The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
67carry-all

Rear sway bar question

My stock-suspension 6-cyl '67 Suburban came, of course, without any sway bars and sways like a tree in the wind on curves and corners. I have a front sway bar from a wrecking yard pick-up that I plan to install. A local vendor will have a rear bar on sale this weekend. Anybody have thoughts or experience if there's any big pluses or minuses to having a rear bar in addition to the front?
67carry-all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
69nova

Re: Rear sway bar question

You didn't mention whether or not it was a 2 or 4wd. It will limit wheel travel if you have a 4wd and plan on doing any offroading. I have a 2wd that has been lowered and it made a world of difference. My truck already had front sway bar and rear factory load leveling shocks (air shocks). I ran separate individual lines to the shocks so the air doesn't shift from one shock to the other in a curve and added a swaybar to the rear and it handles like a very large sport truck. I recommend it if you like curves.
69nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
67carry-all

Ah, should have mentioned - it's a 2wd. I'll keep the stock height - I like the ground clearance for the occasional unpaved road and such. I also like the idea of the truck being able to handle the mountain curves to get to roads like that. Any significant decrease in ride quality when you added the rear bar?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

You can use a late (3rd/4th gen) camaro rear bar too. The only time if felt a difference in comfort was when taking driveways at an angle. Still not bad. Just felt like a sports car.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
capev86

definitely a good idea on a burb due to the extra body weight up high. a front bar should is a no brainer on any truck! just be sure the front bar is slightly larger diameter than the rear. i have the front and rear bar from CPP and just having the front one installed made a world of difference. you could get the 1-1/4 inch front bar from 73-87 dually or camper special. i hear it is compatable.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Frizzle Fry

Any 73-87 3/4 ton or 1 ton 2wd should have a 1.25" bar. That's where I got my front bar.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
67carry-all

Thank you all for the feedback and ideas. Went to the sale today, but way too much of a zoo there to buy anything. I'd rather spend the time I'd have had to wait looking around a boneyard for parts - looks like a visit is in order. Thanks again for the direction on this.