The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Senorx

A Tale of Two Hatches

My current hatch came to me without a glass when I purchased my K5. I finally removed it yesterday and discovered more damage then I originally expected. The good thing is my current hatch has all the guts and is in working condition. Only thing missing is a key for the lock, but that is the least of my worries. I purchased a donor hatch from the forum classifieds a few months back with the intention of just using the glass and adding it to my hatch. I retrieved the donor hatch from storage today and inspected it. The donor hatch seems to be in way better condition than my current hatch, but it has zero guts or handle. I really wanted to stay away from taking all the guts out of fear of not being able to put it back together. My fiberglass repair skills rate zero to none too. I have found a boat repair shop that is willing to take on the repair job and the price was right. I'm also worried about the removal and re-instalation of the glass portion of this fix. I do know one thing for sure, I'm sick and tired of not having a rear window on my top. I guess I need a nudge from y'all to do what I think I have already made up in my mind to do.

Below are a few pictures of what I'm dealing with. The first few pictures are of my original glassless hatch. Note the crack to the left of the handle. The crack pretty much goes all the way around. It also as 3 holes on the side lower portion. Stress cracks around the area where the struts that hold up an ajar top bolts up to.

Last edited by Senorx; 11-24-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Senorx

Re: A Tale of Two Hatches

Here are pics of the gutless donor hatch. Only one area of damage I could locate. This hatch really is a beauty now that I finally had a chance to inspect it. Glass is great too.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
71swb4x4

I have no idea how the internals go in, but if it's possible, I would use the donor hatch. That will give you the opportunity to clean and lube the linkages as the go in, and you will have a solid hatch for a long time.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I have no idea how the internals go in, but if it's possible, I would use the donor hatch. That will give you the opportunity to clean and lube the linkages as the go in, and you will have a solid hatch for a long time.
I concur with your statement. I removed the cover under the handle and the guts are pretty rusty. Everything does still function and the hatch will lock into place. They do need a good cleaning and lube.

Once the hatch I choose to repair is done, Im thinking about having it LineX painted white with their UV protection. I like the texture of the LineX liner. I'm also thinking it will give the hatch more strength.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Senorx

Any particular order the guts should be removed from the hatch? Tips? Tricks?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
Chulisohombre

Just document the way it comes apart and set up everything in order and put it back in th order it came off. Not too difficult only 6 pieces. The hardest is the latch and rehooking the pull rods.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #7
Senorx

Planning on taking a bunch of pics and posting to this thread for future reference. How about removing the glass? Don't want to damage the glass or the hatch while doing this.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Senorx

What's the best way to remove the glass from the hatch? Does it come out from the back or front?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Dale99

I swapped the glass working from the inside and pushing the glass to the outside. I found that to be easier. It took lots of plastic pry tools, some picks, screwdrivers, spray silicone, muscle and your favorite cuss book.

As for the guts. If nothing has ever been removed, your going to have fun. If its been taken apart before, its easy. Take pictures each step for reference going back together. Keep the stuff organized for left n right.

As for the fiberglass repair. That's your call, only you know your skills with the stuff.
1972 Jimmy 4x4 L05,4L60E,np205http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546364
1967 C10 L6/3tree(dads truck)
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

The guts are not as bad as you think. I was intimidated by it at first but found it was not all that complex. Take pictures of things (handle area and latch area) before you take it apart. Lay out everything in order as you take it out. The clips the rods attach to have 2 different ones so be sure you keep them in the right order. I started with the center and disconnected the rods. I moved over to the left and right latches and unbolted them, pulled out a bit and disconnected the rods. You can then work the rods out. I cant remember if I pulled them out through the center hole or the latch hole. I would suggest having a pair of stork pliers and a long thin screwdriver when doing this. As for the glass I did not have to remove and it still scares the hell out of me. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Senorx

Thanks for the detail, BBrendal. I'm gonna give the glass the old college try. If I can't get it, I'm thinking I might just cut it out of the rubber gasket and order a fresh one for the re-installation.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Senorx

Got the glass removed in about 45 minutes. Beginner's luck maybe? As an avid cyclist I'm use to prying stubborn skinny road bike tires over wheels. The idea clicked in my head. Use road bike tire levers. I began by prying the seal every 5 inches or so. Once I had about 5 of them in between the hatch edge and the seal, I gently pushed on the glass from the inside out. The glass began to separate from the hatch. Repeated the process until the glass was free. I had the hatch/glass laying on multiple cushioned blankets while doing this.

Bicycle tire levers are life savers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Senorx; 11-29-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
Senorx

Just went to LineX to have my hatch sprayed and they will not do white. Back to the drawing board.

I did get all the cracks fixed on the "donor" hatch which became my primary hatch now. Reference the above picture for the nasty crack this portion had. It also had that little fiberglass bar completely broke off and missing.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
landy

How'd you repair the cracks in the fiberglass?
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
How'd you repair the cracks in the fiberglass?
Wish I knew. I found a boat repair guy in town and let a Pro do it. Guy was reasonable. I have a few cracks in the actual top. Nothing major, just the usual stress cracks. I'm going back to him and ask if I can tag along during the repairs.

Now I need to find a way to texture it and paint it white.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE
Now I need to find a way to texture it and paint it white.[/QUOTE]

The shop that smoothed and painted mine used a spray on bed liner that was tintable, on the inside. It really does look amazing ( like it should have come that way from the factory). If I wanted a textured top, that's how I Would go.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorx View Post
Just went to LineX to have my hatch sprayed and they will not do white. Back to the drawing board.
Can't you have the liner done and then paint it white?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Can't you have the liner done and then paint it white?
I'm gonna call LineX tomorrow and ask them that question. Maybe use the lightest color they have and then have a body shop paint it.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #19
guynamedloren

Glad to see you went with the donor hatch. That thing looks great. 10x better than mine
guynamedloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
scot70

I just refinished my top. I used a product from Industrial Finishes that worked awesome. I'm not sitting in front of it and wont be for few days. If you are interested I will let you know. I understand the bed liner products don't hold their color well and are tough to repair because they are so hard.
scot70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #21
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot70 View Post
I just refinished my top. I used a product from Industrial Finishes that worked awesome. I'm not sitting in front of it and wont be for few days. If you are interested I will let you know. I understand the bed liner products don't hold their color well and are tough to repair because they are so hard.
Would appreciate any info and pics. Gonna go see a body shop next Friday. Guy says he's sprayed these tops before. He also explained he would paint it with something that would stand up to UV. Gonna stop by and see what he has to say.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #22
scot70

I put on a primer sealer and then applied the texture. After that a white base coat and 4 coats of clear. The texture is not as stringy as original but did a better finish job than I thought it was going to. I understand that the original texture is not produced aymore. From the research I did, this was the best product I found. When I figure this site out I can post some pics.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #23
scot70

Name:  20141206_153927.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  20.0 KB
Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #24
Senorx

Wow! That's perfect. Very nice work.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #25
scot70

When I get home I will send you the product info.