The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2022, 01:17 AM   #1
jnavar

1969 gmc

Just purchased this truck
This is my first vehicle with drum brakes all around. Is it normal for it to take 4-5 car lengths to slow down? I am also a shorter guy so would like to know if its possible to make the clutch a shorter distance (instead if having to press it down to the floor board) to fully disengage the clutch?
Attached Images

jnavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 1969 gmc

Welcome to the board! Nice looking GMC. Is it an 8-lug 4wd (K2500)? It's hard to reply to what you are describing, but you will definitely notice the brakes don't grab like disc brakes. What do you mean by slow down? Slow down at all or slow down significantly? I've always driven these trucks, both drum and disc, and used to not even notice a difference. I'm sure there is a decent difference, but I never paid much attention to it. I haven't had one with drum brakes for a very long time. I guess it matters all the more these days with other vehicles able to stop much shorter than years past, as well as the knucklehead way people drive ahead of their thoughts these days. You really need to be on your toes.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
jmlloar

The only difference I could ever tell was between power and manual. And even with disk the manual brakes sucked.
jmlloar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
Ol' Drippy

Having all four drums properly adjusted is really important. You want it so that they drag just a little when the wheels are turning.
Ol' Drippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
Caddylackn

All 4 drum brakes should have close to the same stopping distance as disc/drums. The big difference between disc and drums is the amount of pedal force required and an increased stopping distance when the drums are wet or very hot (long steep grades). If everything is working correctly, you should not see a decrease in stopping ability in normal conditions.

What commonly happens is old cars that have been sitting awhile with moisture in the brake fluid and both pistons of each wheel cylinder are not moving (one gets frozen) so only one brake shoe is moving and not both. Pretty soon the one shoe starts to wear very quickly and there isn't enough travel left in the linkage to take up for the worn brake shoe. Or the drums have been turned too many times and there isn't enough travel in the brake linkage to engage the drums when the shoes are half worn.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #6
jnavar

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Welcome to the board! Nice looking GMC. Is it an 8-lug 4wd (K2500)?.... I guess it matters all the more these days with other vehicles able to stop much shorter than years past, as well as the knucklehead way people drive ahead of their thoughts these days. You really need to be on your toes.
Yes she is an 8 lug 4x4... So far I am pretty happy with her, but people out here seem to drive as if someone is chasing them, thus brakes are a high priority. When pressing the brakes it takes about 4-5 car lengths to slow down.. If someone jumps in front of me atm I would more than likely not be able to stop.. The PO(my uncle) assumed it was normal behavior, but it doesn't seem quite right to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
All 4 drum brakes should have close to the same stopping distance as disc/drums. The big difference between disc and drums is the amount of pedal force required and an increased stopping distance when the drums are wet or very hot (long steep grades). If everything is working correctly, you should not see a decrease in stopping ability in normal conditions.

What commonly happens is old cars that have been sitting awhile with moisture in the brake fluid and both pistons of each wheel cylinder are not moving (one gets frozen) so only one brake shoe is moving and not both. Pretty soon the one shoe starts to wear very quickly and there isn't enough travel left in the linkage to take up for the worn brake shoe. Or the drums have been turned too many times and there isn't enough travel in the brake linkage to engage the drums when the shoes are half worn.
Thank you for this.. It does seem as if pistons are frozen.. Is there a way to unfreeze them or am I better off purchasing new ones?
Old 03-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #7
jmlloar

new wheel cyl and hardware kits are reasonable.
If I don't know when they were last serviced I just replace it all. Shoes can actually harden up and be less effective.

Don't scrimp on safety. Its to late after an accident to say "maybe I should have repaced that".
jmlloar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

I would pull each drum off and inspect the brakes. You may have more than one issue.

Look for anything broken or bent, uneven wear on the shoes, oil on the shoes, glazed drums, grooved drums, drums that are exceeded the stated wear diameter or rusted drums. You should be able to move the slave cylinder pistons into the cylinder slightly by prying with a screwdriver to check for a frozen piston.

It may be that new shoes and having the drums turned followed by a proper bedding in of the new shoes may solve your issue.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

When I rebuilt the '70 C/30 I used for my business I never considered converting to discs like you see people do today. I located all new parts and rebuilt the whole system. This was a 157" wheelbase truck with an 11' service body with 15' ladder racks, always loaded up, too. That thing stopped just fine. I went all out because I was building a daily work truck rather than buy new. You could get the same results without going to that extent. Drum brakes are very serviceable.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:20 PM   #10
jnavar

Thank you to everyone! I ordered all new wheel cylinders and brake pads..hopefully I can get those in working order soon... Also has anyone seen this before? It isn't a twin stick since the lever to the left of the gears is not attached to the transfer case.. The lever is attached to something in front of the sm465..
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2022, 09:51 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Need pics, but maybe a PTO lever?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote