The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2017, 01:21 AM   #1
Chrispbrown36

Fuel filler hose questions

The filler hose on my 87 V10 has been leaking for a while but has gotten to the point that it has to be replaced. I am a little confused by the parts listed on LMC's site. Mine is the fuel filler hole/pipe, then a ruber hose, then another section of pipe, then a hose that attaches to the tank. The LMC parts diagram only shows the fill hole/pipe and then a hose that I assume goes all the way to the tank though it does not indicate that. Is this hose meant to replace everything from the filler hole to the tank or am I missing something?
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Fuel filler hose questions

My fill hose was all one piece from fill to tank..if you've got just one section of hose leaking, most parts stores carry fill hose
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 View Post
I am a little confused by the parts listed on LMC's site. Mine is the fuel filler hole/pipe, then a ruber hose, then another section of pipe, then a hose that attaches to the tank.
Does your truck happen to be a longbed with a 16 gallon tanks?

Most longbed trucks came with 20 gallon tanks, but I have seen some (mostly in the mid/later 80's) that were factory equipped with 16 gallon tanks. On those applications, GM used a metal extension pipe in the fuel filler plumbing that sounds exactly like what you are describing.

It's been a while since I've seen one of those in person, but I think the molded rubber hose that connects the filler pipe to the extension pipe is the same hose that would go from the filler pipe directly to a 20 gal tank. And if the other section of hose that goes from the extension pipe to the tank is straight (not molded), you can buy fuel filler hose (in the necessary length) at most auto parts stores.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Mattchu60

I have the exact same setup on my 87 - short hose, then metal pipe, then a 2nd short hose. Classic Parts has the short hose section I found which connects the metal pipe to the fuel filler, but the rubber hose from the pipe to tank - that one is weird, its got a molded "kink" in it which I cannot fine anywhere. I am going to just reuse that piece.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
cpayne5

Pretty sure my 87 has the setup described here, but it's been a while since I've fooled with it to know for sure (and I'm 1k miles away from it at the moment, too...). I do know that what my truck has is not what's pictured in the LMC catalogs (and they thought I was crazy the day I called to clarify what they sold and what I had...).

At one time, I found GM part numbers for the whole setup and found some NOS on eBay, but that was a few years ago.

Good info, Ray, on the 16 vs 20 gallon tanks.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
Chrispbrown36

Ray McAvoy you are correct....mine is a long bed with dual 16 gallon tanks. I broke down and ordered the LMC rubber hose, but it is sounding like I am going to be a bit short.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
cpayne5

Post some pics of what you get. I need to figure out a solution to this, too.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
Chrispbrown36

Well, I finally got the part from LMC and it is definitely not long enough to work for me. I haven't had a chance to mess around with it but it is about 8 inches long. I think I am going to try cutting down the metal pipe that is leaking and clamping this short hose on it. That is assuming that the existing pipe isn't rusted out too far down. For some reason Photobucket isn't letting me upload any pictures so as soon as it lets me I will post a picture.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
cpayne5

Thanks for the update.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #10
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 View Post
Well, I finally got the part from LMC and it is definitely not long enough to work for me. I haven't had a chance to mess around with it but it is about 8 inches long. I think I am going to try cutting down the metal pipe that is leaking and clamping this short hose on it. That is assuming that the existing pipe isn't rusted out too far down. For some reason Photobucket isn't letting me upload any pictures so as soon as it lets me I will post a picture.
Do yourself a favor and dump Photobucket.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Chrispbrown36

I rarely use it so it has never been an issue.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
KrazyRay

Have you thought about upgrading to a 20 gallon tank? This would solve the problem, give you 4 more gallons of capacity, and your original tank is probably rusty from the plastic shroud anyway. Just my 2 cents worth...
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #13
Chrispbrown36

The plastic shroud was removed before I bought it. The tank is in pretty good shape. I dropped it back in Oct. of last year to replace the fuel pump. I would love to replace it with a 20 gallon, but before that happens I need to replace the passenger side tank that I removed when I first bought it.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #14
Chrispbrown36