The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #26
MARTINSR

Re: 1947 Chevrolet 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS1947/5W/1/2T View Post
I am going to check that out soon.. Not sure what to look for and where exactly but this single shackle assembly I should be able to find it behind the seat ??
47' was the only year that had the single shackle?
Thanks
Pete
No, look under the cab right inside of the running boards at the rear of the cab to see how it's mounted to the frame.

The look like this.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
MARTINSR

This is what it will look like under the cab.

Brian

Old 12-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
MARTINSR

I couldn't find a picture of the inside of what your cab should should look like but the back corners under the windows should have a metal cover with a big oval hole in it, not like this without anything where you can see the inside of the outer sheetmetal.

Brian

Old 12-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #29
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
In my opinion, first off, we are all different. I can't say this enough, we are all different and we have different needs. I am talking personally here, ME personally, I loath the idea. I don't see a vintage truck anymore when it's done. In my opinion it's not a 1950 Chevy pickup with an S-10 Frame under it, it's a 1990 S-10 with a customized body to look like a 1950 Chevy pickup.

I just hate to see it because sooooooo often it's done by people who don't know that they could be driving the stock truck or a modified stock frame just fine, they don't need anything more, it's not a big deal to drive the stock truck with the drum brakes and all every day, it's soooooooooo over thought. "Can't drive with drum brakes on the modern highway" I want to SCREAM.....as I drive my stone stock 1959 Rambler every single day.

Sorry original poster, back to the cool new truck you bought.

Brian

whats the top speed of your rambler?

drum brakes stop things extremely well, but will fade with repeated high speed uses. you also have to apply more pedal pressure than a disc setup, for people who are used to modern brakes (modern in this case being the last 50 years of at least front disc brakes) driving a non power drum setup requires a lot of acclimation and more planning in traffic. driving a power disc setup doesnt have a learning curve to it at all.

In my opinion the reason to choose any IFS clip over straight axle is almost always ride height. most will want to lower their custom 47-55, and with a straight axle, even a drop axle, you cant get as low without IFS, the beam of the straight axle will be the lowest part of the truck, even with airbags, the relationship of the axle to the ground will never change no matter the ride height of the body. there are weld on and even bolt on IFS options, but given the choice between driving next to a truck with a weld on/bolt on clip or next to a complete S10 frame truck with weld on body mounts, I will take the s10 frame every time.

we are all different, especially in that I wont ever say I hate a particular modification. do whatever you enjoy. I see the practicality of upgrading all the systems at the same time, rather than a piece at a time, but that doesnt mean it is better. traditional hot rodding was always about using what was inexpensive and readily available. There will also always be guys who will use an outhouse and read by candlelight because it still works and so they can be nostalgic about the good old days, even though there are modern alternatives.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #30
MARTINSR

No, I hate it. I can say that, really, I hate it. I am not going to make a law stopping anyone else from doing it, but I can hate it.

My Rambler has a top speed of about 65. The brakes were awesome, I mean amazing! Do they fade, yep they would if I drove it off the top of a mountain. I know this because my 65 Buicks brakes faded horribly when I drove down a large hill for miles. Oh yeah, they aren't for everyone. That is why I said we all have different needs. There are people who really really SHOULD put discs and or independent fronts on their truck. But the frame swap is sooooooo over done it's crazy, oh, and I hate it.

I have to say, what I really hate isn't so much the mod, because as you said "do what you enjoy" that's all good. What I hate is that sooooo many swaps are being done because the guy is mislead. He really thinks it MUST be done, well it doesn't. Just a few mods, just a few and I can drive across the country with any frame swapped truck, there is no difference at all other than the massive amount of work needed to swap the frame! I have talked a number of people out of it, that is my mission in life, that and don't get married unless you KNOW it is you and your ladies destiny. Don't "try" marriage, it isn't a pair of shoes.

Oh, and try every food there is, food is one of our greatest blessings, we use all our senses when we eat. I am going out for a Turkish meal today for my birthday, damn am I looking forward to that!

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 12-27-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #31
MARTINSR

It's funny how different cars can be. On the peddle pressure, OMG my Rambler stops so damn fast it's crazy! I have had a few panic stops and was blown away at how well they worked, disc brake like, I am not kidding you! My son's daily driver, a 63 Ford Falcon, that is a different story, the stock brakes suck! I plan on helping him putting some discs on that car!

And honestly it's more about driving style than the car. I spent a bunch of time studying "hypermiling" for saving fuel, I then studied travel time and what a difference it makes if you drive fast and hard using those modern brakes and I found that we drive that way because all the cars around us are, we drive like fools BECAUSE cars drive so much better today than years ago. It has transformed the average driver into a very bad driver pushing the limits. I began driving leaving more room and avoiding putting my foot on the brake as this costs you fuel, and putting your foot on the gas peddle because that costs you fuel too! I was driving a very well handling fast and amazing braking car at the time (Ford SHO) and found that driving more conservatively got me there just as fast! I proved this with study. I drive cars today from $150K 400hp Mercedes to my 90hp Rambler in the same way! Unless I am going to be having fun out on a windy road with my Gran Sport (set up with discs, swaybars, urethane bushing, quick ratio box, etc.), then I am having fun. But to drive that Gran Sport across town or down the highway, I drive it the same as I do my Rambler.

The body shop were I work does about 3.5 million dollars in sales with a lot full of modern cars with abs brakes. People have adjusted themselves to driving to leave such a small amount of room. They honestly are rear ending cars as much as they did in 1960!

Brian

Old 12-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #32
PS1947/5W/1/2T

Quote:
I couldn't find a picture of the inside of what your cab should should look like but the back corners under the windows should have a metal cover with a big oval hole in it, not like this without anything where you can see the inside of the outer sheetmetal.

Brian

Ok, So that is good sign, corners are covered with sheet metal ,,plate'' with oval hole in them !! super happy
I won't be able to see the the shackles under the cab today. i will check that soon.
PS1947/5W/1/2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #33
PS1947/5W/1/2T

Quote:

Brian

Thank you for all the Info Brian!
Pete
Old 12-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #34
MARTINSR

No problem Pete. I wish I had that cab, my truck is a 48 but the cab has been changed twice. So it's a later cab now. I guess it doesn't matter much being it's so highly modified anyway.

Brian

Old 12-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #35
ADchevys

The 47 cabs are stamped different aoround the steering column.
ADchevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #36
ADchevys

Scroll down to post 64 in this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=481342&page=3 It will show you what it looks like around the steering colum.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #37
PS1947/5W/1/2T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADchevys View Post
The 47 cabs are stamped different aoround the steering column.
Hey, Thanks, There is no Difference between GMC and Chevrolet Cabs in the same year, are they identical?

Pete
Old 12-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #38
PS1947/5W/1/2T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Yes its stock.
Question for you. This grasshopper looking thing mounted to the frame is what? is it some kind of shock absorber suspension piece and is it original to the frame? looks like directly underneath of it is piece of metal with hole ( maybe that is where is supposed to be mounted?)
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #39
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Those are the shock absorbers back then the tube shock was used.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #40
ADchevys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS1947/5W/1/2T View Post
Hey, Thanks, There is no Difference between GMC and Chevrolet Cabs in the same year, are they identical?

Pete
The cabs are the same.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #41
MARTINSR

Yes, those are Lever shocks which were used on these trucks through 1949, then in the 1950 model year they were replaced with modern tube shocks.

Brian