The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2023, 02:35 AM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Power Steering Pump Rear Fitting Question.

So I am swapping in a LS in my truck. In order to use the LS power steering pump with the original flare fitting hose I swapped out the rear fitting. Took the o-ring style out and replaced it with a flare fitting style.
My question is, the new fitting I put in only has a single port feeding into the reservoir thru the center of the "steam" of the fitting. While the o-ring style fitting I removed had multiple holes feeding into the reservoir.
Should I be concerned, or will the new "old style" fitting work just fine in the new pump?

Fitting on bottom is the new fitting. Fitting on the top is the original from the LS PS pump
Attached Images

D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 11:23 AM   #2
v30crewcab

Re: Power Steering Pump Rear Fitting Question.

either one should work, but the oring is in the wrong spot on that lower one.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #3
sfont66

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
So I am swapping in a LS in my truck. In order to use the LS power steering pump with the original flare fitting hose I swapped out the rear fitting. Took the o-ring style out and replaced it with a flare fitting style.
My question is, the new fitting I put in only has a single port feeding into the reservoir thru the center of the "steam" of the fitting. While the o-ring style fitting I removed had multiple holes feeding into the reservoir.
Should I be concerned, or will the new "old style" fitting work just fine in the new pump?

Fitting on bottom is the new fitting. Fitting on the top is the original from the LS PS pump
I agree with v30crewcab the o-ring on the bottom fitting in your picture should be moved to the lower groove, to match the location of the o-ring on the top fitting.
Moving the o-ring may reveal additional ports.
The diameter of the “stem” on the lower fitting does appear to be smaller, I’m not sure what that would effect if anything.
This must be an aftermarket fitting? I do know the originals swap just fine with no adverse effects . If you don’t have the fitting from your original pump that required a flare fitting, I would be inclined to try the New flare fitting in the LS pump.
The pics are of a original pump fitting from a 72 and one from a LS pump.
Very little difference can be seen, except the original on the left accepts flare type fittings and the Ls pump fitting on the right accepts o-ring type fittings for the pressure hose to the steering box
Swapping the fittings can be a less expensive way to convert, unless you need to replace the steering box and pressure hose . Then you may want to replace everything with the newer style box and hoses.
Give your new part a try after moving the o-ring, it may work just fine.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfont66 View Post
I agree with v30crewcab the o-ring on the bottom fitting in your picture should be moved to the lower groove, to match the location of the o-ring on the top fitting.
Moving the o-ring may reveal additional ports.
The diameter of the “stem” on the lower fitting does appear to be smaller, I’m not sure what that would effect if anything.
This must be an aftermarket fitting? I do know the originals swap just fine with no adverse effects . If you don’t have the fitting from your original pump that required a flare fitting, I would be inclined to try the New flare fitting in the LS pump.
The pics are of a original pump fitting from a 72 and one from a LS pump.
Very little difference can be seen, except the original on the left accepts flare type fittings and the Ls pump fitting on the right accepts o-ring type fittings for the pressure hose to the steering box
Swapping the fittings can be a less expensive way to convert, unless you need to replace the steering box and pressure hose . Then you may want to replace everything with the newer style box and hoses.
Give your new part a try after moving the o-ring, it may work just fine.
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't even thought of moving the o-ring. I will have to check and see if there are any other ports under it.

Unfortunately, the PO kept the original pump when he kept the motor so I had to go aftermarket. It is from inline tube (P/N: INL11323).

I did find an adapter from CPP that installs into the o-ring fitting and switches it over to flare. Thinking about just going that route. I don't like having an extra fitting but don't want to burn up a pump.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote