The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Caminuvik

Drop fuel tank for brake line .

I have a 91 chev 1500 4x4 long box, the rear brake line is rusted out and runs in the frame rails, it looks like I would have to drop the fuel tank to replace the line. Please tell me I am wrong. Thanks
Caminuvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: Drop fuel tank for brake line .

Why? Its the filler necks 3 bolts and then 2 bolts holding the straps. Takes like 15min to drop a tank....
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Keith Seymore

I just replaced the brake lines on my GMT800 style truck.

I wrapped some baling wire around the rear brake line when I removed it. I tied the wire to the new brake line and pulled the wire to fish it back into place.

It doesn't go up in the frame rail, so it is not exactly the same, but it does have some tight spots between the tank and the rail, as well as other fuel lines and wire harnesses.

I assume you are using a generic straight line. Mine was pre-bent and I think it would have been easier if it had been straight.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:57 PM   #4
Caminuvik

Looks like I can find 15 min. to drop the tank, will I be able to siphon the tank or does it have an anti-siphon plate. Could use the gas thief's method and use a screwdriver, as 3/4 of a tank is starting to get heavy for me.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
95 S_Trucker

I never drop the tank when I do brake lines. Pull the old one out. Slide the new one in. Adjust it so it is attached to the frame with the factory clips.

If you do decide to drop the tank, you will always have to unhook the fuel lines. I see you are up north, they rust together and they sometimes break as soon as you touch them. Then it turns into new fuel lines and a new sending unit. Something to consider.

Make sure you use a double wall flare and an inverted union to connect your new brake line to your existing brake line. Do not use a compression fitting.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminuvik View Post
Looks like I can find 15 min. to drop the tank, will I be able to siphon the tank or does it have an anti-siphon plate. Could use the gas thief's method and use a screwdriver, as 3/4 of a tank is starting to get heavy for me.
Floor jack for the weight.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
Caminuvik

Trying to disconnect rusted line, bp blaster, taping, wrenching, swearing, and threatening all to no avail. Will continue with this method for a few more days before brute force of a long snipe, unless someone can suggest an alternative. Not sure if heat would be wise? I have more time than money, so hoping I don't have to replace more than I can afford. LOL.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
abig84

I've replaced many of these and never dropped the tank. Just leave the old line there and feed the new one right along side of it
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Caminuvik

Well after many doses of BP Blaster, taping and twisting have the brake line out, lowered the fuel tank a bit to access line clips. Hoping to be in town tomorrow to see about new lines, not sure of how much more expensive formed lines are than straight lines and bending. Concerned about bending and kinking line and how much of a hassle this would be. Auto parts store I went to does not have formed lines thus it would be the dealer, will get prices tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
95 S_Trucker

I use the coated sticks, so they never rust again, I am not a fan of the rolls, they are hard to get them perfectly straight.

I use this style of brake line bender(this one is 1/4"):

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...yABEgJ_efD_BwE

The bender is cheap, and it works great. I also have a 3/16"
Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #11
Caminuvik

Thanks Trucker, good point on the roll. Phoned Chev dealer, all they had was the roll, suggested I try a jobber, said it was 3/16, humm. I then went to Lordco, near beer store (the only thing positive) got the straight pieces, I said it looked smaller, was told that it was 3/16 thats what I needed, humm. Got home and I tried it, the new unions and line too small, looks like 1/4 to me. Why would I be given this information by both places? I guess I need to take some resposibiliy as I chose not to take the rusted, leaky old line in, I should know better by now, I am old enough.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #12
95 S_Trucker

The rear circuit is 1/4". After the split at the rear axle it is 3/16". The front circuits are 3/16.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
Caminuvik

Thanks Trucker, it is nice to know what was going on, thought I might had a Frankenstein, will be waiting for them to open this morning., will check Princess Auto for the bender.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #14
Caminuvik

Picked up correct size line and a cheap bender $20.00 with tax. Did the bends and fit back in the frame rail. I have 3 broken plastic clips, I only broke one myself, are these readily available, forgot to ask when I was getting brake lines. Was easier to get in than get out.