The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
ERASER5

Re: Headliner with built in speakers

Pull a wire up the A pillar, use the visor hole just to get the wire up. Drill a hole where you want the wire to come out and fish it from the visor hole.

Some other things to consider. Only run the wire in the forward edge of the cab, all the way across is still good.. There is some kind of obstruction going front to back. Any area where cab lights would be mounted is good. There is room for more than 1 wire, for other stuff like cab lights, radio, powered rear view mirror.

Look up Texasfirefighter. He posted a vid showing how to blow a string up the A pillar and out the visor hole with a blow gun in less than 5 seconds. Seriously.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
Curt's_72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496bb View Post
Hey I'm curious how you run the wires so they are all hidden? Considering this option myself- and also considered cab lights, but my truck has no headliner and I'm wondering how those would be retro-fitted.
I used a step drillbit in the passenger B pillar. Above where the Highliner fit so the hole would be covered. I chose that side because of the dome/cargo light harness was on the drivers side. Worked out great. I should have captured pictures of that part on my build thread, but I didn't.

I can only imagine that accessing the cab light harness would be a total PITA. Good luck with that one.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=494493
Curt's_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
jdalexa84

I know that I am reviving a old thread but how did it sound? Would you recommend it. i have been considering it for the modern stereo install
jdalexa84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #29
ForrestHead

Soo now that you've had it a few years what are your thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?
ForrestHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #30
z10kl

Well it's an old thread but someone commented last fall. I have one of these in a truck I bought 10 years ago. It is fine and doesn't rattle. I am going to take mine out and put the interior back to original. Sound quality would be dependent on the radio and speakers but the highliner is a good piece.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #31
lsversaw

Can anybody else comment on how this setup sounds? Some here might say that you can't get a good "stereo image" with overhead/behind speakers like that, but what really matters is how it sounds to you.

The Highliner looks good, avoids cutting holes, and keeps the equipment out of harm's way. And each person gets equidistant left and right stereo speakers, which cannot be accomplished with any other speaker mounting. There's a lot to like about it.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #32
88Stanger

i installed this headliner. it is a two person job, but as another said, not heavy just awkward. The speakers that come with it, toss them, horrible, but install a good set as another on here did, then they are good.
I ran my wires up the side and through the dome light. Also, i installed a retro sound stereo in normal spot and the spot for the stereo in the headliner i used this spot to install 3 gauges instead. all in all, i like it.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #33
tech54K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
I have the set up in my rhino.....

I put an old (exspensive) Sony hu in it and the dust killed the cd player within the first day.

Ditched that and now run the ipod controller directly to a 400w 4 channel amp powering 4 polk momo 6.5 components in pods and bridged the last 2 channels to a kicker 10 thats under the seat.

Loud and gets the party started while were camping...lol
sounds like a lot of fun
tech54K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:11 PM   #34
Dr.redneck99

How big is the space where you put your radio?
The width, length, and depth. I'm wanting to put a CB radio and some toggle switches over head and I figured this would be the most efficient way.
Dr.redneck99 is offline   Reply With Quote