The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Questions about Quadrajet with integral choke spring

I have a Quadrajet M4ME carburetor from 1986 part number 17085226 on my 1969 CST/10 with 350 engine.

I was reading this article from Hemmings Muscle Machines June 2007 where it talks about adjustment of the choke. They say 2 notches rich is a good starting point.
Name:  hemmings.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  74.1 KB
online article https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mu...t/1466641.html

I see the index marks on the housing, but I don't see any sort of mark on the plastic cover that would line up with the index marks.

So, the question is 2 notches from where? Do I need to find some sort of starting point based on movement of the choke plate, and mark it myself on the plastic cover? What was the "proper" way to do this?

My Quadrajet before installation:
Name:  Qjet.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  34.4 KB

My Quadrajet a year later:
Name:  choke.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  32.2 KB

You can see after being on the truck a while, some surface rust is appearing on some parts such as linkages, fuel inlet, and choke screw plates. Is there something good to put on those few steel parts of the Quadrajet to get it looking good again and to keep it looking good?

I normally have the electric choke connected to 12V key-on power, just have it disconnected for the photo.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Questions about Quadrajet with integral choke spring

ttt
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

When I used a choke I remember just waiting until a cold morning then loosen the three screws and turn the housing until the choke is almost closed then tighten the screws. Give a couple pumps of the throttle peddle and fire it up, it should stay running on it's own. If not, adjust the fast idle cam a little. Drive it around until the temp gauge is moving up to it's normal position, blip the throttle and it should settle down to the regular idle speed. Pull over and see if the choke is fully open. Never paid any attention to marks. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You can get a plating kit to color the parts and protect them from rusting so quickly. Working longhorn got your question about the choke answered, except with the M4ME, you just slightly increase the speed, then let off to get the idle down...I'm pretty sure. The older ones, like on my '70, you can blip the throttle.

Plating kit:

https://www.caswellplating.com/elect...ting-kits.html

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
aerotest

In the picture you provded the choke is set near full rich. Swinging the terminal lads to the left will back it off. Where it sits now scribe a mark at the full left housing tick. That will pretty close.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
When I used a choke I remember just waiting until a cold morning then loosen the three screws and turn the housing until the choke is almost closed then tighten the screws. Give a couple pumps of the throttle peddle and fire it up, it should stay running on it's own. If not, adjust the fast idle cam a little. Drive it around until the temp gauge is moving up to it's normal position, blip the throttle and it should settle down to the regular idle speed. Pull over and see if the choke is fully open. Never paid any attention to marks. -BA
What I do.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
That's pretty much what I did as well too.

Didn't have any starting problems from 10 degrees F to about 90. Never saw any temps it didn't like.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote