) and it sounds NASTY !

I ran pretty much the same setup as that guy's You tube only straight out the back center with roll pan .

My Truck Sounds exactly like that!

Sometimes these non stock exhaust setups can drone inside the cab- If you have ever heard one drone, than you know what I am talking about. Makes you want to drive off a bridge. This usually happens within certain RPM ranges. There are explanations for that the sound engineers can explain better than I. H pipe or X pipe can help with that if you end up getting a Drone.

Go with 2.5" pipe. Get some block hugger headers a good quality muffler. and you will be happier than a little kid when he hears the ice cream truck around the corner!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

heres the truck.....https://www.schwankeengines.com/coll...window-truck-1

looks like borla muffs with h-pipe
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 01-11-2019 at 06:12 PM.
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
steve aleve

Thanks MiraclePieCo, mr48chev, 1project2many, 65blackfleetside and mongocanfly!!!!
You guys are great!

I knew this was the place to ask! I agree it is a combination of a lot of factors. Good find mongocanfly! You can clearly see here the straight run of pipes, the h-pipe w/o cats and the headers!

I would love to get a set of headers like that (or even some c6 stock manifolds) but mine is on an s-10 frame and dumping down like that would hit the a-arms. I have 5.3 truck manifolds now and they highlight the firing sequence so it sounds like a truck. Not sure if I have any other options that would get closer to equal length primaries…
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #8
mr48chev

I'd think some serious hunting will bring up a set of headers or exhaust manifolds that will work.
Some times what works for one guy with a similar engine and chassis won't work for another as one's engine sits a tad lower or higher and can be located a bit further forward or back. I'd think LS swap into a G body chassis would be the start though as an S-10 chassis is basically a G body chassis in front of the side rails.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
1project2many

There's an S10 out behind my shop with an LS swap. It has headers. The owner bought a set of Ebay headers made for the swap. They were part of a "swap kit" that sold for short money.

H pipe on that exhaust does amazing things for reducing the pressure of the exhaust pulses. My truck with 302 Chebbie, headers, and duals sounds soooo quiet many people think it's stock.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #10
65blackfleetside

I went back and looked at my build records: here is what I used on my LS . So far very happy with fit,quality and sound best of all $175.00!! not $600
If you can - install an H or even better a pre fabbed X pipe. and keep your mufflers towards the front 25% not back 25% exit. this will help eliminate drone.

Also I purchased the black 2.5" speedway exhaust kit and made my own custom exhaust. I enjoyed the process and it looks very clean. They give you 4 of every possible bend straight etc.

"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9EAZPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"
Old 01-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
65blackfleetside

If you are running an S10 frame like me than this is the Borla that I installed. I love the way it Sounds. It growls like a corvette or mustang when you get on it. just like the video above.

The Fuel Tank on the left side of frame makes it difficult to run 2 mufflers under the bed.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside View Post
If you are running an S10 frame like me than this is the Borla that I installed. I love the way it Sounds. It growls like a corvette or mustang when you get on it. just like the video above.

The Fuel Tank on the left side of frame makes it difficult to run 2 mufflers under the bed.
Can you post the part number for your Borla muffler. Also, where does your muffler sit relative to the rear axle?

I have an S10 swap with the side tank and am coming to the same conclusion that it will be tight to run two mufflers.

Thanks.

Wade
Old 01-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #13
65blackfleetside

Wade,

My first attempt at a single 2 in 2 out was this Flowmaster "Crossflow" one - DONT BUY IT!!
Wont work. Flowmaster link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These cross flow mufflers are designed to sit left to right across the frame on the late model cars some mustangs and camero's porsh 911's etc. I did not realize this and had to return it.

This is the Borla- There are lots of different borlas out there I can't tell you all of the differences but I will say this. This one is made in the USA, for $139 bucks "Its like a sore D!**---- You can't beat it"!!! lol

Borla Turbo XL link muffler:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My truck sounds just like the one in post 1. Just make sure that you use 2.5" everywhere.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
Driver_WT

Thanks very much 65blackfleetside. I will be buying the Borla muffler in the link you provided. Greatly appreciated.

Wade
Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
b-mac

I've seen a few builds using the stock S10 tank, where they turn the mufflers verticle (as in 00) rather than flat. I can't find a good pic. Hopefully, you get the idea.

b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #16
65blackfleetside

Wow that S10 frame and exhaust looks perty!!!!

That looks like it has resonators or cats on it too?

I tried turning 2 rectangular flowmaster mufflers up on their sides but the S10 tank beside them was just cramping the area too much for me.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
I've seen a few builds using the stock S10 tank, where they turn the mufflers verticle (as in 00) rather than flat. I can't find a good pic. Hopefully, you get the idea.
Thanks. I did think about that, but if I can get a sound that I like and reasonable performance from the Borla 2 in 2 out, that will be fine with me. I am building this truck with the small Canadian dollars, so having to buy only one muffler will be welcome as well. Adding 55% on to all of the US prices plus much higher shipping costs to Canada takes the fun out it some days.