The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
wilkin250r

Gas tank vent line puking fuel

I have a 72 with two lines coming from the fuel tank, routed into the engine bay. One is routed to the fuel pump, the other is just hanging out with some sort of breather cap on it. I am assuming it is a fuel vent line (perhaps that assumption is my first mistake).

Problem is, if I fill up the fuel tank beyond about 3/4 full, fuel will begin to flow out of that vent line. Coincidentally, the end of this vent line is mounted at a height I'd assume to be right around 3/4 height of the tank. SO it would appear that as soon as the fuel rises above the end of this vent line, it becomes a drain.

I'm sure that's not normal. The knee-jerk reaction would be "just mount the breather end higher than the tank. Problem solved!" That's not a solution, that's a band-aid. I want to actually SOLVE the problem.

So educate me. Those that have vent lines on their tanks, where are they routed to? Or am I mistaken and this ISN'T a vent line at all? If it's not, then what the heck is it?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
sick472

Re: Gas tank vent line puking fuel

You should have three lines coming from the tank on a 72. One for feeding the fuel pump, one for return from the fuel pump, and the last one would originally be hooked to a charcoal canister under the hood which would be the vent.

3/8"=Supply,
5/16"=Vent,
1/4"=Return

This thread might help you out a little...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=662158

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20

Last edited by sick472; 01-18-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: adding info
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If the charcoal canister is no longer there cap that line at the tank, put a vented gas cap on it, and call it a day....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
wilkin250r

Maybe that's the answer, it's supposed to be the return line. But I don't have a return plumbed up, because it's not the original fuel pump (because it's not the original engine). My fuel pump doesn't HAVE a return. Just two connections, an inlet and an outlet.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
If the charcoal canister is no longer there cap that line at the tank, put a vented gas cap on it, and call it a day....

LockDoc
That's such an easy thing to say...

Im on my 4th cap in a month. I have a 70 with non vented tank. I get two results from them, either too much pressure in tank (that the cab smells like fuel and the gap about blows out of my hand when removing) or fuel spills all over side of truck when I make a hard right turn.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post

Im on my 4th cap in a month. I have a 70 with non vented tank. I get two results from them, either too much pressure in tank (that the cab smells like fuel and the gap about blows out of my hand when removing) or fuel spills all over side of truck when I make a hard right turn.

That's only because some of the new caps are really crappy. Obviously the non vented one is working good though..... What brand are you using. I have had pretty good luck with Stant caps. I have replaced the rubber seal and brass backing plate on a couple of originals with good luck.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Gas tank vent line puking fuel

You may want to consider a late model charcoal canister to hook to it and take care of the smell. They are cheap enough at the local yards and install it under the battery as factory out of sight. Are you could use the factory one if it's still there and go to Walmart in the fish area and buy a couple of bags of charcoal to rebuild it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
kenn

Hello, Obviously the return line to the tank is clear so if your using a mechanical pump you could change to one with a return connection.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:13 AM   #9
wilkin250r

Looks like it's time to pull the seat and get a really good look at things.

I definitely do NOT have a charcoal canister under my battery, nor do I have the lines running a high loop up the passenger side door frame. But I could probably fabricate them if they seem to work. It sounds like the vented gas caps can be slightly problematic with a full tank of gas.

Anybody have an original charcoal canister, can give me some direction (or pictures) for hose routing?

Last edited by wilkin250r; 01-20-2019 at 12:19 AM.
wilkin250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #10
wilkin250r

Well, the story I heard was that some 70-71s had vent lines, but all 72s had them. Either that is not the case, or this is not the original fuel tank because I do NOT have the vent line that runs up the passenger side frame rail.

I do have two lines on my sending unit. I believe the second one is a return line?

It looks like the plan is to cap that return line. Can somebody give me a link or part number to a vented gas cap?
Attached Images

Last edited by wilkin250r; 01-28-2019 at 07:51 PM.
wilkin250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:56 AM   #11
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post

Take the cap that only vents inwards and right in the center is a little hole, in there is a one way check valve, take a 1/8" drill bit and go through the motion to drill it out. You actually will spin it (not drill it) and destroy the one way action. When you can blow back through it your done.

Just did one 2 days ago
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
Well, the story I heard was that some 70-71s had vent lines, but all 72s had them. Either that is not the case, or this is not the original fuel tank because I do NOT have the vent line that runs up the passenger side frame rail.

I do have two lines on my sending unit. I believe the second one is a return line?

It looks like the plan is to cap that return line. Can somebody give me a link or part number to a vented gas cap?
See that dimple in the tank over on the passenger side? That is where the original fuel tank vent line would come out of and go up into the passenger side C-pillar, and back down the side of the tank. Look at my stock tank setup in my 1972 GMC C1500 in the linked post below.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...&postcount=313

I also have the return line capped off at the sending unit.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 PM   #13
wilkin250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
See that dimple in the tank over on the passenger side? That is where the original fuel tank vent line would come out of and go up into the passenger side C-pillar, and back down the side of the tank. Look at my stock tank setup in my 1972 GMC C1500 in the linked post below.
Yes. And if I were a brave man, I would pull the tank and drill a vent line.

But I'm not that brave.