The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
67pete300

Dumb A-arm rebuild questions

So I'm finally starting to put back together the upper and lower A arms with the new shafts and ball joints and it doesn't seem so straightforward as removal....

First, I can't get the same 12 pt 1 3/8" socket I used to remove the control arm shaft nuts on the new nuts? They look exactly the same as the old ones when I put them next to each other but the socket just won't slip over. It was snug on the old ones. Do I need a 6 pt socket? It doesn't look different enough to be metric...

Second, I didn't pay any attention to the adjustment fore or aft when removing the old shaft but it seems like the shaft needs to be centered in a certain way to locate the arm in the right spot?

Third, Is there any magic to greasing the new shafts? When and how much to grease?

Fourth, Torque specs for control arm shaft nuts and ball joint bolts?

Need to rent the ball joint tool for the lowers but maybe I'll discover new questions when I get there....
Attached Images

67pete300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Empire402

Re: Dumb A-arm rebuild questions

I had found a link in FAQ's on this very subject and saved it for later reference. You should find answers to all your questions, very detailed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=599579
Empire402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Richard2112

Quote:
...it seems like the shaft needs to be centered in a certain way to locate the arm in the right spot?
I rebuilt my entire front end, lock to lock and this is probably your biggest concern, at least at your present stage.

The proper placement of the hole is dependent on two things, one is how much caster you need or want. The other is how much thread engagement you have end to end, securing your pivot bar.

The pivot bar is not fun to adjust after install and can be somewhat dangerous to achieve, depending on what tools you have available.

Take a look at your desired caster and it's relationship to your contact patch, the effects of having more or less caster on cornering and steering wheel return.

You can shim at the pivot bar to adjust caster later so make sure you have adequate thread engagement end to end.

Once you have determined these things, doing your final alignment yourself is easy.

http://www.ntwonline.com/Caster-Camb...for-Tires.aspx

I don't know why your socket doesn't fit, SAE to metric maybe? And I greased all my parts as they went together
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
67pete300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire402 View Post
I had found a link in FAQ's on this very subject and saved it for later reference. You should find answers to all your questions, very detailed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=599579
Thanks. This was super helpful. Spent half the day driving around to get tools. Found a 36mm socket that works on the upper. Luckily the socket I have for the lower works. Didn't know the new U bolts were bigger so had to go find a 9/16 drill bit. Also had to get the loaner ball joint tool....

Made a bit of progress before I had to leave for family stuff....maybe tomorrow...
67pete300 is offline   Reply With Quote