The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
dznucks

Re: 3 Speed Column Rebuild

I just rebuilt my three speed column from two donor columns i got from board members. My old column bearings went bad and the shifter housing started to go out. i wanted to build a good column and just swap them out.

I ordered my bearings from LMC or Classic Parts, cant remember, but the lower bearing is an AC Delco & GM Part #3981935, the upper bearing is gm#5679205, and the lower spring is gm#7804771.

I have some left over parts that you cant buy retail, free to a good home. If someone wants them or has questions PM me.

Just to throw it out there....
I stripped the old paint from the column with aircraft paint remover (from advanced auto) and then used Rustoleum's autobody primer as a base/primer. It adhered very well to the sheet metal column and the pot-metal shifter housing. after that you can lay whatever color down you want.

This is not a difficult thing to do and thanks for posting the pics, i forgot to document how i rebuilt mine.

Last edited by dznucks; 11-22-2010 at 10:52 AM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote