The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
Ryan5O

Overheating Power Steering Pump _ Help

72 Chevy, 350

Sorry for a repeat topic, but none of the threads that I read through had a solution.

I got a new pump and steering gear. The gear is for a 73. After the install the system was up and running great. A couple weeks later, my power steering pump over heats to the point that the gauge level on the cap was melted.

I suspected there was a possibility of air in the lines, but was surprised that it would take a couple weeks for the problem to show itself.

Iv'e since replaced the pump and fluid. I've jacked the truck up and turned the wheel nearly 50 times while adding the new fluid. When I start the truck, it will begin to squeal after about a minute and the pump begins to heat up real fast.

I dont have any kinks in the lines. I would be grateful for any ideas? I'm at a loss at this point and getting ready to take it to the shop.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
RichardJ

Re: Overheating Power Steering Pump _ Help

>> turned the wheel nearly 50 times while adding the new fluid. <<

Learned a new trick two years ago. I had to have the rack on my C4 Vette rebuilt. The rebuilder sent instructions to use a vacuum pump and suck the air out from the reservoir tank, then refill.
Worked great. It sucked all the air out of the rack, pump, hoses and PS radiator.
When I fired the engine, the pump didn't make a sound and I haven't added fluid since.

You might add a PS radiator, but it sounds like it is heating too fast and too much for one to be of any help.
Could be a bad pump.

What fluid did you put in it? Is it foaming up?
Some of the Honda pumps are real sensitive to the fluid. If you didn't use Honda fluid, the fluid would aerate, make a lot of noise and heat up some.

Last edited by RichardJ; 05-24-2018 at 01:57 AM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
68Stepbed

Try flushing the system, removing all the power steering fluid and replace it with plain ATF. The trans fluid won't aerate and froth, and will maintain it's viscosity under high temps.

However, the fact that it heats up enough to melt the fluid level stick is strange and leads me to think there's another issue elsewhere. It's almost as if the gearbox isn't flowing properly. How well does it steer? Any hang ups or dead spots? Try driving through a large open parking lot changing directions quickly. See if drags or catches during quick turning.

If all that is working well, you may have too high output pressure. You may have to install a flow control valve. I would suggest calling the guys at Turn One for advice on which valve or restrictor you need.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Jrainman

The only thing I could think of that would cause a problem like this is a restriction in the system , Low or no flow rate , my guss is either supply line or return line is old, and as it heats up the line then gets soft and collapeses, just as you would find the same problem on a disc brake system making a caliper lock up as the fluid heats a rubber brake line collapeses restricting the caliper piston to open back up.

I would flush the system for dbre and install new hoses if I was having this issue .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
brown7373

Are either of the hoses close to or touching the exhaust manifold? I replaced mine along with a new 350 crate engine. Problem I have is the new hoses are close, but require some bending to fit...and the steel lines are VERY hard to bend. Does anyone make lines that are closer to the originals? Rock Auto, NAPA, Advance etc. all have the same.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Ryan5O

I'll try completely flushing the system this evening and maybe get some pics posted.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
mike16

some times the wrong diameter pulley somewhere in the system will spin the pump too fast and heat it up.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
ElKotze

You said new steering gear box, did you center it before putting on pitman arm?
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote