The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Buddy's truck

This is a build that is being done because I have an abundance of parts. Let me give you the back story. I bought a plow truck to use around the house as a kinda beater and to plow the yard in the snow. It needed a lot of help and frankly the more I got into it I realized that it just wasn't worth having around. , so I began the search for a replacement. Before I got to that I was going to do a cab swap on it so I bought a beautiful cab from fellow board member AspecialZ. He also threw some extra fenders at me. So while hauling in a truck for another board member ( Scott H ) we went to go look at a guy selling some parts he had from his uncle or father in laws truck who was a guy named Buddy. We got to talking and I bought out his entire stock of stuff . This was a complete 74 rolling chassis with the entire driveline, 250 6 cyl motor, 3 speed standard tree shift , a replacement bed, a couple of boxes of parts , a great seat, and a good hood. Also included were some good LMC parts. Scott thought that a 4x4 truck I found on ebay looked good so I bought that too. Now I have three old trucks here ( four if you count my 82 longbed) and I decided to make a couple of good trucks . The entire plow set up off of my old plow truck is going on the beater I bought and a lot of other pieces are going to swap over to the shortbed that for now is being called Buddy's build Now for pics the first two pics show some of the parts I bought from the original buddys truck the last pic shows the cab in my shop ( along with my restored 82 longbed and the wifes 66 mustang and one of my harleys
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Buddy's truck

this shows pics of my rotten plow truck
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 10-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

just for laughs heres some pics of the replacement plow truck... Some people should not be legally allowed to own tools.. this guy told me that due to bad gas the truck needed a carbuerator.. and he had done a tune up on the truck. Further inspection revealed two wires wrong, the coil not screwed down in the cap and the idle kinda low.. In addition the exhaust he replaced he didn't tighten and the tailpipe spins .. I threw in some seafoam in the gas added $20 of super, put the proper hold downs on the dist cap coil and she runs great.. Also this idiot left the hubs locked so the front end noises he heard was just the hubs locked In the near future the electrics and all for the plow will be swapped from the black truck
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Now the plans for Buddy's truck are as follows. It is originally a green color with a green interior according to the build sheet I got with the parts. Because I am trying to do this on a budget Im thinking I have a gallon of Hot Rod Black so the truck itself will be that. I also have a quart of Farmall Red, so Im probably going to do a dual rallye racing stripe down the hood tailgate and roof.
Because the original plow truck is an automatic, I was thinking of converting Buddy's truck to an automatic. I would take the great running 350 out of the old plow truck and throw it in there, move all the pedals and column out of the 4x4 and use that for buddys I would pair it with a th 350 that I would have to purchase.
My buddy Scott just bought a 74 stepside project truck. He is not sure what he is doing with that or even if he wants to convert that to a wide side so I may do some horsetrading with him. In addition I was going to put some rallye wheels OR do a trade with Scott for some wagon wheels and in any event paint the rims farmall red
I will be doing most of the truck over the winter. The first goal is to get the chassis painted with POR15 and get the cab painted so that I can leave it outside for the winter without having the weather give me a bunch more rust
Im open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas as to directions to go with this one it is a budget build tho

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So I hauled the hood, fenders and the filler panel up to the body shop this week. Hes going to be closing his doors soon but he had some time to help me out so I went and did the body work on the fenders and got them in primer also scuffed down the hood.
Weather has been a real issue the last couple days I took some time to work on the cab a bit and I whizzy wheeled the front part of the chassis and threw some Por15 on that
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Greenlee

Cool project!

Is this one going to be a 4x4? You have so many trucks I'm getting confused.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

no this one is going to be a 4X2 . She is going to get the missing parts from the black 4x4 which is also the plow donor for the blue truck. The trans in the blue truck is on its way out so I decided to take the powertrain from the black one ( new trans and somewhat fresh rebuild on motor) and throw that into the blue one. I will be scrapping the shell of the black 4X4 eventually

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So today I got the bed pulled and dropped onto my utility trailer. I threw what was left of the Por15 onto the rear of the chassis and I got the cab mounted on the frame. I used polyurethane bushings on it from ebay, a kit from Energy Suspension. I then got the chassis and cab loaded onto the trailer so that tomorrow it can go to get a fast coat of paint
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 10-26-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So yesterday we loaded the truck onto the trailer and sent it off to my buddy Bob's shop. Bob has been the owner of Parlin Collision for about 20 years and unfortunately the shop is closing due to a breakdown of him and his partner. As bad as it is to see a good hop that does phenomenal; work go out of business I can at least have the honor of getting the last quick spray done at the shop. Heres some pics of the final filler work on the cab. This cab was purchased from member "AspecialZ"
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
rusty76

Killer man. I can't wait to see how all this pans out.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Its been a while since I updated this so here goes.. I got the truck back from paint and began assembly First I pulled apart the nose on the old plow truck and threw the radiator support on there. The good news was the passenger side inner fender was good the left one wasn't. Not to deter me from making progress and being this truck is basically left outside I decided to hang the left fender anyway so the backyard Nazis from the town couldn't say I was running a junkyard out of my house. I am in farm country and all but still when a town wants to make money they harass when they can ( a subject for a thread on another forum as we will not turn this into a political or anti government thread) so heres some pics
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

You will notice that I took the doors off of the newer plow truck and they were replaced with the doors from the donor truck. My son did this when I was out and frankly I wasn't wanting that but hey I have extra doors around so I was ok with that. Besides I have the extra good fender from the old plow truck that is going on the new plow truck and I will prolly paint that thing eventually in black again.
Just for fun I have the original sticker from the truck that I am doing this build on and it is as follows
Model cc10703
Killarney green
Fleetisde pickup box
Manual Disc/drum brake
Heavy duty clutch
cloth seat trim
Slate green Vinyl int
Heavy duty rear spring
L6 engine 250 CID
Painted rear bumper
My build is going to make this a stepside, only cause I just decided I have done and have owned many fleetsides and years ago I used to borrow a stepper from a friend and always liked that truck. My truck is going to be matte black with a red stripe and the interior is going to be black and red as well

So my buddy fromt he body shop came over and he swapped out the windshield from the rusty plow truck to the project and we threw in the old back glass from the fleetside show truck I own so now the cab is water tight
I found the wiring harness for the truck in the parts and threw that together.
Tkeduk8tr sold me a three speed column cheap so I threw that in and am now able to steer it and I put together some of the dash. The cap is just laying on it for show right now as I have a lot left to do in the dash.
I still have to convert the automatic cab to a standard. I am waiting for parts for the swap on that so I can get it to move, then I have to figure out the neural safety switch and all, and my big dilemma is the brakes. The truck was originally a manual brake truck, and I have the power booster assembly etc for the c20 plow truck. I am trying to find out if I can swap this all in easy or is it better to just wait to find the manual brake setup as that will ultimately be cheaper to do if I don't have to switch all the brakes etc
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #13
Stoney
Farm Truck

Dang your moving right along.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
rusty76

Truck is looking good.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I kinda forgot about this thread. Lots has progressed since the last update yet almost nothing has been done.
Earlier I spoke of how ScottH bought that 79 stepper and I hauled it home for him. Well he decided it was too much for him so my son bought it. He is not a stepside fan and we worked out a deal where Scott needed a good short wide bed so I sold him the bed from my project ( black bed) and he gave my son the white bed he had and then my son gave me the old stepper bed from his truck.
All winter the truck sat and nothing was done. We then had a couple of other things going on so it still sat. Finally today the truck had its hood opened. I have a kid with me working part time to fix some other cars and he expressed interest in getting this one fired up so today we decided to install the new fuel tank, added some water and dry cranked the motor a couple of times then we fired it up I was amazed how well she ran despite being parked for so long We also adjusted the clutch pedal some and discovered some electrical gremlins we need to chase down and the kid welded up the exhaust so now there is a muffler on it.
I guess ill be updating more frequently now cause evidently this thing is coming out of mothballs and we are going to get it running and driving in the next couple of weeks
If you go to my facebook page you can see the video of it running
https://www.facebook.com/robert.olso...=video_comment

I hate cancer!!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 AM   #16
ScottH

Glad to hear u got her running bob, congrats.
Will have to check it out next I stop by.
2008 Corvette convertible
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Well after getting it running I figure its probably a good idea to get it stopping brakes are not that over rated . When I bought it they clipped the lines between the master and the prop valve so first off as getting a master which is actually kinda hard as its manual brakes and the hardest to get but after a couple of orders the right one came and was installed. The lines to the back wheels looked bad or rusty so I bent new lines to the rear and the wheel cylinders and of course one bleeder screw popped so I threw new wheel cylinders on it. the shoes etc seemed in pretty good condition for an old truck so for now im leaving it got it all bled and installed so now we have brakes

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

another update.. This truck has sat around and all but in between we began working on it again. So the passenger door I had was aftermarket. I had a used OEM door that we swapped in that had a small amount or rust on the bottom which we finally got around to patching.
Shopping on Ebay got me a new stepside fender for the right side we decided not to touch the left one as it is like $300 for that one without the fuel hole and I didn't pay half that for the right one. Anywho we spent several weeks with two of my buddies here welding up holes on the old stepside steps and patching the bedside grinding and filling... we stripped down the doors and welded up the mirror holes and we also did a lot of filler work. Bob over at Parlin painted most of the old cab but the roof still needed work so we decided to go for broke and we sanded down the entire cab to metal and redid all the filler work besides after only one year the Kirker Hot Rod black was really looking dismal. So new filler evened out the roof and this is where I am at.
We are going to shoot a coat of clear over the hot rod black once we get done shooting the black (matte finish) and then we will reassemble.
right now she is all got the first coat of black these pics are from the weekend with the primer on her. Also I ordered the side marker lights and tailgate pieces to finish that too.. next step is to get the bed wood which we are going to make from hand using oak
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #19
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

some teaser shots of the black paint and a preview of my next project
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #20
Hankster

Nice! Seems like you got a project. I can't wait to paint mine.

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #21
ocejo

lots of work put in!!

whats the plans for the Monte?
ocejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #22
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

It is so hard to find good help. So the kid I hired to paint the truck stripped a lot of filler off the truck and started over got it all in primer then painted it. He talked me into doing a clear coat over the kirker hot rod black. So as above he got the truck in primer shot the truck in black and cleared some of the truck.. other parts needed another coat of black. So here I am at the beginning of Winter with this thing all apart.
This nimrod when he stripped my truck broke out some of the bolts so today I had another kid drilling out bolts that were left in the core support.
Mu goal now is to re assemble the truck and get it to the point where I can move it around the yard again, cover it for the winter then start again in spring

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocejo View Post
whats the plans for the Monte?
The monte is a kind of long story. I have a buddy who has two of these cars. The first one he got was a beige old mans car and over some time he did the motor up then some mild custom and finally paint and body work and the car looked bad ass... he met a woman who bought him the second car as a gift. that one was a 55K mile survivor car. Both of his cars were featured in the movie American Gangster and in the series Life on Mars. the one car was also a big part of the friend's wedding . Well as the car transformed I liked it more and more and it grew to be one of my favorites. A couple of my other buddies had the Grand Prix body style and I almost had a Cutlass version. A couple years ago my buddy was finally ready to part with the one that his wife bought him while they were dating and I agreed to buy it, until the wife asked he not sell it. Well this one popped up and it was a decent price with oot a whole ton of work so this car is going to be completely stripped down on the outside and repainted green like the original color. Im keeping the green as it has green interior so im going to keep the original inside. Im planning on making it a hardtop as opposed to what appears to have been a vynal roof car and im going to do mild custom convert to a edelbrock 1406 carb stainless exhaust just give it some testosterone. probably throw some rims on it too and make a cruise in car out of it.. some pics of my buddies car
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #24
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

so heres some pics of the half assed paint job that my alleged buddy did for me... I started reassembling it today more and some teaser shots of the wood for the bed
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #25
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

last of todays pics
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!