The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
DavidButler

Starter Motor

Rebuilt the cylinder head ( seized valves) on my 1954 235 in my pick up and finally got her running last night. Tappets seem a little bit noisy, but they can be adjusted, Plenty of oil onto rockers etc. Otherwise it sounded pretty sweet.
The oil pressure gauge in the truck (1952) only goes up to 30 psi. The needle was right off the scale (higher) even when the temperature reached normal, is this ok?

However, on the downside I guess the starter did not disengage from the engine or is there a freewheel device that didn't work? Bottom line is the winding's in the rotor parted company with the rotor and made a right mess of the starter and stater winding's. I suspect there is an external extension spring missing from the foot starter mechanism.
I have had a quick look on the tinternet for refurbished starters and they all seem to be 6 Volt ones. Do most people use the original 6V units on a 12V system, or are there alternative 12V units available? There is a tag on the old starter but it will need some more work to be able to read it, possibly including a trip to the opticians!

Thanks in advance.
DavidButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Starter Motor

do a google search (or look on this forum) because the 6v starter and flywheel is different than the 12v stuff. if the engine starts well, so the starter doesn't get used for longer periods, then a new 6v starter will prolly be fine. if you keep the foot pedal for engaging then you don't have to worry about the bendix slamming into the ring gear either. just make sure there is the proper return spring so the starter disengages. you know all about that now.

here is a primer for you to read about the differences in starter and ring gears between the 2 systems. hope it helps.

https://talk.classicparts.com/thread...tarters.12367/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Fred n' Ethel

Enlightening post, thanks.
More info ......
http://www.devestechnet.com/Home/Flywheel
Fred n' Ethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
DavidButler

Brilliant,
Considered and knowledgeable replies in a flash, as usual.
Thanks very much.
Looks like I will be counting teeth this weekend. My next door neighbour is a dentist he may be the man for the job.

Much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
mr48chev

Some of the truck parts vendors do have 12 volt starters that are direct replacements for 6 volt starters. This page shows the 6 and 12 volt units for 47/54 side by side https://www.classicparts.com/searchprods.asp

On the oil pressure issue, they also sell replacement gauges that read 60 lbs that are direct replacements. The 53 trucks that had the pressure oil 235 came with those.

This page shows the oil pressure gauges https://www.classicparts.com/Gauges-...oducts/845/3/0
NOTE: neither of the links is a suggestion you buy from this particular vendor it is just to show examples of what is available in both cases.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #6
DavidButler

Thanks Once again for the information.
Greatly appreciated.