The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
MrK5

1966 C20 project

I'm the happy new owner of a mostly original '66 C20.

My first vehicle was a '64 C10. My wife and I started dating in that truck 25 years ago. We'd been looking for something similar and ended up buying this '66.

It is mostly primer gray because as surface rust appeared we would sand it and spray the primer over it.

The person we bought it from had owned it since 1972. I don't really think he was a "hot rod" guy; he just took good care of it and fixed things when they needed it and kept it mostly original.

The actual mileage is 100,000 plus that odometer reading.

He used it to haul a camper and a few years after he purchased it they had to replace the rear axle. Apparently he was on a trip out of state and the bearings burnt up and the only way he could get it fixed was to just swap out the axle.

You can see above it has the dealer installed AC option. I even found the receipt for it in the glove box.

It still works and he recently recharged it.

There were lots of neat things in the glove box.

I found receipts for just about everything done to the truck. Motor was rebuilt in 1990 and has about 15000 miles since.

First thing I've done to it is replace the front tires. They were worn out bias ply tires and I'm pretty sure I found the receipt for them dated from 1987. It's amazing the difference the new tires make.

Needless to say we're excited about owning this truck.
MrK5 is offline   Reply With Quote