The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:25 AM   #676
BigMike

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

I bought some 48 LED light panels off of eBay and adapted them to the interior/courtesy/glovebox lights on my truck. WOW, it's like daylight!

Here is the box of 5 48 LED panels + 3 styles of adapters. It didn't come with a 67 bulb style adapter used in the factory style courtesy lights. I cut the ends off two of the adapters, broke the glass out of a couple 1156 bulbs and soldered the ends to the empty socket. This way I didn't ruin the courtesy light assembly and I can easily unplug them if needed.

I also fabricated a couple aluminum panels that were a little bigger than the LED lights. I stuck the lights to them (they come with 3M double stick tape already attached for easy mounting) and used an existing hole that was used for the courtesy lights to mount them. This way everything is easily reversible if I didn't like them or want to go back to stock later in life.

I put two LED panels in the dome light:

Which gives me THIS:

My courtesy lights:

And my glove box light, that comes on when I open it:

I still need to drill holes and install pin switches because my truck never had them.

Mike
Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #677
Motoxrrar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I bought some 48 LED light panels off of eBay and adapted them to the interior/courtesy/glovebox lights on my truck. WOW, it's like daylight!

Here is the box of 5 48 LED panels + 3 styles of adapters. It didn't come with a 67 bulb style adapter used in the factory style courtesy lights. I cut the ends off two of the adapters, broke the glass out of a couple 1156 bulbs and soldered the ends to the empty socket. This way I didn't ruin the courtesy light assembly and I can easily unplug them if needed.

I also fabricated a couple aluminum panels that were a little bigger than the LED lights. I stuck the lights to them (they come with 3M double stick tape already attached for easy mounting) and used an existing hole that was used for the courtesy lights to mount them. This way everything is easily reversible if I didn't like them or want to go back to stock later in life.

Which gives me THIS:

My courtesy lights:

I still need to drill holes and install pin switches because my truck never had them.

Mike
Nice job Mike they look great!

Noticed your shoulder belts. What brand were you using for them?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #678
VWNate1

Thumbs up LED Bulb Upgrades

THANK YOU MIKE ! .

My Brother has been pushing me to try these and I was thinking of making up some under dash courtesy lights , your picture shows what I'd hoped to see .

I seem to find better quality and lower price OnLine than in my FLAPS .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #679
bonnieclyde100

where did you get the glovebox liner it looks like plastic and not cardboard ? is it just for certain trucks or are they available for all??
Quote:

Which gives me THIS:

My courtesy lights:

Mike

Last edited by bonnieclyde100; 05-15-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #680
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 View Post
where did you get the glovebox liner it looks like plastic and not cardboard ? is it just for certain trucks or are they available for all??
That liner is part of his Old Air Products A/C kit. IT's necessary since the A/C evaporator sits under the dash and uses some of the glove box space. It's smaller than the factory style cardboard box.

Mike, I love the LED lights. Nice touch on the courtesy lights. I may have to try this.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #681
bonnieclyde100

ok thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
That liner is part of his Old Air Products A/C kit. IT's necessary since the A/C evaporator sits under the dash and uses some of the glove box space. It's smaller than the factory style cardboard box.

Mike, I love the LED lights. Nice touch on the courtesy lights. I may have to try this.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #682
BigMike

Here is the courtesy light mounts I made. I bent about 3/4" on one side so the lights would sit more level because of the angle of the bottom of the dash.

Yes, Old Air is where I bought my glove box liner from. I looked at several others at that time & this one was the one I liked the most. I don't yet have A/C in my truck so I may or may not be able to keep this liner depending on if I go with old Air or Vintage Air. With the glove box light I just stuck it on there with the double stick tape that is already attached to the back of the lights.

HERE is the light kit that I bought off eBay, Item # 321236595761.

For those of you that don't want to break out 2 1156 bulbs and solder them to the plug you can go this route with Item #380722876396. I didn't want to spend the extra $, that's why I made my own. They are called BA15S adapters, which is just an 1156 style with no bulb and the wires already soldered in.

Also, the seller I went with was out of SoCal so I got them quickly. There are a lot of sellers out of China & Hong Kong that were less expensive but would have taken longer to get. Hope all of this helps anyone that wants to do it. I'm sure there are better ways to do it but I didn't want to spend TOO much time on them...lol

Mike
Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #683
88fordf150

Rust repair.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #684
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Here is the courtesy light mounts I made. I bent about 3/4" on one side so the lights would sit more level because of the angle of the bottom of the dash.

Yes, Old Air is where I bought my glove box liner from. I looked at several others at that time & this one was the one I liked the most. I don't yet have A/C in my truck so I may or may not be able to keep this liner depending on if I go with old Air or Vintage Air. With the glove box light I just stuck it on there with the double stick tape that is already attached to the back of the lights.

HERE is the light kit that I bought off eBay, Item # 321236595761.

For those of you that don't want to break out 2 1156 bulbs and solder them to the plug you can go this route with Item #380722876396. I didn't want to spend the extra $, that's why I made my own. They are called BA15S adapters, which is just an 1156 style with no bulb and the wires already soldered in.

Also, the seller I went with was out of SoCal so I got them quickly. There are a lot of sellers out of China & Hong Kong that were less expensive but would have taken longer to get. Hope all of this helps anyone that wants to do it. I'm sure there are better ways to do it but I didn't want to spend TOO much time on them...lol

Mike
Hey Mike what are the measurements of the light panels please...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #685
BigMike

Just a hair longer than 2 3/8" by a tad shorter than 1 1/2"

Mike
Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #686
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Just a hair longer than 2 3/8" by a tad shorter than 1 1/2"

Mike
Thanks Mike...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Old 05-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #687
Mike_The_Grad

@bigmike, good name by the way...lol. Already knowing how bright LEDS are, do you think a clear dome light lens or even a lightly color tinted lens would be to bright? I really like the glove box light by the way. Much easier to find what you're looking for.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #688
circa73

I made an adapter plate to get my carb facing the right way and installed my lokar kickdown and throttle linkages.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #689
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I went from Carb to EFI. Man what a differance NO compairison EFI wins hands down
Attached Images

2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #690
chopnchaneled

Looks Great, Been thinking about doing the same, If you don't mind my asking
what was the final cost? and would like to hear about mileage when you get the miles on it to check it.
Joe
Old 05-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #691
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
@bigmike, good name by the way...lol. Already knowing how bright LEDS are, do you think a clear dome light lens or even a lightly color tinted lens would be to bright? I really like the glove box light by the way. Much easier to find what you're looking for.
Oh ya, I've been looking into the clear lens. The clear lenses would make it quite a bit brighter. Before I put the cover on I tested it and it was quite a bit brighter, the lens softens the light up a bit but it is still WAY brighter than stock.

When I was younger I use to tint the bulb different colors because I thought it was cool...not very practical because you really couldn't see squat, but it was cool. Now I just want to see what that the hell I'm looking at/for. I guess you could do the courtesy lights in a different color and then the dome in white if you want. They make all different colors of LED's so the sky is the limit.

Mike
Old 05-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #692
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post
I went from Carb to EFI. Man what a differance NO compairison EFI wins hands down
What are all the things you have to change to convert to EFI? Difficulty? $$?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #693
In The Ten Ring

I love this site because guys like the ones above give me something to aspire to.

I made more preparations today: at the suggestion of a friend, I moved my riding mower outside to make room for bending the new fuel lines. I just did get it up on blocks and covered with a tarp before the rain and hail came! I secured the tarp with heavy weights and tied one of the grommets to a spike. I chained the mower to a fence post.

I also made a PVC pipe case for a vintage Stanley breaker bar I found. I had scored an essentially NOS 1/2 inch Stanley ratchet set but the metal case lacks the space for a breaker bar. Now I can put both the case and pipe into a tool bag and lug it around in the truck for when I hit the junkyards. I drilled 1/4" holes in the pipe to prevent condensation.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 05-17-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #694
Curtm220

Cup holder install and a new lighter receptacle. Now I can charge my phone and enjoy my coffee. It's the little things...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  105.2 KB
Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #695
Ridgeclimber

We got my doors, rear fenders, rear box cross member, hinges, latches all painted this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #696
colgad

Got my projector lamps working and under hood lights
Attached Images

1955 Red-Cream, Chevrolet Nomad, restoration on hold
2004 Black, Corvette Z06 LS6 convertible (Rock solid Fun) 2011/2018 Power Tour
Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #697
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzC10 View Post
What are all the things you have to change to convert to EFI? Difficulty? $$?
1st off I got Lucky and picked this up used off a NICE 69 PU for $900. All the parts where there including the Distributer and the manifold is powder coated. It’s the older Edlebrock Pro Flo system NOT the new Pro Flo 2. It was challenging to say the least but the outcome so far is great. Very quick and crisp response. The difficulty was getting the tune right and I have to admit were still playing with it as far as idle goes. It could just be the lumpy cam I have but when cold it wants to surge at idle but we keep getting better and better. It’s our first shot at doing EFI and have to say IF you have the patients, time and a few extra $$ (that’s the hard part) it’s well worth it
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
Old 05-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #698
Ridgeclimber

Well we finally finished painting the last of the box pieces. The painting is all done. Now the fun starts, putting it back together. The plan is to have it back on the road for Father's Day. I took a week of holiday off of work to make sure it's ready.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #699
Ridgeclimber

This afternoon I got the doors back on with the latches all adjusted
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #700
Avitech

I ripped out the old wiring and tore apart the instrument cluster for a repaint. Tomorrow the Speedway Motors wire harness goes in. nice harness for the money. Pictures tomorrow after the paint dries. :-)
Closed Thread