The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
Bhelton

Straight out of 1995

So I get a call from a buddy who says he knows of a bagged 88-98 1500 for a small price and I ask for a number to go look at it. Get there look it over and see it has potential to beat the streets again with some love and attention. So I made a deal and plans for now is to re plumb air suspension, modernize a few things and put a fresh paint job on it and some 22s but try and keep it looking from the era it was built in. Here's a pic of what I'm starting with and if anyone has any 88 interior parts I may be interested in them.
Attached Images

Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Bhelton

Re: Straight out of 1995

As I found it
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
Cape Codder

Looks like a nice truck, I am not a fan of the big hoops on trucks but I am old school and it is your truck so have fun and do it your way. What are the paint plans?

Bob
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
Bhelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Looks like a nice truck, I am not a fan of the big hoops on trucks but I am old school and it is your truck so have fun and do it your way. What are the paint plans?

Bob
As of right now truck will be 2 tones and have 22" repop Texas edition wheels. Replumbing the bag setup and adding a 4 link ditching the mono leaf and rear drop components such as shackles and spring hangers. Paint color as of now wheel be charcoal metallic and a blue close to Pepsi can blue. Here's a pic of wheel going on truck
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
Bhelton

Here's a more recent pic, paint was and is bad so I'll be stripping body down for repaint.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Cape Codder

You are down so. with the blazing sun ,tough on paint. I see that clear delamination also when any laquer based materials are used under urethane topcoats.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Bhelton

Quote:
You are down so. with the blazing sun ,tough on paint. I see that clear delamination also when any laquer based materials are used under urethane topcoats.
I've done found a cab to replace this one, not fond of the huge sun roof in this one and I feel I can swap them out faster then stripping and repairing. Not to mention back of cab was cut for a crawl through
Old 09-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Cape Codder

Thats a lot easier than replacing a roof panel and fixing the rear of the cab. I like the wheels you have picked they look like factory take offs.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
Cape Codder

Since you mentioned sunroofs. My wife was shopping for a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and wanted a sunroof, the one they had in stock that she liked didn't have a sunroof. The salesman said no problem they would have one installed . I told him I would not even consider buying a new car that had been cut up from day one. The roof ribs end 6" behind the factory sunroof and the no sunroof ribs end 6" from the windshield. So you would have a sunroof cut through the factory ribs and 3/8th inch of sealer filling the gap. He could not understand why I left.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
Bhelton

Quote:
Since you mentioned sunroofs. My wife was shopping for a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and wanted a sunroof, the one they had in stock that she liked didn't have a sunroof. The salesman said no problem they would have one installed . I told him I would not even consider buying a new car that had been cut up from day one. The roof ribs end 6" behind the factory sunroof and the no sunroof ribs end 6" from the windshield. So you would have a sunroof cut through the factory ribs and 3/8th inch of sealer filling the gap. He could not understand why I left.
Only way I'd cut a new vehicle is to bag it or lay it out flat 😂 No way I'd cut a hole in roof and take away structure from it doing its job and putting a piece of glass in its place...don't blame you at all.
As for the wheels they are repop Texas edition wheels and I think they'll compliment the trucks body lines