The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #26
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: LS swap radiator, other than entropy and R&D

I haven't had any issues with the radiator at all. All aluminum and no plastic very nice unit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=681842

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #27
Willie Makeit

Re: LS swap radiator, other than entropy and R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post
Exactly what I used. Had Rad shop change upper hose diameter and add steam port. Works perfect. No need to get exotic
agreed. everyone is in a rush to buy an aluminum radiator and i'm not sure i understand why. copper is much better at heat transfer / thermal conductivity (by almost twice) versus aluminum and OEM style radiators are normally less expensive and require zero modifications to the truck. <shrug>
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #28
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
agreed. everyone is in a rush to buy an aluminum radiator and i'm not sure i understand why.
Depending on the year of the truck being swapped, many of us never had a radiator to start, and some of our recipients never had a rad capable of supporting 2 fans or trans coolers etc.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #29
Willie Makeit

what OEM-style radiator that has been produced in the past 60 years can't support 2 fans in a shroud or a tranny cooler?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #30
crakarjax

Quote:
agreed. everyone is in a rush to buy an aluminum radiator and i'm not sure i understand why. copper is much better at heat transfer / thermal conductivity (by almost twice) versus aluminum and OEM style radiators are normally less expensive and require zero modifications to the truck. <shrug>
Aluminum radiators cool better because the vanes can be shaped differently than copper, in a manner more efficient for heat transfer.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #31
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: LS swap radiator, other than entropy and R&D

Quote:
Your not looking at the right stuff then.

My truck ran a factory radiator for years. It ran at 190*-200* all the time.

I went to the aluminum radiator and it takes a lot of heat to get it up over 180*. That's running AC full blast.
Try and find a full metal replacement radiator with no plastic in it. I'll just about bet you can't find one NEW!
I'll also say a new aluminum one will cost less than a all copper new one also if you do find it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #32
Majourlittle

I bought the cheap aluminum radiator off of Ebay for the SBC and then bought some coolant hose adapters from a jaguar v8 swap site that fit the hose size I needed. cut off the old and welded on the new.

Cost me like $150 or so when it was done and has worked well enough. There was also a connection I used for steam that was already in the radiator.
Majourlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #33
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
what OEM-style radiator that has been produced in the past 60 years can't support 2 fans in a shroud or a tranny cooler?
Theres the thermal efficiency which is its own argument. I'll instead address all the other stuff.

Plenty of vehicles don't have fluid passages for a trans cooler. Some was an option, others were HD use only...and plenty had M/T. If you want to run without a dedicated trans cooler, you'll want a place for it in the rad.

The AD and earlier rad's would be too small for most of the cheaper large diameter electric fans, so to run 2 fans, your going to the smaller units (they still work, but not everyone wants to spend the extra $ for that, just to retain an old rad style, if they have to buy a radiator anyway. )

I'll be vain and add that copper is kinda ugly under the hood if the style doesn't fit the look of the truck/engine.
Aluminum is also strong, light, and easy to repair (more guys know a TIG welder than they do guys with brazing skills)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #34
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Theres the thermal efficiency which is its own argument. I'll instead address all the other stuff.
what argument? basic physics state that copper has better thermal conductivity properties than aluminum. there is no argument. it's fact.

now, if you want to talk weight savings (since thats what spawned the advent of aluminum radiators in the motorsports circles) then you have a valid argument.

Quote:
Plenty of vehicles don't have fluid passages for a trans cooler. Some was an option, others were HD use only...and plenty had M/T. If you want to run without a dedicated trans cooler, you'll want a place for it in the rad.
if you are buying a new radiator, then there are offerings for AT coolant systems available pretty much for any water-cooled car ever made.

Quote:
The AD and earlier rad's would be too small for most of the cheaper large diameter electric fans, so to run 2 fans, your going to the smaller units (they still work, but not everyone wants to spend the extra $ for that, just to retain an old rad style, if they have to buy a radiator anyway. )
anyone running a single fan is leaving cooling capacity on the table anyway and should re-think their cooling system.

Quote:
I'll be vain and add that copper is kinda ugly under the hood if the style doesn't fit the look of the truck/engine.
Aluminum is also strong, light, and easy to repair (more guys know a TIG welder than they do guys with brazing skills)
I'll be vain and add that cheap Chinese aluminum radiators with sub-par weld beads is kinda ugly under the hood if the style doesn't fit the look/period of the truck/engine. Personal opinion. Not gonna debate opinion, its irrelevant.

anywhoo, i notice a trend in this thread: the only guys that are pro-cheap chinese aluminum radiators are the guys who have already bought them.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #35
Andy4639
Old member

Cheap yes, but over 3 years in use 2 power tour over 3500 miles each in 7 days and not one problem. The copper is fine if that's what you want. But todays world the aluminum will cool better per the way they are designed.

Yes I have already bought mine but I also had my truck 31 years and ran the lesser copper one for the most part of those years in fact I have 2 of them in my building that I took out because they are crap the last one had plastic tanks lasted about 3 years of everyday driving. Cheap crap is out there no matter where it's made.
I'm just stating facts about mine. Ugly under the hood is opinions as said above. I like the aluminum one I have. It works great it was cheap enough and everyone likes a good product for a good price and that's what I have. There is no doubt there are cheap ones out there but do your home work before you buy.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #36
crakarjax

Quote:
anywhoo, i notice a trend in this thread: the only guys that are pro-cheap chinese aluminum radiators are the guys who have already bought them.
I don't have an aluminum radiator. The thermal efficiency of aluminum is less but the material is stronger, allowing the vanes to be shaped more efficiently for heat transfer which results in better cooling.

Andy, be careful running at temps lower than stock. You want your engine to get hot enough to boil off condensation and other water/stuff that's gotten into the oil.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #37
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
I don't have an aluminum radiator. The thermal efficiency of aluminum is less but the material is stronger, allowing the vanes to be shaped more efficiently for heat transfer which results in better cooling.

Andy, be careful running at temps lower than stock. You want your engine to get hot enough to boil off condensation and other water/stuff that's gotten into the oil.
Truck runs anywhere from 180-200 depending on the outside weather and traffic. It hasn't had any problems up until this past week the water pummp crapped out on it. Got new one and new thermastat along with a new steam port connection on the heater hose so I don't have to drill and tap the water pump no more.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #38
AustinBelair

Any other options?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #39
AustinBelair

Looking at this but not sure if it will fit in the 66

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_detai...t&model=Impala
Old 05-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #40
Sturvin

Just ordered this for my 69.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-8-70013-ls

We'll see how it goes.

Also, for what its worth:
While copper is more conductive that aluminum, no doubt about that, the soldered joints between the copper fins and tubes are much less conductive than the welded connection between the aluminum fins and tubes.
Sturvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #41
AustinBelair

Bump
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #42
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBelair View Post
Any other options?
Quote:
Looking at this but not sure if it will fit in the 66

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_detai...t&model=Impala
Quote:
Bump
It looks like a stock radiator for a '66 is just over $200 bucks shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/APDI-Radiator...s=APDI+8010284

It'll cool an "LS" engine just fine and it'll bolt right in. It'll also save you a few bucks to spend elsewhere as these swaps are expensive enough already.

If you prefer the looks or performance of a particular custom radiator, by all means, buy it. But it's not "necessary".
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #43
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post

It'll cool an "LS" engine just fine and it'll bolt right in. It'll also save you a few bucks to spend elsewhere as these swaps are expensive enough already.

If you prefer the looks or performance of a particular custom radiator, by all means, buy it. But it's not "necessary".
OR, if one just simply can't live without an aluminum unit, here's one for less than $150

https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Alu...X8MYDRBNTQDKPN
Old 05-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #44
AustinBelair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post

Mostly concerned about the size fitment. Truck is taken apart for paint so I'm not sure. I'm looking for one with inlet/outlet that matches the LS size, want a steam port and prefer aluminum
Old 05-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #45
davepl

Quote:
Because two thick aluminum cores will cool much better than 4 copper cores. A 2-fat-core copper would cool even better, though. Basically you'd want a modern design with an old school implementation if you could find it. Copper conducts better but aluminum is stronger so the cores can be thinner and transfer as much/more heat, depending on who you ask.

The factory four core in my truck will NOT sufficiently cool my big block with the AC on if it's a hot day.

The aluminum two-tube with dual SPAL fans in my Camaro WILL sufficiently cool a big block all day long. Fans don't even come on until you're stopped at a light.

That's all I know. Just experience, no theory.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #46
jweb

I just installed a radiator in my '51 made by Superior Radiator. It fits great and I will be buying from them again for my '64 Suburban
http://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/1...7_chevy_trucks
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 AM   #47
SierraMtns

Bump....

I am still on the hunt. Went through 3 rads so far...lol. Still having clearance issues. Tomorrow will be number 4. I think that one will fit. hehe cross our fingers.
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #48
verdell

I'd avoid the Griffin. Mine literally started separating after a little over two years. Looking at the Be Cool Bone Yard Series or Northern but for now I'm running the old Speedway or Summit aluminum radiator from my smallblock.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #49
boynton

I’ve got 4 years and over 10,000 miles on my speedway radiator here in Texas where I drive it all the time. This is for my LS swapped truck and I have no issues. I am building a LS swapped K5 right now and will be putting in a similar radiator for it. You really can’t beat the speedway/summit/jegs branded radiators for the price and quality.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #50
Daryl87

Just ordered this from AutoCity on eBay:

1967-1979 Chevrolet GMC C-10 Pickup LS Motor Swap Radiator Shroud & 2 12" Fans
Item number 352233489480

I will provide feedback once it's in and running. Had good reviews from the sellers.
Daryl87 is offline   Reply With Quote