The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2024, 10:52 PM   #1
lofly'a

Parts, Tucking bumpers

Hey all, been a member here for 15+ years and recently acquired a new project. i bought a 48 3100 series SWB roller a few weeks ago mostly in parts. it has a stock frame with a Heidt's Mustang 2 front suspension, and a 71 Nova 10 bolt posi rear (leaves) installed . i have a few questions. Plan is to leave the exterior body as is with the exception of tucking the front bumper, and lifting and tucking the rear bumper. Would love to hear from anyone with any knowledge and/or experience of this. i have the fab skills, would just like to hear any tips of tricks that may help. Saw a guy on youtube tucking a rear bumper by flipping the whole assembled bumper and brackets to tuck but he didn't explain why he was using a front bumper on the rear. i have no bumpers yet to compare to so.....
Next is parts, before buying all new i am in the market for the following: bedsides, tailgate, running board aprons, chrome grille & bumpers, and front bumper aprons. drivetrain will be 6.0/4L60E and 4-link the rear on static suspension. Thanks
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:38 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Parts, Tucking bumpers

ok, here's an idea on tucking the front bumper when you find a bumper and brackets.
I took the brackets and moved them back so the middle hole on the bracket bolted into the rear hole on the frame, then trimmed the excess off the end of the bracket. Then I had a spring shop drill a hole in the bracket that matches the front hole in the frame. The bracket is made of spring steel so regular drill bits wont cut it.
This puts the center of the bumper about 1/2" from the center of the grill.
Hope that helped.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:14 PM   #3
Chopped53

For the rear, I got a '54 bumper (with the license plate notch), mounted it to my stock bumper arms, then flipped the whole thing upside down. Because the bumper arms have a downward swoop, turning them upside down moves the bumper up considerably. Finally, I shortened the bumper arms to tuck everything closer to the truck. Didn't need a roll pan, plus the license plate notch provided a spot for the exhaust. Pretty simple process. Here's a pic. Good luck with yours.
Attached Images

Chopped53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:40 PM   #4
lofly'a

Chopped53, i love your bumper modifications. I'm going to use a 54-55.1 rear bumper also, but not flipped. like yours, but wanna put license plate there. I like my exhaust all the way out the back but almost hidden. Is there still a gap that can be filled with a modified rear bumper apron after tucking? Excuse my ignorance, I bought my truck 2 week ago mostly dismantled, and don't have bumpers aprons or brackets yet. Mostly dreaming, scheming, and parts hunting.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:45 PM   #5
Chopped53

Thanks lofly'a. There is still a gap. I dug up another picture that shows the gap. Somehow the picture makes the gap look bigger than it does in person, but hopefully it helps you. Good luck with your mods.
Attached Images

Chopped53 is offline   Reply With Quote