The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
gag1025

IFS Question

I have a 1953 Chevy 3100 truck and want to swap out the stock front suspension. I have been doing a lot of research on which is the better system to use. There are a lot of Mustang II IFS systems available. I want to keep it an all Chevy truck without any Ford parts on it. If I had a Ford I would want it to be all Ford. I also want a bolt on system. What are the best non MII bolt on systems available?
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: FSI Question

There are only two bolt on systems as far as I know. Personally I like the one with the adjustable spring hats simply because you or your front end man can get the front end perfectly level from side to side after it is all assembled and running.

With the aftermarket units there are virtually no actual Ford parts involved if you run the tube A arms.

The bolt on is great if you don't have access to a welder because anyone with a tape measure, half inch drill and a hand full of wrenches can install one in a day start to finish most of the time.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
_Ogre

those mustII x-members are ford in geometry only.
most have all new non ford stuff in them.

realistically, no after market part is gm/chevy any way...
my truk has a little ford, a little mopar, a touch of nissan, a smattering of aftermarket and a whole lot of chevy in it.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Root2812

I share your feelings about keeping it all GM. I hate the idea of having a ford engine in a GM or vice versa. But then again I also don't like S10 swaps because I feel its only an s10 with an old body and not a true old truck. Everyone has their own unique opinions.

With that said I am also thinking about using the mustang II kit. Its not a ford part its just an aftermarket part designed after the successes of the MII set up. You can even buy the kits with a GM bolt pattern so even your wheels can be GM. Thats what I'll be doing. (A modified stock frame seems more true than a swap in my opinion. so S10 guys don't hate too much)

However, there have been a few guys using C4 corvette IFS on their AD trucks.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
gag1025

What is the diffference between the MII kits and the FIS system at the TCI site.

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf...Custom_IFS.pdf

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf...ruck_Parts.pdf
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
_Ogre

it's ifs - independent front suspension.

they are both mustII one is coil spring, one is coil over shock.
same geometry, same arms, same racks.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
gag1025

So I can't type. I noticed after I had submitted it that I had miss-typed it but don't know how to edit the title or a message after it has been answered. Actually they both have coil over shocks. The more expensive one appears to me to be constructed differently with a different design.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
Atomsplitter

The cheap (Economy) IFS's use the original F@$D narrow A-arms and strut rods like mine.
The better one has a full width lower a-arm, mostly they are tubular upper and lower but well worth the extra money.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
gag1025

So Atomsplitter which one did you use and which one would you use if you were me? I am told that Chassis Engineering makes good products but when I looked on their site all I saw wa the Pinto IFS systems and from what I have read they are not the same as the MII systems.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag1025 View Post
So I can't type. I noticed after I had submitted it that I had miss-typed it but don't know how to edit the title or a message after it has been answered. Actually they both have coil over shocks. The more expensive one appears to me to be constructed differently with a different design.
LOL I do that all the time there is an edit button down by the quote button.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
gag1025

So, how do I go back and change the very first post in this thread because once I past it and then someone else replies the edit button disappears.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Atomsplitter

Unfortunately the economy IFS was already in the truck when I got it. It drives ok but I just don't like the design, the lower a-arm and strut rod seems way to light. I haven't looked into what I would install but I know most people stick to the bigger distributors.

Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
parkwood

Quote:
So Atomsplitter which one did you use and which one would you use if you were me? I am told that Chassis Engineering makes good products but when I looked on their site all I saw wa the Pinto IFS systems and from what I have read they are not the same as the MII systems.
GAG, if i can just throw in my 2 cents i've installed 7 of the Mll front ends. They'll easy to install if you have some welding skills. I would say to not go with the old Pinto IFS front end.
In the pictures the last one is a TCI coil over front end...
Attached Images

parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
gag1025

Thanks Parkwood for the pictures and the advice. I have been told that the Pinto kits are not heavy duty enough. I have also been told by several people that the new MII kits are totally bolt on kits with zero welding. I weld so that is not a problem, but like I said, the information I got is that the new kits are weldless (if that is a word).
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
parkwood

Quote:
Thanks Parkwood for the pictures and the advice. I have been told that the Pinto kits are not heavy duty enough. I have also been told by several people that the new MII kits are totally bolt on kits with zero welding. I weld so that is not a problem, but like I said, the information I got is that the new kits are weldless (if that is a word).
the only bolt in Mll kits that i've used went on cars... the stock cross member unbolts and the new Mll cross member bolts up in the stock holes only having to drill one or two new holes, and weld the hats on.. On trucks it's all weld on. chassic eng. makes a all bolt up front kit but i've never used one..
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
gag1025

The one I saw today on a truck frame had the hats welded on and the cross member bolted on. He said that he gets all his MII kits from TCI. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
gag1025

Parkwood. Your system looks like the kit on the right in the TCI ad. The only difference is yours is bagged and the one in the ad has coil overs.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #18
parkwood

Quote:
Parkwood. Your system looks like the kit on the right in the TCI ad. The only difference is yours is bagged and the one in the ad has coil overs.

That's because it is.. i have been buying from TCI since the '70's.. i like their stuff and get good deals from them...
I would like to see a picture of the kit you said was a bolt on and from TCI.. was it on a car or truck frame.. ???
Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #19
gag1025

This was information I got from a friend who said that he talked to a guy he ran across who said that they bolt right up. I don't know if he gets his kits from Chassis Engineering or where. I will find out Sunday when he and I sit down to discuss the direction we are going in as well as everything I need to buy. I will find out who the guy he talked was and call him and report what I find out. I was able to buy a 1980 Camaro Positraction rear end differential from a guy for $100 which is a great deal for me. He has several cars and trucks he is restoring and had a spare one sitting around. Now I can sell my Ford 9" to a guy who wants to buy it. The one I actually saw on the truck was just like yours and was from TCI. The only welding was the hats. The frame was bolted on only with no welding. This was on a 1947-1953 truck chassis. I was told that Fat Man kits are weld on and the guy who told me this said that the TCI unit was a much better unit. Thanks for all your help. I will save your pictures with your permission. BTW I looked at Chassis Engineering and all I saw was Pinto Kits. I did not see a MII kit on their site. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place. Help me out on this. I will try to call them tomorrow to see what I can find out. Thanks.

Last edited by gag1025; 02-03-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #20
parkwood

before you buy anything, send me a PM with your email address and i'll talk to you about it.. being a tar heel myself i would like to help you out..
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #21
gag1025

Great. Thanks. It is on its way. My cousin who lives in Mojave, CA is here visiting. Where did you live in NC? I just sent the message with my email address so if you don't get it let me know and I will send it to you again.

Last edited by gag1025; 02-03-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #22
mknittle

Quote:
So, how do I go back and change the very first post in this thread because once I past it and then someone else replies the edit button disappears.
You only have a limited amount of time to edit your post. Don't worry about it a lot of us can't type well. I can only type a blinding 5 words per minute then half are wrong!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 02-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Have a look at:

http://www.fatmanfab.com

They are the Charlotte area, Mooresville I think.
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
gag1025

Chuck, the are in the Charlotte area. I have talked to them a couple of times. They are about 1 1/2 hours from me. I live west of Burlington, NC. I have heard good and bad things about them. I have been told by many to use TCI or Chassis Engineering. So, the reality is I really don't know.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
_Ogre

i have a fatman in my 58, very heavy walled x-member, which makes it nice.