The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I-84 stops in Utah and joins I-80 what if,,,,

we had I-84 completed across the rest of the states to the east coast just like highway 30 (this is what I-84 used to be called) when it ran coast to coast?

Highway 30 was the first highway completed (about 1916) coast to coast with part of being right out front my old place In Oregon ..who of you has a home right off old highway 30 ?

It would make a whole new economy for each and every state ..

thx Pinchecharlie as your old map you found got me to thinking .. I like old maps .
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
pritch

Re: I-84 stops in Utah and joins I-80 what if,,,,

See now, I guess it's all in perspective. To me, I-84 starts in Utah (about 10 miles north of my place) at Echo Junction.

And I always thought US 40 began at Silver Creek junction (about 10 miles south of my place) and headed east to Denver and points beyond, but there are still parts of it in NorCal. I guess I-80 swallowed it up.

The road I live on has a name, but some still call it the Old Lincoln Highway. I guess I-80 ate it up, too, and I further suppose that at some point, Highway 40 and the OLH were the same road from Silver Creek west.

Yeah, old maps are way cool!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
See now, I guess it's all in perspective. To me, I-84 starts in Utah (about 10 miles north of my place) at Echo Junction.

And I always thought US 40 began at Silver Creek junction (about 10 miles south of my place) and headed east to Denver and points beyond, but there are still parts of it in NorCal. I guess I-80 swallowed it up.

The road I live on has a name, but some still call it the Old Lincoln Highway. I guess I-80 ate it up, too, and I further suppose that at some point, Highway 40 and the OLH were the same road from Silver Creek west.

Yeah, old maps are way cool!
Pritch,, i thought of you many times when traveling to and from Denver when my daughter lived there.. Echo comes to mind as it's at the Y in the road not far from you.. There was no start or beginning when it was called Highway 30 ,,was it?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I'm south of US30/Lincoln Hiway about 20-30 miles. I like to take drives on the old roads and hope to do more long distance one day. I fantasize about driving all the way out US30 and other old roads. Rt66 gets a lot of hype, but there are dozens of great old roads that take you through the America you miss on the interstate.

Here in Maryland is where the first national road was built in George Washington's time, and that is what it was called. Back then, there was no coast to coast USA and to be 100 miles into the mainland was the frontier. Rivers were the hiways. The National Road became US40 and now I-70 rides nearby the same path. I've been riding out US40 to the western tip of MD all my life since that's where my mom is from, and the folks moved back in the '70s. Mt. Airy is along old 40, but actually that's Ridgeville with everything grown together now. Downtown is down the hill where the train passed through. It was a water stop for the first commercial railroad, B&O. Now there is a tunnel.

US 50 is another old road I'd like to travel across. It starts in Ocean City, Maryland. After going through Washington, DC it passes through Virginia, then West Virginia, and back into Maryland in the very Southwestern tip in the mountains. The two ends show just how diverse the landscape is in this tiny little state that goes from ocean, across a major bay, across the Piedmont, and over the hills before crossing the nation

The weekend after Labor Day last year my daily driver was down getting head work at my buddy's place and I had his Sonoma. I decided to take a ride out US30 to Western PA and drop down past my mom's on an all day 400 mile loop
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-26-2018 at 09:59 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
fatbass

Cool thread!
I drive a stretch of the old Lincoln Highway from South Weber to Riverdale to my daughter's house all the time and it's a tight, winding 2 lane road with the speed limit between 30 and 40 mph. There is even a sign denoting it as the historic Lincoln Highway in that stretch.
It always makes me want to drive it in a Model T like the early motorists heading west in the '20s.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
95 S_Trucker

I am about 5 minutes south of route 30 in PA.

Its now a bypass closest to me, but about 25 miles the est its a 2 lane road, abd about 10 miles east its a 2 lane road again. As far as I know, the 2 lane part is stilled called Lincoln Highway in this area.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm south of US30/Lincoln Hiway about 20-30 miles. I like to take drives on the old roads and hope to do more long distance one day. I fantasize about driving all the way out US30 and other old roads. Rt66 gets a lot of hype, but there are dozens of great old roads that take you through the America you miss on the interstate.

Here in Maryland is where the first national road was built in George Washington's time, and that is what it was called. Back then, there was no coast to coast USA and to be 100 miles into the mainland was the frontier. Rivers were the hiways. The National Hiway became US40 and now I-70 rides nearby the same path. I've been riding out US40 to the western tip of MD all my life since that's where my mom is from, and the folks moved back in the '70s. Mt. Airy is along old 40, but actually that's Ridgeville with everything grown together now. Downtown is down the hill where the train passed through. It was a water stop for the first commercial railroad, B&O. Now there is a tunnel.

US 50 is another old road I'd like to travel across. It starts in Ocean City, Maryland. After going through Washington, DC it passes through Virginia, then West Virginia, and back into Maryland in the very Southwestern tip in the mountains. The two ends show just how diverse the landscape is in this tiny little state that goes from ocean, across a major bay, across the Piedmont, and over the hills before crossing the nation

The weekend after Labor Day last year my daily driver was down getting head work at my buddy's place and I had his Sonoma. I decided to take a ride out US30 to Western PA and drop down past my mom's on an all day 400 mile loop

Nice truck. Do you know if its a factory ZQ8 truck? I like those S10s/Sonomas(you should see my username).
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbass View Post
Cool thread!
I drive a stretch of the old Lincoln Highway from South Weber to Riverdale to my daughter's house all the time and it's a tight, winding 2 lane road with the speed limit between 30 and 40 mph. There is even a sign denoting it as the historic Lincoln Highway in that stretch.
It always makes me want to drive it in a Model T like the early motorists heading west in the '20s.
I know that stretch very well. I worked for Valley Design back in '90 or '91. They were (still are as far as I know) based in South Weber. I was building that state liquor store that's in the Newgate Mall parking lot and one day I had to drive a backhoe from the yard to that job. That was the first time I ever had to drive equipment on the highway and I was just a little bit freaked out

Then about what, 6 or 7 years ago I built that new K-2 building at South Weber elementary school. I have some pictures around here somewhere of installing those windmills on that campus. Pretty wild day, that project.
Ol' Green
Old 05-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
pritch

Here they are:

Ol' Green
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Nice truck. Do you know if its a factory ZQ8 truck? I like those S10s/Sonomas(you should see my username).
Yes, it handled great on the switchbacks. He has it tuned and breathing nicely. He's in the process of tucking a turbo under it. I want one! I loved that truck.

I drove by Shawnee State Park and went in by the lake. Near there is Shanksville where the plane went down on 9/11, but I didn't go see the site. I came into a small town in the highlands, Centerville, where a sign in the middle of the road said "Event in Progress... Caution... Heavy Pedestrian Traffic". I see signs about a quilt contest, so no big excitement there. But at the other end of town was a farmers and thrashers jubilee on a permanent grounds some steam assoc. carries. Nice event with everything you can imagine steam powered for ag and logging, from saws, to hay bailers, to cider mills.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-26-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
fatbass

I never even noticed the windmills before. Cool pics and right on the old highway.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #12
leddzepp

Traveling on I 80 right now. Snapped a pic of this cool rig at a gas station
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:47 AM   #13
abig84

Used to live not to far from it when I lived in Lansing Il. It was like 4 miles south of me, been on that road many many times, my mom lives kinda by Warsaw Indiana which is like a 2 hour drive down rt 30
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #14
GOPAPA

My neighbor who will be 87 this fall told me a week or so ago that there is a highway 80 around San Deigo .. I said ,,don't think so Herb cause we have had for a long time a,,,,,, I-80 that goes through Sacramento and onto the San Franciso and stops at the ocean..

Well ,,today Herb said he looked up old maps around lower California and says ,,they used to have a highway called 80.. I believe him ,,so thought I would ask if any of you remember a hightway 80.. of course not many of you are 86 ,,so maybe it was before even my time ..
Old 06-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

US80 was a cross country hiway from the Atlantic east of Savanna, GA to San Diego, CA till the late-50s. Now it stops at Dallas, TX

Tim

Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I've done some looking at old roads. There was The Old Spanish trail that went from St. Augustine to San Diego before the numbered hwy system. Part of that became US80 in AZ, maybe CA. But there was the Dixie Overland Hwy that is basically what became US80 when the numbered roads began in the '20s.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...29060739216442

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/us80.htm

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 06-14-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I've done some looking at old roads. There was the Old Spanish trail that went from St. Augustine to San Diego before the numbered hwy system. Paint of that became US80 in AZ, maybe CA. But there was the Dixie Overland Hwy that is basically what became US80 when the numbered roads began in the '20s.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/us80.htm
interesting read Tim ,,, I sure like it knowing that all highways east to west are even numbers while north to south are un even numbers , I still use a paper map a lot
Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

The diagonal roads always mess me up. We have US340 that start here and goes south. It is marked N & S. From here the road is more E-W than N-S.

Funny, I just looked it up ad wiki says in MD it's marked East & West. I don't think so. Could be wrong. I'll have to check
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ai9vb5BJfvSsxS

Tim

Old 06-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #19
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Usends.com has some good reading. I'm an highway junkie, so far I've done 66, 64, 431 231end to end. Alot of 41 and 31 from north end in Michigan to Birmingham Al. and tons of sections of others. Try to work them into our vacations. We just drive on alot of our vacations. Have a 2yr old and 1 yr old right now so we have to wait a little while for a major drive.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #20
GOPAPA

Hubscrub ,,I am going to check this site out when I get more time ,,sounds like a good road map for some of the famous roads to travel... We have one here in Idaho that I sure like .. its highway 12 ( it is between Lewiston Id and Lolo Montana ) with the clear water river running beside it ,, it's up in the timber country and you may see bear along the way and fishing is great with camp areas to stop at along the way .. not good for winter driving but a cool ride durring the dry season .

I probably will never get to do it ,,but I know some guys and their wives who had gotten the book on where all of Route 66 is still left and they travel it all the way from the begin ing to the end .. I would like that road to follow for sure.. and I also read that there are old style buildings being renovated just like they were many years ago just for us who want to travel this highway 66
Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

That US340 I was talking about was originally built to connect US70 in NC to US80 in GA. It kept getting extended until it made it to Frederick, MD for it's northern terminus and down into FL I believe. It's my way to get to my sister's in the Shenandoah Valley (South Fork... the smaller nicer valley). It follows the Shenandoah River down through VA. A really nice ride. Over in the big valley is US11 that runs with I-81 through VA. US11 follows the North Fork of the Shenandoah and is also a really nice drive. It was the old wagon trail that settlers used when they went from PA down into the Smokies. Also the Acadians trek to Bayou Country. It runs real long, from Rouses Point, NY to New Orleans... over 1,600 miles.

Tim