The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
robs71k5
K5drive

Blazer chalet custom

Was going to post pictures but changes have been made that escape my technical background .Will post later if I figure it out . But have a good start to me chalet pop up project that might interest some of you and can assemble on the truck in minutes with hard top, softop or Bimini
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
robs71k5
K5drive

Re: Blazer chalet custom

Wher is the add attachment symbol for uploading to thread
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
robs71k5
K5drive

Wow don't Evan know how I did that let's try again
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
robs71k5
K5drive

Still don't know what I did .lol but hey one more pic
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
cleszkie

I have some familiarity with the pop-top campers on Blazers. I will be watching this as it develops. First thing I notice is that the frame is being made out of pretty big steel bar stock. This could end up becoming very heavy once you add in the rest of the framing, skin, interior, and canvas/vinyl. My FWC is constructed entirely out of 1-inch square aluminum bar stock, skinned in aluminum. With 10 gallons of water, and 10 gallons of propane, it weights approx. 700 lbs. You will be looking at a bit more than that, so be prepared to upgrade your suspension with bigger overload springs or air bag helpers.

Maybe I misinterpreted your project. Are you just building a tent platform that will mount over the hard top? If so, disregard my blabbering above. However, I would highly suggest bigger gussets on your vertical legs, or some diagonal bracing to prevent the whole thing from folding down under load. I built a very similar type overhead rack for my Blazer years ago, and the vibration and shaking and wind loading took its toll on the structure until I added in diagonal bracing in both directions (front to back, and side to side).

Last edited by cleszkie; 04-17-2017 at 01:38 PM.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #6
robs71k5
K5drive

Yes I see what your saying but as you say about the gusset being small but this will be ellieveated with a stiffener just behind the roll bar not present yet. This Chalet is intended as you say to be a canvas shell with sleeping bunks on top . The weight although I haven't put it onto a scale yet is under 80 lbs what you see in the picture and built with 1 1/2 inch square tube 1/16 wall thickness. I have ultra strong honey comb carbon fiber panels made for the floor . I think it will be a good idea to get the specific weight going forward . Also the weight of the origional hard top is much heavier than what I've constructed so far which was an important fact for me as I will be using the windshield post to support the front which will at the same time offer some stablisation side to side as the Headers I've been supplying here will also become integral to this application. Just flying by the seat of my pants on this one but I knew if I didn't get started it wouldn't happen . Another issue I had/ have is my garage won't have anything to do with this project as you can see the rack easily is higher than my garage door .LOL . Now I can feel the pitty ! Thanks for looking and comments and I look forward to any suggestions
Old 04-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
robs71k5
K5drive

Going to be a bit before the canvas / sumbrella is fitted but will post those pictures asap
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #8
robs71k5
K5drive

Just need to order the sumbrella and see If I can thread the old needle. Better idea might be to find someone to whip a cover up for me but being the frugal person I am I can see a quick sew job n the future.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
cleszkie

Is the tent portion going to be supported by any sort of foldable frame? I'd get that squared away before putting any needle to fabric.

I live near the Pacific coast and there are a lot of boat canvas shops around that have the ability to custom make any sort of Sunbrella/Sharkskin enclosures for boats. If you have any these type shops near you, you should look into having them build the canvas. It will cost a little, but you will be able to have windows, zippers, screens, vents, etc. sewn in that will take the function to the next level.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 AM   #10
robs71k5
K5drive

Thanks for looking Cleszkie. Yes I know where your coming from .Just the material alone is going to ring in at $400 +. However I am fortunate enough to own a phaff industrial sewing machine that I had purchased some years ago for making boat tops so I will fenture down that road one more time simply because I can and if I should change anything last min it will be on my dime. But nothing like getting the pro's to get it done nicely . We shall see what I can do . At worst I can take it in and get my foopa fixed but I have some experienced help on the side as well so no real worries . Tonight I mounted some rev jacks so it can be removed in five minutes . But damaged some paint so will have to dial it back in for paint once I get it all figured out .
I have come up with another addition to this project. Its a bit of a brain fart yet but the back of the rack will be stabilizing another unit that's primarily sitting on the receiver hook and essentially supporting 100% of the weight but will quick couple into the rack as as stabilizer . Imagine a receiver hook basket that has three or four levels for your cooking essentials tha pops out of the trailer hitch that has four drop down legs . This unit will be home for a BBQ, cooler, water supply at the top and a sink providing I have room for it all .LOL
Anyway took some pics of the parts in case others want to do something simlular
First picture is how I build the support foth the structure above the quarter panels. The integrity part is merely a block of steel. Three holes drilled and taped horizontally and four holes drilled and tapped with a bottom out tap (these vericle holes not drilled through) but tapped as deep as permitted with out going through. I used 1/4 28 tap for those four holes and 5/16 thread on the three hor holes . Repeated this procedure x 4 supports .the picture illustrates one
Attached Images

Last edited by robs71k5; 05-04-2017 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Forgot pics
Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 AM   #11
robs71k5
K5drive

Bottom picture shows the that get installed on the longeron with 4 flush mounted screws from the bottom side
Old 05-04-2017, 02:26 AM   #12
robs71k5
K5drive

Pops the picture didn't tag along that time
Attached Images

Last edited by robs71k5; 05-04-2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Picture not posting
Old 05-04-2017, 02:33 AM   #13
robs71k5
K5drive

Next picture just for profile of the rack and curb appeal . Ya baby ! I just love building this thing it s just as much fun as any could have with drinking 24 cold ones
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2017, 02:38 AM   #14
robs71k5
K5drive

Forgot to mention . I used 1/4 x 1 in flat 75 inches long and a four 6 in pieces of 2 inch welded to outbrd of that for the longeron . I placed the 4 6 inch pieces so they wouldn't interrupt the snaps for the softop . I will post some pics of the upper supports tomorrow . Pretty much can put anything on top , plenty strong .
Old 05-04-2017, 02:41 AM   #15
robs71k5
K5drive

Also the 1/4 inch longeron is sitting on a 1/8 stainless quarter panel cap.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
Big Block
Big Block

Any progress on the chalet.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 AM   #17
robs71k5
K5drive

Going to be getting into this shortly again. Been busy with repairing boat and that got me distracted but have sold the boat and now looking at delving into this project with both feet. What might be the most interesting feature here for you? I have an idea that I'm about to unfold that utilizes the rack and the trailer hitch as a kitchen unit but does not render my trailer hitch useless in the process. I'm inviting those interested to 1967-72 chevy blazer's to the BBM channel where the secret will be revealed
Old 08-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #18
Not a bronco

Dang I love that! it's just like what I did to mine (kinda) I just wanted a roof rack but I can't stand hard tops
Attached Images

Not a bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #19
Chulisohombre

Very cool idea. I'll be watching to see the progress.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
mister.freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a bronco View Post
Dang I love that! it's just like what I did to mine (kinda) I just wanted a roof rack but I can't stand hard tops
I need that sticker!!!!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
Blazer690

When I was using my 2wd for work
Attached Images

Blazer690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #22
robs71k5
K5drive

Nice job on both these trucks. I new I would be inspired but was looking for these gems before I started mine ! Still interested in getting close ups if your installation hardware setup. Might be great inspiration for another truck lol. I have another section getting added to mine soon then will be ready to unveil as a new concept . But love these setups !