The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Pickaroon

I have had this pickaroon for many years ,,maybe 50 years or more ..My dad had it first and we both used it for rolling pulp logs onto the roll way ,then to roll the logs onto the truck to haul then to the pulp mill .

I used it for flinging chunks of fire wood out of the woods and in the road and load into my truck and take home for wood to burn ,,

I have kept it oiled and still have the same handle in it, had to make a new tip couple times as I hit a rock and broke the tip off, ,still works ,,but dont burn wood any more so it's just something to talk about now..

Any of you out there ever use one these like this? or have one?

I also have two cross cut saws .one Peavy and a fallen Ax

Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Pickaroon

I have an old saw like loggers used. It's about 8 feet long with a handle at each end. I also have an old bow saw that some carpenter made. It has the initials "K.P." and the year- 1921.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I have an old saw like loggers used. It's about 8 feet long with a handle at each end. I also have an old bow saw that some carpenter made. It has the initials "K.P." and the year- 1921.
That old bow saw is a old one and with original initials ,,makes it even better.

Yeah.. they call them saws whips . or crosscuts , back in Highshool my neighbor and I cut two loads of alder logs for pulp wood ,, my dad had the horse for us to use and his dad had the chain saw,, but the saw broke down and we had to learn to work together bucking the logs up into 8 foot long logs,, lucky they were alder as it was pretty fair cutting..

I still have the crosscut that him and I used ..
Old 01-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I never had anything like that, Larry. Just an old pulaski I found a long time ago while cutting firewood. I have used it a lot and the edge is still sharp -- it's very hard steel. I've done a lot of trenching with it too, putting in my sprinkler system and replacing bad water lines. It still has the original handle too.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I never had anything like that, Larry. Just an old pulaski I found a long time ago while cutting firewood. I have used it a lot and the edge is still sharp -- it's very hard steel. I've done a lot of trenching with it too, putting in my sprinkler system and replacing bad water lines. It still has the original handle too.
Well, never had a Pulaski ,,seen them before though ,, This tool would be great for picking and also cutting the roots all in one I bet..

The pickaroon has a little bend at the end and when you slam it into a log you can drag it or roll it over with out fallen back wards on your tail,, that is if you have it in good enough ,,alway be read y though,,

To let go of the log you bend the pickaroon handle down and that makes the tip roll outwards and frees itself.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I never had a pickaroon but have used one years ago. I do have a Pulaski I've had maybe 40 years. Great for clearing brush by the roots. I recently used it to clear the steep bank across the road from my house to plant pretty stuff to look at while porch sitting.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never had a pickaroon but have used one years ago. I do have a Pulaski I've had maybe 40 years. Great for clearing brush by the roots. I recently used it to clear the steep bank across the road from my house to plant pretty stuff to look at while porch sitting.
For some reason and I have no answer why to this ,, but I never knew any of people around my part of the country in Western Oregon owning and using a Pilaski,, I have seen them in fire houses ,, ,, they look like a good tool too..I still have a mattock that I use for the same thing .. it was my dads and now for over 50 years it's been mine..
Old 01-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

I have one but it started life as an axe. Dont have a picture of it . And we have about 12 inches of snow and half an inch of ice. So I'm not going out to the barn.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I have a couple kinds of mattocks and picks. The Pulaski is from when I lived in Northern AZ. The pick and shovel may have been made by the devil, but they get the job done. I've got an adz, draw knives, etc for hand hewning logs. You never know when you might need to build yourself a cabin out in the forest.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote