The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

The axles and drums are back

Got the axles and drums back today. The shop couldn’t press the studs in due to the fact that the newly drilled holes were too close to the existing holes. It could have caused trouble. No biggie. I went to a speed shop (yes, I found a real speed shop today!) and bought some Moroso 1/2 inch threaded wheel studs. Seeing that studs could not be pressed into the new holes, the machine shop went ahead and threaded the holes for me. No extra charge. Great folks at H&H machine.
I’ll buff the axle ends tomorrow, get the studs in, put a tack weld on them so I don’t have to worry about them turning when an impact gun hits them and then trim the length. The only came as 3 inch studs and that’s a bit long. After that, I’ll hit them with a couple of coasts of paint.
The hubs…well, I don’t know what I expected. I guess the new holes being a bit cleaner. They’re slightly elongated. Definitely not the end of the world and they’ll work just fine. Besides, they’ll be covered up anyway…right?...right.
Overall, I’m happy.

After getting all that done I’ll be attacking the pumpkin. I’m going to get it clean off and painted tomorrow. It’s still pretty coated with oil and grease so, that’ll be a great time.

Oh, the speed shop…
They’re called Clear Lake Speed Center. They just moved over to Seabrook recently. They were up in Webster, right under my nose the whole time. Talked a little bit with one of the owners today while picking up the studs…Sheila. That’s right, a woman who seemed ever bit as knowledgeable as any other Hot Rodder I’d ever met!
Talk about a blast from the past. I hadn’t been in a real speed shop since I was a kid back in the early 70’s. I’m glad to have found them. I’d much rather spend my money at a local shop.
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote