The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Anyone else run braided hose from pump to carb?

OK. I think I have all the pieces I need to run stainless steel braided hose from pump to carb but I am unsure where, exactly, to run it.

I think for now I will just arch over the valve cover but later I want to follow the path of the OEM hardline as much as I can.

Is there anyone with a straight 6 that used braided hose and AN fittings that can post pics to give me some ideas?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Jcfcamaro

Re: Anyone else run braided hose from pump to carb?

I have on SB motor. Works very well. I also ran a filter inline between the pump and regulator. I like how you can reuse your fittings. Make sure you wrap tape around your hose before you cut it with a chop saw or cutoff wheel.
Attached Images

Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
4oldcars

I ran ss braided on my 53 Bel Air I6, straight up, cross in front of the valve cover, and back to the carb, filter by the pump, NOT over the hot manifold. But I'm no help cause I don't have any pictures and wouldn't know how to post them if I did.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
TheSeeker

I actually need the same information so im going to piggy back on your topic if its ok!

I have a 69 250 I6, it has a Clifford intake and a carter AVS clone 4 barrel carb

At the time of the upgrades I just ran a long rubber hose from the factory hardline at the pump to the carb inlet, it got me home but the trucks been sitting for a bit and im jumping back into it and the hose needs to go.

I see several options for me to take, that include a steel line from pump to filter and then to carb, or id personally like to avoid the tube bending and use the braided line with AN fitting, but Im having a hard time figuring out how much length and fittings to buy to make it work. Any one who has done this care to give me some advice, or part #s to make it easier to see what I need to do?

Thanks!!
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
Ironangel

I ran steel line up from my mechanical pump and from there went with an inline fuel filter using 3/8" stainless braided fuel line to my Cliff Ruggles Quadrajet...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I did it. But in -10 or 5/8 been that way since 05 or so.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
jocko

Have to ask - is there any particular reason you prefer not to do hard lines?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I'm wondering the same thing. Why use braided stainless when the OEM hard line works perfectly, and with only two connections. My truck has the 45 year old one and it's ready for another 45 years. You all realize your fuel isn't running through anything stainless, right? That's just a nice looking cover.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
TheSeeker

I am aware the braided steel is only for looks and protection. I have nothing against what is in there now which is steel hard line. The only part I want to replace is the pump to filter and then to the carb. I figured since I do not own a tubing bender and have also never done it before the flex hose would be easier to route on my particular set up.. no offense intended.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
jocko

It's not a "LOT" easier to do braided hoses - but you're correct not hard. Tubing bender is uber cheap at any parts store - as are the bare lines. The bulk of the cost up front is a good quality flaring tool - but it is a wise investment, once you have it, you have it forever. Not that expensive but more than the cutter and bender. I'm kinda weird, I somewhat enjoy bending the lines . It's pretty easy with the right tools - and if you screw up, the tools are already paid for, just grab some more inexpensive line and do it again. Not trying to dissuade those that want braided lines for the sake of braided lines - more trying to encourage anyone that hasn't bent their own to give it a try. The skill will apply to brake lines, etc as well - just with a different flare, that's all. As for quality - probably nothing matches a hard line - but braided or even quality rubber are also just fine and they do provide a little more flexibility on the install. I've done both - I tend to do the factory way if I can duplicate it as much as possible anymore - just prefer the looks of hard lines. Comes to personal preference, there's no wrong answer - just mentioning because it's always great to learn a new skill - and line-bending with a few basic tools is a good one to have one one's hip pocket. Here's my first braided lines on my first engine on my first car, a 57 bel air a looong time ago. Before I knew glass fuel filters were a bad idea EDIT: Am I dating myself with white headers... ha
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 11-16-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Hard line is anything but "perfect" for me. I couldn't get the pre-bent line from Inline Tube to work without a serious leak and I don't have time to bend my own tubing right now. That tubing seals on the flare and it's just got to be right all the way....

Besides, my engine is a mess of grease, dirt, etc. and all the hacked up wiring the previous owner did 30 years ago.....that really needs to be properly cleaned up before anything final is done. All I want is to start the thing and make sure the anti-freeze is circulated fully before it gets and stays below freezing.

I may end up just running rubber hose for now. Winter is almost here and I have a rather big condo renovation going on. Renters are booking and I don't have time to fight a tube bender.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #12
HotRodfuelhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
I actually need the same information so im going to piggy back on your topic if its ok!

I have a 69 250 I6, it has a Clifford intake and a carter AVS clone 4 barrel carb

At the time of the upgrades I just ran a long rubber hose from the factory hardline at the pump to the carb inlet, it got me home but the trucks been sitting for a bit and im jumping back into it and the hose needs to go.

I see several options for me to take, that include a steel line from pump to filter and then to carb, or id personally like to avoid the tube bending and use the braided line with AN fitting, but Im having a hard time figuring out how much length and fittings to buy to make it work. Any one who has done this care to give me some advice, or part #s to make it easier to see what I need to do?

Thanks!!
You should be able to come out of the pump with a 90 elbow, I believe it needs to be NPT to AN, Utilize an inline Filter if you like. Snake the line up the front and use a 90 degree hose fitting on the other end to go into the carb inlet.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Hard line is anything but "perfect" for me. I couldn't get the pre-bent line from Inline Tube to work without a serious leak and I don't have time to bend my own tubing right now. That tubing seals on the flare and it's just got to be right all the way....

Besides, my engine is a mess of grease, dirt, etc. and all the hacked up wiring the previous owner did 30 years ago.....that really needs to be properly cleaned up before anything final is done. All I want is to start the thing and make sure the anti-freeze is circulated fully before it gets and stays below freezing.

I may end up just running rubber hose for now. Winter is almost here and I have a rather big condo renovation going on. Renters are booking and I don't have time to fight a tube bender.
Completely understand the approach, makes sense. If you're not certain braided is your end state, I'd go with rubber now too, that will get it going just fine.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 AM   #14
In The Ten Ring

OK guys, I think I have it.

I have this piece which I will screw into the carb.

https://quadrajetparts.com/adapter-i...ing-p-368.html

I will order this piece this morning which I will screw onto the above piece.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...690b/overview/

Advance auto sells poly armor tubing with fittings already installed....I can buy one of those, screw it into the fuel pump and then cut off the tubing, run 5/16" hose between there and the fittings above, and BINGO I have a fuel line.

What do you think?

*If Advance auto has just the fitting for the carb I could double flare my own poly armor tubing on one end and bubble flare on the other. I have a flare kit and lots of 5/16" poly armor tubing left.

**Do AN fittings mate up well between different manufacturers?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I don't know why anyone would think a person asking why braided stainless is offended unless they get offended at silly minor things that don't even involve them. I have been here a long time and have given tons of advise and perspective that has helped other members here. I am familiar with the OP and his project at this point and my question was directed at him. Not trying to make stink, but will admit I am still questioning why. I think just a length of neoprene is exactly what he needs for temporary. Running braided stainless along with it's fittings isn't cheaper or better in any way than the OEM design. It doesn't take less time and it's not like he's dressing up his admitted oily greasy engine. Every line on my Harley is braided stainless (except hard line along frame to rear), so I am not against it when it makes sense. Some Harley guys will say that isn't good because the braided stainless will saw on anything it is up against. I have it all ran so that won't happen, though. I just think Ten Ring needs to do what he needs to crank that thing over, which I know is his objective here.

I'm very surprised the line he got from Inline Tube wasn't a perfect fit since everything I have gotten from them has been. I think what I'd be doing is find an OEM piece on the parts board. I save them when I find them intact, but have none for the 250 at the moment. I spray them with alumna-blast and they look great on a clean detailed engine.The engine looks clean with that line all tucked in so well and out of the way of everything else. But it's not my truck so all this is just me adding thoughts to consider, that's all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Alright! I think I have it.

I ordered this piece from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...690b/overview/

this piece from Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...15946/10002/-1

and Advance Auto has the polyarmor hardline to go from pump to 5/16".

Summit advised that -6AN was 5/8" so I wanted that fitting to be able to connect to 5'16".

Jegs told me the fitting on the Carter pump I have is 1/2"-20 and that is what Advance has on their fuel line.

I should be able to complete the (temporary) pump to carb fuel line Monday or Tuesday!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #17
nikwho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
I have on SB motor. Works very well. I also ran a filter inline between the pump and regulator. I like how you can reuse your fittings. Make sure you wrap tape around your hose before you cut it with a chop saw or cutoff wheel.
That's a super clean setup and a slick place to mount a regulator! Nice work!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #18
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
That's a super clean setup and a slick place to mount a regulator! Nice work!
Thanks, that was my first time using the fittings. When I start doing my K10 with a 396 I'm going to use the same stuff.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote