The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
Jered1987

Np203 rebuild?

Im wondering about a np203 rebuild, is it possible to rebuild at home or is it way
Beyond my realm of handy work? I doubt it had had the "kit" put in it either so i fugure its a good excuse. Im trying to work my way through the truck fixing all the mechanicals that have been neglected or never fixed right.
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Np203 rebuild?

Well, it really depends on a few things. You can do it, no doubt. I just had my 205 rebuilt. I farmed it out. $225 labor. That was good money spent for me. I had the 205 and 465 rebuilt at the same time. $450 labor for both. $850 rebuild for both the trans and transfer. I used the weekend it was at the gear shop to drop my pan, replace the seal and gasket, and put in the clutch. Picked up the boxes during the week and installed the next weekend. For me juggling my options of limited time and where to spend my bucks.

Here is what I will tell you if you farm it out. Call at least five shops around you. Chat it up. When you find someone that really digs on the old stuff you found your man. This person can do it in his sleep for a fair prices. I had a gut fear some of these guys were just going to take my box, core it and mark up from a mass reman operation. Probably nothing wrong with those boxes, but the idea just bugged me. I almost drove out to Anaheim Gear, but I decided to dig up someone local. I used a person I never met before and really liked the shop.

j
Old 11-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
cadillac_al

Why rebuild it? They last forever. Mine has 190k on it and doesn't make a sound and works perfect. I beat on one pretty hard in my mud bog champ and the only thing that ever happened was the chain got loose and jumped when it was stuck hard. That could have been due to mileage more than the rough use. Even when the chain gets loose it will work fine for many miles before anything happens to it.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Jered1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Why rebuild it? They last forever. Mine has 190k on it and doesn't make a sound and works perfect. I beat on one pretty hard in my mud bog champ and the only thing that ever happened was the chain got loose and jumped when it was stuck hard. That could have been due to mileage more than the rough use. Even when the chain gets loose it will work fine for many miles before anything happens to it.
The body on the truck is redone but the mechanicals were skipped when it was done
So im wanting to go through it since this will be my truck for my life. I dont want anything new i like how the old trucks are.
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
franken

A new chain and some seals will probably make it good as new. That said, the 203 is huge and weighs 4000lb so plan on a pain in the butt.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote