The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2023, 09:37 AM   #1
Snarf

'69 C10 brake booster question.

So my '69 c10 is a base truck. Manual everything. 250 3 on the tree. Well my local bone yard got in a '72 c20 that has power brakes. I was planning on running over there and grab that booster assembly for my '69 to upgrade to power brakes. But I'm looking at my truck, and notice that I'm about 90.6% sure that my current air filter assembly will not work with a power brake booster hanging on the firewall. I really wanted to keep this truck stockish and upgrade with factory parts if possible. Anyone running the 250 with power brakes? Are you using this factory air cleaner assembly? Thank you.
Attached Images

Snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:29 AM   #2
Yamariv

Re: '69 C10 brake booster question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
So my '69 c10 is a base truck. Manual everything. 250 3 on the tree. Well my local bone yard got in a '72 c20 that has power brakes. I was planning on running over there and grab that booster assembly for my '69 to upgrade to power brakes. But I'm looking at my truck, and notice that I'm about 90.6% sure that my current air filter assembly will not work with a power brake booster hanging on the firewall. I really wanted to keep this truck stockish and upgrade with factory parts if possible. Anyone running the 250 with power brakes? Are you using this factory air cleaner assembly? Thank you.
You'll probably need an off set air cleaner like this. I have an 11 inch booster on the way so I can't guarantee it will fit on mine but it looks like it should.
Attached Images

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
Jason Banks

I thought I had better pictures, but you can see it ok in this one. Previous owner did exactly what you describe, 3/4 ton booster and master. To clear the booster, they cut some of the air cleaner away for clearance. It's almost like they cut a part off and flipped it convex and welded it back in. Or maybe it was a different piece of metal....

Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:11 PM   #4
Snarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
You'll probably need an off set air cleaner like this. I have an 11 inch booster on the way so I can't guarantee it will fit on mine but it looks like it should.
I see. Actually that c20 in the yard has a 292, so it has that offset air filter. So maybe I'll just grab that too....
Old 05-01-2023, 07:12 PM   #5
Snarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I thought I had better pictures, but you can see it ok in this one. Previous owner did exactly what you describe, 3/4 ton booster and master. To clear the booster, they cut some of the air cleaner away for clearance. It's almost like they cut a part off and flipped it convex and welded it back in. Or maybe it was a different piece of metal....

Wow, that's one way to do it. I would have not even thought to do that.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #6
Snarf

I wonder if one of those small aftermarket boosters that some guys are running now would clear... ? What are those, 8" boosters.... ?
Old 05-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #7
Jason Banks

I have the 8 inch dual diaphragm on the truck now. I'll see if I can find a pic. I think it will clear...
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote