The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
my67c20

New Garage

So after years of sharing a garage with my daily drivers, I have finally decided to pull the trigger and build a new garage / workshop. The city will allow me 1000 sq ft and i was thinking 25 x 40. The plan would be to have a 16' and a 9' door, with the peak running left to right when facing the doors. Want to put in a lift, a dedicated work area and maybe a small office area. Wonder what other features or other stuff people have done, or other considerations. Feedback is appreciated.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
flashed

Re: New Garage

Im in to see more .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
snj8198

Consider extra thick footings for the post lift when pouring the floor. You will have to have the lift you want picked out and it's placement within the mechanical space measured out. Also, a dedicated room for the air compressor if you plan to have a big noisy one. The garage doors will need ceiling space when rolled up which will affect lighting and the lift. You'll be spending a bit on 220v locations for welder, the lift, and any other tools running such. Heating and cooling, perhaps consider something like a 30-36" diameter industrial fan mounted up high on the warm side of the building for cross-flow ventilation and cooling.

I'm in the process of doing the same.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #4
Pro299

Consider the depth. If I understand your intent, you'll be pulling into a work bay that is only 25 feet deep. By the time you fill it with a truck that is 18 - 20 feet or more, you won't have much room. You'll need space for an engine hoist to maneuver, for instance. I have no restrictions out in the country, so I made my shop 40 X 50. It is nice to be able to move around the lift even with a crew cab in there. I would consider making the depth of the work bay a key factor.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
my67c20

Pro299, rethinking the depth based on your comments. Hate working half in half out for those odd jobs that take up more room.

snj8198, no lift picked out yet, but leaning towards a 4 post. Like the idea of being able to stack vehicles, or just lift the project from my eyesight so i don't cry so hard at how much money i am bleeding.

Having enough power is definitely on my list of needs. Pondering whether i want roll up doors or swinging, just to avoid the overhead components. Cooling is a definite, but like the idea of putting in a large fan for those few days that working with the door open might be nice. Keep the input coming and appreciate it
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote